Different focus from say all and arrowing through

Christopher Bartlett

While proofreading a long document using say-all, I'd find a place for editing, and hit control to stop speech, but then when I'd arrow through the document, I'd be in a different place.  I have focus follows caret set in review, so I figured the focus would, well, follow the system caret.  I thought the system caret would travel with the say'all cursor.
I'm a little rusty on NVDA concepts, since for a long time, I did most of my work on a Chromebook, but now I'm using my win 10 machine a lot more again, and MS Office.

Christopher Bartlett

--
Christopher Bartlett

Tyler Spivey

What are you pressing to start say all?
There are two of them. One starts from the system cursor, the other one starts from the review cursor. The one that starts from the review cursor doesn't move the system cursor.

On 10/20/2021 1:49 PM, Christopher Bartlett wrote:
While proofreading a long document using say-all, I'd find a place for editing, and hit control to stop speech, but then when I'd arrow through the document, I'd be in a different place.  I have focus follows caret set in review, so I figured the focus would, well, follow the system caret.  I thought the system caret would travel with the say'all cursor.
I'm a little rusty on NVDA concepts, since for a long time, I did most of my work on a Chromebook, but now I'm using my win 10 machine a lot more again, and MS Office.
Christopher Bartlett
--
Christopher Bartlett

mike mcglashon

Block quote:
What are you pressing to start say all?
There are two of them. One starts from the system cursor, the other one starts from the review cursor. The one that starts from the review cursor doesn't move the system cursor.
End quote:

So, which keystroke invokes which "say all mode"?

Please advise as you like.

Mike M.

Mike mcglashon
Email: Michael.mcglashon@comcast.net
There are two of them. One starts from the system cursor, the other one starts from the review cursor. The one that starts from the review cursor doesn't move the system cursor.

On 10/20/2021 1:49 PM, Christopher Bartlett wrote:
While proofreading a long document using say-all, I'd find a place for
editing, and hit control to stop speech, but then when I'd arrow
through the document, I'd be in a different place. I have focus
follows caret set in review, so I figured the focus would, well,
follow the system caret. I thought the system caret would travel with the say'all cursor.
I'm a little rusty on NVDA concepts, since for a long time, I did most
of my work on a Chromebook, but now I'm using my win 10 machine a lot
more again, and MS Office.

Christopher Bartlett

--
Christopher Bartlett

Gene

Are you using browse mode or working directly in the program?  That may be what is causing the problem.  If you are using browse mode in a word processor, try reading when not in browse mode and see if tracking is correct.

If my suggestion doesn’t solve the probloem, I have another one but I’ll wait to see what you say about this one.

Gene
While proofreading a long document using say-all, I'd find a place for editing, and hit control to stop speech, but then when I'd arrow through the document, I'd be in a different place.  I have focus follows caret set in review, so I figured the focus would, well, follow the system caret.  I thought the system caret would travel with the say'all cursor.
I'm a little rusty on NVDA concepts, since for a long time, I did most of my work on a Chromebook, but now I'm using my win 10 machine a lot more again, and MS Office.

Christopher Bartlett

--
Christopher Bartlett

Gene

The command you are talking about does exactly the opposite.  It means that the review position will change as the cursor changes in a word processor document where there is a cursor or in a list and perhaps elsewhere.  It doesn’t cause the system focus to change when you use screen review.  That’s one of the points of screen review and object navigation.  You can review things and keep your position unchanged where you are working as your review position changes.

Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2021 4:54 PM

[...]

In laptop keyboard mode, I'm using NVDa+a to start say all.
I have not used NVDA+space to enter browse mode in word.  I guess I could check to see if I'm entering by default, but I haven't seen any signs of doing so: as in typing an h and moving to a heading.
Christopher Bartlett

Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2021 4:54 PM