Topics

Disable report of alerts from Zoom

CARLOS-ESTEBAN

Hi all.

Some users have this situation: In a Zoom meetin, when a person have problems of conection and leave, NVDA sais who leave the meetin.

But if the user read somme ting with NVDA, for example, slides from a presentation, NVDA stop the reading and talk the alert.

The options report notifications and report dinamic contend changes disabled in the category object presentation dont disable the alerts from Zoom. Some idea? have a developer a temporal solution or an app module?

Thanks.

--

Carlos Esteban Martínez Macías.

Músico (pianista) y también ayuda a usuarios ciegos con el uso de lectores de pantalla y tecnología.

Musicien (pianist) and also help to the blind people in the use of screen readers and technology. Certified expert in the screen reader NVDA.

Hi,

This is something Zoom will need to look at, as these alerts come from places other than what is considered main Zoom window.

Technical: for resident geeks, the app module for Zoom that comes with NVDA uses eventHandler.requestEvents function to ask NVDA to keep an eye on MSAA events outside of Zoom. Normally events are raised by elements located inside an app’s main window, but this is not the case in Zoom. In other words, fixing this will require countless hours of advocacy and emails to Zoom developers to help them reimagine accessibility API’s and such.

Cheers,

Joseph

Some users have this situation: In a Zoom meetin, when a person have problems of conection and leave, NVDA sais who leave the meetin.

But if the user read somme ting with NVDA, for example, slides from a presentation, NVDA stop the reading and talk the alert.

The options report notifications and report dinamic contend changes disabled in the category object presentation dont disable the alerts from Zoom. Some idea? have a developer a temporal solution or an app module?

Thanks.

--

Carlos Esteban Martínez Macías.

Músico (pianista) y también ayuda a usuarios ciegos con el uso de lectores de pantalla y tecnología.

Musicien (pianist) and also help to the blind people in the use of screen readers and technology. Certified expert in the screen reader NVDA.

Gene

This is forced speech and I see nothing in Zoom that allows it to be turhned off. Technically, I'm not sure how this is done, I suspect something like an Aria tag. Whatever the case, I think the Zoom developers should be notified that notifications such as who enters and leaves meetings and the automatic notification of chat messages should be able to be turned off. Forced speech anywhere should never be unable to be turned off.

Some users have this situation: In a Zoom meetin, when a person have problems of conection and leave, NVDA sais who leave the meetin.

But if the user read somme ting with NVDA, for example, slides from a presentation, NVDA stop the reading and talk the alert.

The options report notifications and report dinamic contend changes disabled in the category object presentation dont disable the alerts from Zoom. Some idea? have a developer a temporal solution or an app module?

Thanks.

--

Carlos Esteban Martínez Macías.

Músico (pianista) y también ayuda a usuarios ciegos con el uso de lectores de pantalla y tecnología.

Musicien (pianist) and also help to the blind people in the use of screen readers and technology. Certified expert in the screen reader NVDA.

I don't know who's organizing the meetings in question, but if you have the ability to contact them in advance, there are settings they can tweak to make the join/leave notifications be triggered only for the meeting Host and Co-Hosts.

See this Zoom Support Page: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115005756143-Changing-your-meeting-settings
and search on, "Sound notification when someone join or leave."

Although this may not have a connection to text notification of same, I'm willing to bet that it might.  It's worth checking out, at the very least.

Zoom is going to have a lot of refining to do, and for reasons of accessibility plus a lot of others.  I doubt that they ever, in their wildest dreams, foresaw the app taking off as quickly and gaining as many users as it has in a very short period of time.  While there are limited human resources for tweaking Zoom, they certainly can't make changes for any problems unless those problems are reported to them and the changes that would help are spelled out.

          ~ Oscar Wilde

benmoxey@...

Hi everyone

Coming in late on this discussion, so hope I’m on the right track!

Ensure you update to the latest build of Zoom and you will notice that they have added the ability to turn on and off alerts for screen readers in Settings/Accessibility. I only spotted this yesterday when installing it for a client.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ben

[...]

I doubt it. I suspect it is triggered in some way by text appearing or disappeariing from the attendees list. Also, in the Zoom meetings I've attended, there was no sound like a bell when someone joined or left.

[...]

I haven't been offered the update yet.

[...]

Hi Gene

You can check manually using the menu. Place focus on the main Zoom window and hit Control + F to navigate to the find edit box. Hit tab to navigate to the menu.

Cheers

Ben

[...]

Hello.

I updated Zoom and is possible enable o disable the alerts, is an excellent change.

Thanks to all for the answers.

Regards.

El 10/8/2020 a las 19:34, benmoxey@... escribió:
[...]

Thanks. n

I'll look but I might as well just wait for it. I don't care much if I hear the announcements or not and there are times I like to know when someone enters or leaves.

[...]

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Good news Ben, thanks for that.

[...]

Rob Hudson

How do you get to the accessibility settings.
I joined a test meeting with the zoom meetings client, and I found no setting sbutton anywhere that talked about it. I found audio settings and such, but nothing about accessibility.

[...]

Carlos Esteban Martnez Macas.

Msico (pianista) y tambin ayuda a usuarios ciegos con el uso de
lectores de pantalla y tecnologa.

Musicien (pianist) and also help to the blind people in the use of
screen readers and technology. Certified expert in the screen reader NVDA.

ExpertocertificadoenNVDA <https://certification.nvaccess.org>

Angelo Sonnesso

Hot Keys and Keyboard Shortcuts for Zoom
Overview
There are keyboard shortcuts that you can use on the Zoom Desktop Client for
Windows and Mac that allow you to navigate the Zoom settings without using
your mouse. They are listed in this article and also available in your Zoom
desktop client settings, under Accessibility.

Prerequisites
Windows Desktop Client Version 3.5.19869.0701 or higher
Mac Desktop Client Version 3.5.19877.0701 or higher
Linux Desktop Client Version 1.1.32904.1120 or higher
iPad with iOS App Version 4.4.5 (55341.0715) or higher
Windows Icon Windows
You can view and edit keyboard shortcuts in your Accessibility settings.

Log in to your Zoom desktop client.
Click your profile picture then click Settings.
Settings Option Under Profile Picture
Click Keyboard Shortcuts.

The keyboard shortcuts will appear.
Editing Shortcuts
You can edit a shortcut by clicking on the shortcut and then pressing the
shortcut key that you would like to use.

Some of the shortcuts can be used as global shortcuts, meaning they will
work even when Zoom is not in focus. To enable a shortcut globally, check
the option next to the shortcut.

Available Keyboard Shortcuts
F6: Navigate among Zoom popup windows.
Ctrl+Alt+Shift: Move focus to Zoom's meeting controls
PageUp: View previous 25 video stream in gallery view
PageDown: View next 25 video stream in gallery view
Alt: Turn on/off the option Always show meeting control toolbar in
Accessibility Settings
Alt+F1: Switch to active speaker view in video meeting
Alt+F2: Switch to gallery video view in video meeting
Alt+F4: Close the current window
Alt+V: Start/Stop Video
Alt+A: Mute/unmute audio
Alt+M: Mute/unmute audio for everyone except host Note: For the meeting host
only
Alt+S: Launch share screen window and stop screen share Note: Will only work
when meeting control toolbar has focus
Alt+Shift+S: Start/stop new screen share Note: Will only work when meeting
control toolbar has focus
Alt+T: Pause or resume screen share Note: Will only work when meeting
control toolbar has focus
Alt+R: Start/stop local recording
Alt+C: Start/stop cloud recording
Alt+P: Pause or resume recording
Alt+N: Switch camera
Alt+F: Enter or exit full screen
Alt+H: Display/hide In-Meeting Chat panel
Alt+U:Display/hide Participants panel
Alt+I: Open Invite window
Alt+Y: Raise/lower hand
Alt+Shift+R: Gain Remote Control
Alt+Shift+G: Stop Remote Control
Ctrl+2: Read active speaker name
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+H: Show/Hide floating meeting controls
Alt+Shift+T: Screenshot
Switch to Portrait/Landscape View: Alt+L
Ctrl+W: Close current chat session
Ctrl+Up: Go to previous chat
Ctrl+Down: Go to next chat
Ctrl+T: Jump to chat with someone
Ctrl+F: Search
Ctrl+Tab: Move to the next tab (right)
Ctrl+Shift+Tab: Move to the previous tab (left)

Note: You can edit your keyboard shortcuts in Windows if you need or want
to. To do this, you’ll click on the shortcut and then press the shortcut key
that you would like to use.

Log in to your Zoom desktop client.
Click your profile picture then click Settings.
Click Keyboard Shortcuts.
The keyboard shortcuts will appear.
Some of these hotkeys can be used as global shortcuts, meaning they will
work even when Zoom is not in focus. To enable a shortcut globally, check
the option next to the shortcut.

73 N2DYN Angelo

[...]

There is no such client as
Windows Desktop Client
listed in the download center at:
https://zoom.us/download
Here's what I see:
Zoom Client for Meetings
Zoom Plugin for Microsoft Outlook
Zoom Plugin for IBM Notes
Zoom Extension for Browsers
Zoom Plugin for Intel Unite
Zoom Mobile Apps
Zoom Client Plugin for Sharing iPhone/iPad
Zoom Rooms for Conference Rooms and Touchscreen Displays
Controllers for Zoom Rooms
Zoom Plugin for Skype for Business
Perhaps the article should be updated to provide more relevant information.

[...]

Zoom client for meetings is the Windows program you need.

73 N2DYN Angelo

[...]

Hi Rob

Settings cannot be accessed from within a meeting window. End the meeting
and ensure the main Zoom window has focus.

* Press Control + F to set focus to the Search edit box. This provides a
consistent starting point for navigation.
* Tab twice to Settings.

Note that you can only adjust settings when signed in to your Zoom account
when using the Windows desktop client.

Cheers

Ben