Does Avaya phone system work well with NVDA and Jaws?

Saylor Cooper

Hello NVDA users,

I am reaching out because I have a question about accessibility with the Avaya Softphone system. I will begin certification for a client who I will work with on the liveops platform where I will use Avaya for the phone system and therefore I’m wondering if it is accessible with NVDA and Jaws? I will also be connecting to the client using the horizon VMWare virtual desktop and therefore wondering if NVDA works with that as well? Thanks.

Saylor Cooper

Quentin Christensen

Hi Saylor,

I found a couple of posts in the group previously indicating that several users have been using Avaya for many years with success.  I haven't used it myself, and I just had a look in our issues and can't see anything reported against Avaya.

Regarding VMWare Horizon, there is an add-on called UnicornDVC which makes VMWare Horizon accessible with NVDA.  It is available from: https://access4u.eu/product/unicorndvc/

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Saylor Cooper

Thanks Quenton. I know this add-on would have to be installed on NVDA itself, but would the NVDA program also have to be installed on Herizon VMware in order to work properly or just on my physical computer itself.

Saylor Cooper

On Oct 19, 2021, at 5:41 PM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

[...]

I see that this ad on is $340. Would I have to install NVDA on Horizon VMWare as well or just on my local machine?

Saylor Cooper

On Oct 19, 2021, at 5:48 PM, Saylor Cooper <saylorcooper1@...> wrote:

[...]

I must admit I have not used the add-on myself.  NVDA is normally only installed on the local machine (the end-user's machine).  From the UnicornDVC page they state:

"The UnicornDVC software consists of two parts.

The UnicornDVC Application library is the library used by an application to communicate to the dynamic virtual channel. This so called app lib can be used both for server and client side communications. One instance of the library can communicate both in client and server mode at the same time.

The UnicornDVC Plugin library is the library used for communication by your client software (e.g. Remote Desktop Client, VMware Horizon Client or Citrix Receiver). It implements the Microsoft DVC client-side APIs, which guarantees compatibility with all major remote desktop platforms currently available on the market. It is only required on client systems and doesn’t have to be installed on a server, unless the particular server is a jump server. It should be noted that this library is not suitable for portable use, since using it requires certain information to be added to the Windows Registry."