Topics

Different profiles for different instances of the same program?

Anne Günther

Hi,
is it possible to run two different instances for the same program with different profiles?
From what I've gathered so far, if you activate a profile manually it's used for the whole pc. Or am I  wrong?
regards, Guenni

Pranav Lal

Hi,

I think you can have multiple profiles for a particular program but you will have to activate them manually. Profiles are restricted to the program for which they have been created. They are not system wide.

Pranav

john doe

Actually, as long as you don't use trigger, you can have as many profile
as you want.
Eatch profile will need to have a unique name though.

--
John Doe

Quentin Christensen

Also just to pick up one point Pranav made - profiles triggered by an application automatically get activated when that program has focus and deactivated when the program no longer has focus (when you alt+tab to another program for instance).  If you manually trigger a profile, even if it is one which is otherwise triggered by an app, it will be active until you manually deactivate it.

So as others have noted, you can have different profiles you use for different instances of the one program, but you will need to manually activate them.  There is a longstanding issue open for having configuration profiles for different websites (the main use which springs to my mind for multiple configurations for one app) https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/4442 however it is a lot more complex than it at first seems.  I'd encourage you to subscribe to that issue (and comment on it if you can add something) if you are interested in that specifically.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
John Doe