document Presentation In Braille

H l

Hey everyone,

Can I get NVDA to do more document presentation in braille? I want it to mark the italics and bold and colors etc like I should be able to do in jaws, but right now am unable to get either screen reader to do, even though they speak everything you could possibly want. I really don't want to rely on speech at all but just use braille, but right now I can't do that because there is so much that is not displayed in braille that is spoken by NVDA.

Thanks,

Harmony.

Quentin Christensen

You need to go into NVDA's document formatting settings and ensure the attributes you want reported are checked - font attributes for bold and italics.

With those checked, it's then up to how the braille table you are using renders those properties, but they should be conveyed.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

H l

Well that was a bit of an experiment. As usual I managed to get it to speak all sorts, but for some reason it was showing none of it in braille. I changed the braille code temporarily to UEB and it showed me the bold text, but did not show the italic or colors on the braille display.

Harmony.

[...]

I don't have a display to test with just now, but using the Braille viewer, I just opened Word, and put a regular A on one line, a bold A on the next, italic A on the next and underlined A on the last line.

What I found was that when the focus is in the word with the formatting, it reports it aloud but not in Braille (on the braille viewer anyway).  If I put a space before each A, with the focus on that space, NVDA correctly showed (using UEB at least) the symbol to denote the letter being bold / italic / underline.

I've created an issue for that.  At this stage (without a display to test with) I'm not sure if it is an issue with Braille viewer, or if Braille viewer is correctly reporting what a Braille display with present - quite possibly the latter.  If so, could you please comment on the issue to confirm that and I'll update the description: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/14151

Kind regards
Quentin.