Topics

Determining what settings in group policy are causing NVDA to not pick up data from controols

Pranav Lal

Hi all,

I was trying to install mysql and found the installer to be inaccessible.
This was on my work laptop. I tried the installation on my home machine and
had no problems.

The work machine has all kinds of security policies applied. It runs Windows
10 version 1809.

Many screens in the installer were being reported as "unknown" by NVDA.

Are there settings in windows group policy which would cause NVDA not to
see controls correctly?

Pranav

Luke Davis

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020, Pranav Lal wrote:

I was trying to install mysql and found the installer to be inaccessible.
This was on my work laptop. I tried the installation on my home machine and
had no problems.

Many screens in the installer were being reported as "unknown" by NVDA.
Are there settings in windows group policy which would cause NVDA not to
see controls correctly?
I don't know the answer to that question.
However I do know, that some installers, when run as a non-admin user who then has to elevate using a password, do not work correctly.
I have found this, for example, with NotepadPlusPlus, among others.

The issue goes away if you install as an admin user.

Luke

Pranav Lal

Hi Luke,
<snip The issue goes away if you install as an admin user.
PL] HMM, I was running the installer with elevated privilege's and not as an
administrative user. You make a very interesting point. I wonder how to
determine whether the problem is NVDA or the installer?

Pranav

Luke Davis

On Tue, 1 Sep 2020, Pranav Lal wrote:

Hi Luke,
<snip The issue goes away if you install as an admin user.
PL] HMM, I was running the installer with elevated privilege's and not as an
administrative user. You make a very interesting point. I wonder how to
determine whether the problem is NVDA or the installer?
I think I raised this issue on the addons or devel lists, I can't remember which, last year.

Somebody was able to point to what might be happening, but it didn't present any obvious way to solve the problem, other than to install using an admin account, or rewrite the Null-Soft installer.

Luke