Does anyone ever have to use NVDA and narrator together and find that when you turn off narrator, the system sound volume goes down

Khalid Anwar

Occasionally, I have to use NVDA and narrator concurrently because on some websites, narrator seems to work better particularly on old Internet Explorer websites with lots of .jsp JavaScript running.
Whenever however I turn off narrator, the system sound volume goes down although NVDA speech remains at the same volume, to fix it I can restart NVDA but it gets a bit laborious after a while.
Does anyone know what might be causing this or how I could stop it?
I have turned audio ducking off on both NVDA and narrator as well.

Brian's Mail list account

Yes I've noticed this only the other day on a friends laptop. It also seems to occur if you have something like Guide connect on the machine and then try to exit and re enter it, but need to use windows both with narrator and nvda.
Obviously its confusing the heck out of the audio drivers??

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Occasionally, I have to use NVDA and narrator concurrently because on some websites, narrator seems to work better particularly on old Internet Explorer websites with lots of .jsp JavaScript running.
Whenever however I turn off narrator, the system sound volume goes down although NVDA speech remains at the same volume, to fix it I can restart NVDA but it gets a bit laborious after a while.
Does anyone know what might be causing this or how I could stop it?
I have turned audio ducking off on both NVDA and narrator as well.

squi d

This problem can be solved by doing the following one if they are both running at the same time quit narrator, to quit NVDA three restart NVDA. This will fix the issue

On 21 Jun 2022, at 9:53 AM, Khalid Anwar <anwarkhalid850@...> wrote:

Occasionally, I have to use NVDA and narrator concurrently because on some websites, narrator seems to work better particularly on old Internet Explorer websites with lots of .jsp JavaScript running.
Whenever however I turn off narrator, the system sound volume goes down although NVDA speech remains at the same volume, to fix it I can restart NVDA but it gets a bit laborious after a while.
Does anyone know what might be causing this or how I could stop it?
I have turned audio ducking off on both NVDA and narrator as well.

squi d

The issue is caused because narrator usees audio ducking. Even if unchecked. It still insists on using this.

On 21 Jun 2022, at 9:53 AM, Khalid Anwar <anwarkhalid850@...> wrote:

Occasionally, I have to use NVDA and narrator concurrently because on some websites, narrator seems to work better particularly on old Internet Explorer websites with lots of .jsp JavaScript running.
Whenever however I turn off narrator, the system sound volume goes down although NVDA speech remains at the same volume, to fix it I can restart NVDA but it gets a bit laborious after a while.
Does anyone know what might be causing this or how I could stop it?
I have turned audio ducking off on both NVDA and narrator as well.

Sarah k Alawami

Yep I’ve noticed this since maybe February or so when I’ve had to test stuff with both and have had to use both at the same time.  The work around I to restart nvda after shutting down narrator.

Occasionally, I have to use NVDA and narrator concurrently because on some websites, narrator seems to work better particularly on old Internet Explorer websites with lots of .jsp JavaScript running.

Whenever however I turn off narrator, the system sound volume goes down although NVDA speech remains at the same volume, to fix it I can restart NVDA but it gets a bit laborious after a while.

Does anyone know what might be causing this or how I could stop it?
I have turned audio ducking off on both NVDA and narrator as well.

mk360

Also, you can go trolugh the audio ducking options of NVDA as a workaround.

Regards,

mk.

El 21/06/2022 a las 10:34, Sarah k Alawami escribió:

Yep I’ve noticed this since maybe February or so when I’ve had to test stuff with both and have had to use both at the same time.  The work around I to restart nvda after shutting down narrator.

Occasionally, I have to use NVDA and narrator concurrently because on some websites, narrator seems to work better particularly on old Internet Explorer websites with lots of .jsp JavaScript running.

Whenever however I turn off narrator, the system sound volume goes down although NVDA speech remains at the same volume, to fix it I can restart NVDA but it gets a bit laborious after a while.

Does anyone know what might be causing this or how I could stop it?
I have turned audio ducking off on both NVDA and narrator as well.

Sarah k Alawami

Actually those are off but nvda still will duck  when using both screen readers at the  same time.  The fastest work around  is to press windows R. then type nvda, then enter. NvDA will restart and the problem will go away.

Occasionally, I have to use NVDA and narrator concurrently because on some websites, narrator seems to work better particularly on old Internet Explorer websites with lots of .jsp JavaScript running.

Whenever however I turn off narrator, the system sound volume goes down although NVDA speech remains at the same volume, to fix it I can restart NVDA but it gets a bit laborious after a while.

Does anyone know what might be causing this or how I could stop it?
I have turned audio ducking off on both NVDA and narrator as well.

Gene

If you have a shortcut key such as control alt n, using that will cause it to restart.

Gene

On 6/21/2022 11:41 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Actually those are off but nvda still will duck  when using both screen readers at the  same time.  The fastest work around  is to press windows R. then type nvda, then enter. NvDA will restart and the problem will go away.

Occasionally, I have to use NVDA and narrator concurrently because on some websites, narrator seems to work better particularly on old Internet Explorer websites with lots of .jsp JavaScript running.

Whenever however I turn off narrator, the system sound volume goes down although NVDA speech remains at the same volume, to fix it I can restart NVDA but it gets a bit laborious after a while.

Does anyone know what might be causing this or how I could stop it?
I have turned audio ducking off on both NVDA and narrator as well.

Sarah k Alawami

I actually keep forgetting about that as I don’t have a short cut key, I disabled that long long ago. Because of how fast I eype it really for me does not take much time to do the method I described as well. Lol! Happy Friday.

Occasionally, I have to use NVDA and narrator concurrently because on some websites, narrator seems to work better particularly on old Internet Explorer websites with lots of .jsp JavaScript running.

Whenever however I turn off narrator, the system sound volume goes down although NVDA speech remains at the same volume, to fix it I can restart NVDA but it gets a bit laborious after a while.

Does anyone know what might be causing this or how I could stop it?
I have turned audio ducking off on both NVDA and narrator as well.

Keith Reedy <keithreedy@...>

You know, I did not know until these post that you could use both at the same time. Is this done a lot?
from a new user.
Keith Reedy

On Jun 21, 2022, at 12:41 PM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:

Actually those are off but nvda still will duck when using both screen readers at the same time. The fastest work around is to press windows R. then type nvda, then enter. NvDA will restart and the problem will go away.

Occasionally, I have to use NVDA and narrator concurrently because on some websites, narrator seems to work better particularly on old Internet Explorer websites with lots of .jsp JavaScript running.

Whenever however I turn off narrator, the system sound volume goes down although NVDA speech remains at the same volume, to fix it I can restart NVDA but it gets a bit laborious after a while.

Does anyone know what might be causing this or how I could stop it?
I have turned audio ducking off on both NVDA and narrator as well.

Sarah k Alawami

No it is not. I only did it as narrator could access parts nvda could not in regard to a program, but I think I can only count on one hand the times I've done this over the now 12 years I've been using NVDA.

together and find that when you turn off narrator, the system sound
volume goes down

Occasionally, I have to use NVDA and narrator concurrently because on some websites, narrator seems to work better particularly on old Internet Explorer websites with lots of .jsp JavaScript running.

Whenever however I turn off narrator, the system sound volume goes down although NVDA speech remains at the same volume, to fix it I can restart NVDA but it gets a bit laborious after a while.

Does anyone know what might be causing this or how I could stop it?
I have turned audio ducking off on both NVDA and narrator as well.

Luke Davis

Sarah k Alawami wrote:

No it is not. I only did it as narrator could access parts nvda could not in regard to a program, but I think I can only count on one hand the times I've done this over the now 12 years I've been using NVDA.
I've done it very rarely, usually just to test Narrator's interaction with something, to learn if it was any better than NVDA's. When doing so, I have usually put NVDA to sleep on the application in question.

Of course, more naturally I just quit NVDA, start Narrator, quit Narrator, and start NVDA. But probably a number of times I can count on one hand, I've had real reason to have them both running. And no, I don't recall why.

Luke