Topics

Discrepancy Between NVDA and Youtube sounds

Hi every one,
There is a discrepancy between the volume of sound I get from NVDA and Youtube.
For instance, when I listen to a Youtube video I need to turn the
volume all the way up to hear some sound, but then the volume from
NVDA is at 100%.
Is there a way to equalize the sound volumes of both NVDA and Youtube
so that I won't have to turn up the volume all the way up to listen to
a Youtube video?
Any help would be appreciated.
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified
Literary Braille Proofreader
C: 512 502 4403
e-mail: @Nev

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

I have not used it for a while but have you got ducking turned on set to always duck in nvda. I think it makes nvdas voice louder and if watching you tube  etc it makes it duck and heaps quieter.

Use the nvda key + shift key + the letter D and cycle it away from it. You should hear aalways duck, no ducking, duck when out putting speech and sounds and always duck.

See if that works.

Gene nz

\.

On 15/06/2020 7:16 am, Nevzat Adil wrote:
Hi every one,
There is a discrepancy between the volume of sound I get from NVDA and Youtube.
For instance, when I listen to a Youtube video I need to turn the
volume all the way up to hear some sound, but then the volume from
NVDA is at 100%.
Is there a way to equalize the sound volumes of both NVDA and Youtube
so that I won't have to turn up the volume all the way up to listen to
a Youtube video?
Any help would be appreciated.
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified
Literary Braille Proofreader
C: 512 502 4403
e-mail: @Nev

No ducking gave the best result, but still not good enough.
There must be another way of equalizing the sound volume of NVDA and
Youtube videos.

On 6/14/20, hurrikennyandopo ... <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:
[...]

Daniel Damacena

I use an extension called "sound booster that works" in Chrome. If the video is too low,, you can click on it, or set a hotkey to it, so that the video's volume increases. It is fast and works very well!

--
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified
Literary Braille Proofreader
C: 512 502 4403
e-mail: nevzatadil@...

Daniel Damacena

Luke Davis

I usually solve this by using the Windows 10 volume mixer to increase the web browser's volume to a good level, and then turn NVDA down with the synth settings ring, or use the volume mixer to find a comfortable maximum for NVDA.

After I establish some normalized situation there, I then use NVDA's synth ring to change the volume as needed when I am playing or not playing other audio sources such as the browser, or Audacity, or whatever.

To get to the volume mixer, press Windows+B to get to your notification area. Then move down until you hear the volume object (it might say something like headphone/speaker volume 90% or similar).
Use your applications key, or press shift+F10 to open this menu, and move down to "volume mixer". Press enter on that, and you can then use tab to control the volume of the programs you have open.

Use alt+F4 to close the volume mixer. Or I suppose you could just alt+tab away from it and leave it open for later use.

Luke

Chris Mullins

Hi

What have you set the volume slider to in the YouTube window itself?  There is also the Volume Mixer app in Windows 10 which you can open by pressing Windows+r, typing “sndvol” (without the quotes) and pressing enter.  This displays the relative volume settings of audio related apps currently running.  An app must be running to appear in this list, so start your YouTube video and pause it before opening volume mixer.

Cheers

Chris

No ducking gave the best result, but still not good enough.

There must be another way of equalizing the sound volume of NVDA and

Youtube videos.

On 6/14/20, hurrikennyandopo ... <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

> Hi

> I have not used it for a while but have you got ducking turned on set to

> always duck in nvda. I think it makes nvdas voice louder and if watching

> you tube  etc it makes it duck and heaps quieter.

> Use the nvda key + shift key + the letter D and cycle it away from it.

> You should hear aalways duck, no ducking, duck when out putting speech

> and sounds and always duck.

> See if that works.

> Gene nz

> \.

> On 15/06/2020 7:16 am, Nevzat Adil wrote:

>> Hi every one,

>> There is a discrepancy between the volume of sound I get from NVDA and

>> Youtube.

>> For instance, when I listen to a Youtube video I need to turn the

>> volume all the way up to hear some sound,  but then the volume from

>> NVDA is at 100%.

>> Is there a way to equalize the sound volumes of both NVDA and Youtube

>> so that I won't have to turn up the volume all the way up to listen to

>> a Youtube video?

>> Any help would be appreciated.

>> Nevzat Adil

>> Library of Congress Certified

>> Literary Braille Proofreader

>> C: 512 502 4403

>> e-mail: nevzatadil@...

>> Facebook: m.facebook.com/LiteraryBrailleProofreader

--

Nevzat Adil

Library of Congress Certified

Literary Braille Proofreader

C: 512 502 4403

e-mail: nevzatadil@...

There is a volume setting in Youtube. Others may be able to tell you what it is and it may solve the problem.

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

Why not just enter sndvol in the run dialogue. It is much quicker and has less key strokes. You can even switch play back devices from there via a tool bar that look to be new, unless I never explored it.

On 15 Jun 2020, at 1:46, Luke Davis wrote:

[...]

Tony Malykh

I wrote an add-on for this. Tony's enhancements. You can adjust NVDA volume by pressing NVDA+Control+PageUp/PageDown - and by doing this you can match youtube volume .

--Tony

On Mon, 15 Jun 2020, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Why not just enter sndvol in the run dialogue. It is much quicker and has less key strokes. You can even switch play back devices from there via a tool bar
If you're good at remembering commands, that's fine. Heck, you can even create a desktop keyboard shortcut to launch it.

But not everyone is good at commands. Giving a solution that just involves Finding this icon who's name you may not remember but you'll know it when you see it, can be more useful for less experienced users.

Different strokes.

Luke

I tried all suggestions but nothing changed.
In the end I switched to Google Crome where the sound of Youtube
videos play well.
My guess is that the problem is Flash player which Firefox uses to
play videos.
Thanks.

On 6/15/20, Luke Davis <luke@...> wrote:
[...]

Firefox hasn't used Flash to play videos for a good while, unless an HTML5 copy isn't available on a web site. As I recall, the problem is a volume level one.

But whatever is causing that problem, its worth noting that Firefox won't automatically play videos in more recent versions. There is a play button Firefox places on the screen which you activate. I don't use Firefox much, but I've seen more than one play button at times and the one at or near the top of the screen does nothing. You have to find the one farther down.

That's actually a good feature for blind people, preventing sites from playing unwanted audio when a screen-reader is being used.

[...]

I should have said that as I recall, the original problem discussed is a volume level one. I was pointing out something else that may cause problems for people if they are unaware of it and how it is actually a good feature.

[...]

Aschalew Byness

about the discripancy betwen the volume of YouTube and Nvda, Daniel
wrote here as: 'I use an extension called "sound booster that works"
in Chrome. If the video is too low,, you can click on it, or set a
hotkey to it, so that the video's volume increases. It is fast and
works very well!'. I added the extention to my Chrome. I didn't know
where to klick or how to set hotkies to increase YouTube volume as
much as nvda. solution please?
fondly!On 6/14/20, Nevzat Adil <@Nev> wrote:

Hi every one,
There is a discrepancy between the volume of sound I get from NVDA and
Youtube.
For instance, when I listen to a Youtube video I need to turn the
volume all the way up to hear some sound, but then the volume from
NVDA is at 100%.
Is there a way to equalize the sound volumes of both NVDA and Youtube
so that I won't have to turn up the volume all the way up to listen to
a Youtube video?
Any help would be appreciated.
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified
Literary Braille Proofreader
C: 512 502 4403
e-mail: @Nev

The reason why I had a problem with volume on Youtube was because I
was using Firefox. I switched to Crome and I have no problem. I looked
up volume booster for Crome, but I was told the information I get on
websites might change with the use of it. So I decided not to get
it.

On 6/23/20, Aschalew Byness <gakidan.ashagre235@...> wrote:
[...]

Have you tried using the specific volume command for Youtube itself? Perhaps somehow, your Firefox is set to cause Youtube to play at a lower volume.

Start a video playing.
From the top of the page, type b until you get into player commands.
Then, depending on the browser you are using, turn the Virtual Cursor off or browse mode off.
Tab and shift tab to be sure you are in the player commands. I believe volume up is up arrow. Press it a lot of times or try ;pressing and holding it to see if the volume goes up. Others may definitely know the command.

[...]

What's the specific volume command for Youtube?

On 6/23/20, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
Have you tried using the specific volume command for Youtube itself?
Perhaps somehow, your Firefox is set to cause Youtube to play at a lower
volume.

Start a video playing.
From the top of the page, type b until you get into player commands.
[...]

I'm not sure. I never use it. I think it is upn arrow raise volume, down arrow lower volume.

[...]

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Yes, it is up-arrow. Usually youtube is set to atomatically starting the video, means the playback control is focussed after the webpage opens and you hear the sound. Leave browse mode and just press arrow-up or arrow-down to adjust the youtube volume.

[...]

My Youtube is not automatically set to play.
But I tried the up arrow key after I set NVDA to focus mode by
pressing NVDA+space. I was able to increase volume to a satisfactory
level.
Now I can go back to using Firefox again.
Thank you all for your help.