Topics

Do you use plain text email or HTML-formatted? #poll-notice

Which of these two do you use routinely for whatever account you use to access Groups.io groups via the email interface?

NOTE:  While this poll is not NVDA related, it is directly related to trying to determine a root cause and fix an issue for email users of Groups.io.  That's why I'm asking.  I may contact folks who respond if I have additional questions about what you actually get at the end of your individual messages from Groups.io as part of tracking the issue down.  If the poll function is working correctly, the member identity of those who respond will not be public, though I will be able to see who responded which way.

Results

Thank you to those who responded to the poll.  Now for a follow-up that can't be done as a poll.  Would you please take a look at any Groups.io message, and it can be for any group not just NVDA, and see what the "links cluster" at the very end of your messages looks like.

The two variants I have documented are:

Version 1:
View/Reply Online (#440): https://groups.io/g/blindandroidusers/message/440
Mute This Topic: https://groups.io/mt/78981424/24134
Mute #admin-notice:https://groups.io/g/blindandroidusers/mutehashtag/admin-notice
Group Owner: blindandroidusers+owner@groups.io

Version 2:
Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#444) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [britechguy@...]

Both versions begin with the string:  Groups.io Links, and I'm talking about the first occurrence of that string working upward from the end of the current message.  Since there's an awful lot of bottom quoting that occurs, there can be scads of these contained in a message from quotation, but it's the last one just before the end that's important.

I am trying to figure out if there's a correlation between the use of Plain Text mail and Links Group Version 1 and HTML-Formatted email and Version 2.  I have not yet been able to determine why the "Reply to Sender" link is not present in some messages, and am wondering if it might be due to the email formatting option in use by a user or not.  Obviously, the specific link addresses shown will not be the same as the two examples I've extracted from messages sent to me.  It's the presence or absence of the Reply to Sender link that I'm focused on.

Please send your observations to me privately, either using the Reply to Sender link at the end of this message, if present, or using my email address, britechguy@..., if it is not.

g melconian

I have version 1 when I get emails from groups.io .

Thank you to those who responded to the poll.  Now for a follow-up that can't be done as a poll.  Would you please take a look at any Groups.io message, and it can be for any group not just NVDA, and see what the "links cluster" at the very end of your messages looks like.

The two variants I have documented are:

Version 1:
View/Reply Online (#440):
https://groups.io/g/blindandroidusers/message/440
Mute This Topic:
https://groups.io/mt/78981424/24134
Mute #admin-notice:
https://groups.io/g/blindandroidusers/mutehashtag/admin-notice
Group Owner:
blindandroidusers+owner@groups.io
Unsubscribe:
https://groups.io/g/blindandroidusers/leave/defanged [britechguy@...]

[...]

Thank you to all who have replied.  Someone pointed out to me something I had overlooked completely, since I have been so focused on the absent "Reply to Sender" link in one of the two formats:  BOTH have an email link for the message's sender at the very end of the cluster of links, right after the Unsubscribe entry, and in both cases that mailto email link is enclosed with square brackets.

So until and unless Groups.io figures out why this is happening, the ability to privately respond to the sender of any given message still exists.

There is a difference between the Reply to Sender link and the mailto link at the end of the cluster, and that is that the Reply to Sender prepopulates the Subject of the email created with the prefix, "Private:," followed by the name of the topic.  This can, of course, be changed.  The mailto link just causes an email composition window to open with the To: field prepopulated for the sender, but nothing in the Subject, so you have to put whatever subject line it is you'd like.

Again, my appreciation for all the assistance that's been given.  Although the resolution is not (yet, anyway) the consistency I'd hoped for with a Reply to Sender option there is a viable workaround that's easy enough to use until the issue is resolved.