Topics

danger, danger nvda

Pete <emac00@...>

Hi
The proliferation of the famous Microsoft Visual C + + redistributable packages is dangerous to nvva.
Windows loads multiple instances of the d l l s and not all instances are the same version or even the correct version for a given program causing untraceable bugs in nvda along with other programs like explorer or the w10 file manager.
There doesn't seem to be backward compatibility say from visual c + + 2015 to earlier versions.
A second dangerous trend is the proliferation of multiple versions of dot net frame work.
Again here no apparent backward compatibility seems to exists.
So one has his or her windows computer cluttered up with multiple versions in most cases taking up hard drive real estate and causing conflicts.
A lot of the nvda bugs possibly can be linked to miss matched versions of d l l s being loaded by windows.
A third concern is the old version of python being used. If it's time to upgrade from say visual c + + 2008 it should be time to update to a newer version of python.
Shouldn't it?
Pete

Patrick Le Baudour

Hello,

All this seems very alarmist and very speculative, so, do you have hard facts and bugs examples to back it up ?
What danger are you talking about ? Having bugs ? All applications have bugs, and so far most nvda problems have been corrected or pinpointed to something else.
You might also be telling all this in the wrong place, this is mainly nvda users, not a developement board.

As for technical details, I can't speak for nvda, but in general,afaik, dlls conflicts possibilities have been much lowered since Windows 98 and Me... most programs targets are specific dlls versions, that are often provided with it, etc.

Also, apart from the python thing, what are you advocating For? Warning about a problem isn't useful if it can't be helped anyway, is it?

-- Patrick

Le 25/03/2016 14:29, Pete a écrit :

[...]

Is it?
Do you have facts and so on to prove otherwise?
Untraceable bugs exist in nvda, the danger is in complaisantly thinking all of the bugs are in nvda's code itself.
I am not advocating an upgrade to the latest python version. It was merely a question.

Pete

On 3/25/2016 10:19 AM, Patrick Le Baudour wrote:
[...]

  Here is where you can find out more information about visual c + + version incompatibility problems.
  Visual C + + problems

[...]

  Here is a more complete explanation.

Learn Why Mixing Multiple Visual Studio Versions Is Evil ...

[...]

Well, I have a multipul installs of dotnet from 3.5 to 4.6 here on 7 win10 has 5 and does not run other versions.
v3.5 works on v2, and v4 on v3 the latest dotnets should work as far back as 2.
As for visual c, they shouldn't conflict as such because certain programs need certain libraries.
Now, my only wish would be that windows does what linux does.
The libs don't take up that much space but even so.
I'd prefur say you install something or try to do something.\
Say I want to run x program but its missing y z dll.
Windows is unable to start this program because *.dll is not loaded please reinstall.
To avoid this I load just about every library I can to stop that error.
It happens with codecs.
If I am using linux, I type in something to install, it says this needs such and such component, do you want to install it or it tells you what to do.
I have often installed programs for ssh and a few things on linux, and got messages like this program is not installed, or this program is part of another install for servers, or in deed, unable to start because this thing is missing.
However in linux you can then install it because it basically tells you what to install.
If ms would do the same at least with its libs then we wouldn't have this issue better still with linux it tells you what is needed, what could be nice, what is not but if you need it it would be nice or simply whatever.
In windows, I have slim dx, java latest, klite codec, visual c 2005sp1 2008sp1 2010 2012 2013 2015 2016 and their 64 bit equivilants.
On the subject of python, both 3x and 2x are still supported 2.7x is the version a lot of stuff uses however its a good point a lot of stuff has moved on from the older releases.

On 26/03/2016 2:29 a.m., Pete wrote:

[...]

.

Pete <emac00@...>

Hi Shaun

Multiple versions of dot net behave better. Some games wanted dot net 2.0 to run and a t i and intel install managers use dot net 2.0. My old x p computer had dot net 1.1 2.0 3.0 3.5 and 4.0 installed. I need to figure out a way to capture the info for the visual c + + errors to present them here. Not sure how to do this. Some of the v c messages are in a dialog box but the latest things I am talking about I think are in a balloon or some thing that disappears. The message was about conflicting instances of some v c dot d l l being loaded.
What dist & ver of Linux are you using?
Pete

On 3/26/2016 12:36 AM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

Hmmm.
Well I havn't touched linux for a while.
When I went to school it was fedora 4 or was it 3 I forget.
I had an old synth then, the sound stuff started after school.
I fiddled with grml for a bit, then ran vinux 3 then ubuntu shell.
I fiddled with arch while I was sick but never got it working again and due to my system I used it for not being active for a while its stopped working I guess my time is out of date.
My plan is to use sonar but to be honest linux is a hobby for me.
I am a primarily windows user, and so is just about everyone on the network both remote and local so right now I don't use linux.
Its been a fiddle here and there nothing serious.

On 28/03/2016 7:08 a.m., Pete wrote:

[...]

Arlene

Oh, It sounds like Linux is very fiddly. I had a friend who was having a
friend fix her windows computer. He wanted to put it on her computer. But
she had to heavily convince him that it was not usable for blind people. I'm
glad you use it for a hobby. I don't know it. But if you like it use it as
your hobby. I thought it was an old old program that hardly nobody uses.

[...]

I haven't tried linux since i became blind, but from what I read, there are accessible distributions and standard ones are too, with proper configuration. I'm a bit unsure about installation, though, and about multiple boot system accessibility, so I haven't tried yet. I'll probably try a live-DVD soon to test their orca screenreader.
Anyway even if it is small compared to windows, it is widely used. It's nice when one like to be able to control about everything, and nowadays distributions like ubuntu make it easy to used for everyone - or at least everyone with sight.

-- Patrick

Mallard

Very untrue!

Linux has hundreds of distros, of course, a bit like Android and its many versions and variants, dependent on manufacturers.

But there are quite a few distros made for the visually impaired, like Talking Arch (that's definitely a bit fiddly, from what I understand), SonarLinux (not fiddly), and Vinux (based on Ubuntu, and not fiddly at all).

Linux is becoming more and more accessible, although there are some programmes I can't find a match for yet.

Windows is definitely more blind-friendly, but all this fear of Linux within the blind community is unnecessary, and it's a pity that we should deprive ourselves of more choices.

I have two Linux installations on my pc, and I alternate them with my Windows 10.
Happily using Linux, although still in a limited way, because of my laziness more than its inaccessibility... lol

Have a go, guys, it's fun!
Ciao,
Ollie

Il 27/03/2016 22:26, Arlene ha scritto:
[...]

There lots of distributions, easiest one I found was vinux, up to 5.0 now.
I was reading about wine. I wanted to put together a small linux system I could run nvda and the windows command prompt in to run some simple windows programs. Installing and configuring especially with dependencies missing and no list of dependencys listed say in a text file in the source tar ball discouraged me on the project. I like the gentoo boot cd-rom. It uses speakup with software synth. I don't care for Z shell would rather use bash or even ash.
I would still like to do nvda running on a linux system using wine!
I would welcome any help in this endeavor.
Thanks!
Pete