Does NVDA have this feature that Window-eyes has?

Sim Kah Yong

Hi all, I just received an email from Amazon and it contains a string of "equal sign" (about 22) in part of the email. Window-eyes will read "equal, equal,  repeated 22 times".

NVDA and JAWS will read 22 times of the "equal sign". Obviously, Window-eyes is is the better option here. Does anyone know if NVDA or JAWS has such feature? Thank you.

Jackie

NVDA says the number then the symbol, ie, if I write 9 consecutive
equal signs, NVDA says 9 equals.

On 5/22/22, Sim Kah Yong <simkahyong@...> wrote:
Hi all, I just received an email from Amazon and it contains a string of
"equal sign" (about 22) in part of the email. Window-eyes will read
"equal, equal,  repeated 22 times".

NVDA and JAWS will read 22 times of the "equal sign". Obviously,
Window-eyes is is the better option here. Does anyone know if NVDA or
JAWS has such feature? Thank you.

Sim Kah Yong

Thanks for that. I also confirm that NVDA will  say "22 equal" when I type 22 equal signs on any document.

What I encountered is different. In my email, JAWS  NVDA and Narrator will say "graphic equal" (many times). I am using NVDA 2021.35 and Thunderbird91.9.0 (32-bit). I think it is a form of graphic showing many equal signs. Thanks.

On 22/5/2022 3:51 pm, Jackie wrote:
NVDA says the number then the symbol, ie, if I write 9 consecutive
equal signs, NVDA says 9 equals.

On 5/22/22, Sim Kah Yong <simkahyong@...> wrote:
Hi all, I just received an email from Amazon and it contains a string of
"equal sign" (about 22) in part of the email. Window-eyes will read
"equal, equal,  repeated 22 times".

NVDA and JAWS will read 22 times of the "equal sign". Obviously,
Window-eyes is is the better option here. Does anyone know if NVDA or
JAWS has such feature? Thank you.

Eduardo Fermiano Luccas

you can disable scores by pressing NVDA plus the letter p, this will allow you to toggle through the scoring options

--
eduardo fermiano luccas
joinville, brasil

Sarah k Alawami

Actually nvda dos have said option where it will only read I think 3 if the equals, but for the life of me I can't remember where in the setting is. I would just start poking around until it is found for now.

Hi all, I just received an email from Amazon and it contains a string of "equal sign" (about 22) in part of the email. Window-eyes will read "equal, equal, repeated 22 times".

NVDA and JAWS will read 22 times of the "equal sign". Obviously, Window-eyes is is the better option here. Does anyone know if NVDA or JAWS has such feature? Thank you.

Sarah k Alawami

It will, but not in all emails. I have heard this in groups.io emails where the equals signs are not rendered as how ever many they are.

NVDA says the number then the symbol, ie, if I write 9 consecutive equal signs, NVDA says 9 equals.

On 5/22/22, Sim Kah Yong <simkahyong@...> wrote:
Hi all, I just received an email from Amazon and it contains a string
of "equal sign" (about 22) in part of the email. Window-eyes will read
"equal, equal, repeated 22 times".

NVDA and JAWS will read 22 times of the "equal sign". Obviously,
Window-eyes is is the better option here. Does anyone know if NVDA or
JAWS has such feature? Thank you.

Luke Davis

Sarah k Alawami wrote:

It will, but not in all emails. I have heard this in groups.io emails where the equals signs are not rendered as how ever many they are.
That's because they are not a line of equals signs. They are a line of equals signs, interspersed with hyphens. So dash equals dash equals etc. Probably your punctuation level is set not to say one or the other, so you think it's a line of just one of them.

Most likely that's what's happening in the original case as well: equals signs along with another character that NVDA doesn't read.
Confirm by reading that line character by character.

Luke

Bob Cavanaugh

I just got a similar email from Amazon, and having seen this thread,
looked over it to see what it looked like. There are spaces between
the equals signs, which is why NVDA reads it the way it does. I
personally find those quite annoying.

On 5/22/22, Luke Davis <luke@...> wrote:
Sarah k Alawami wrote:

It will, but not in all emails. I have heard this in groups.io emails
where the equals signs are not rendered as how ever many they are.
That's because they are not a line of equals signs. They are a line of
equals
signs, interspersed with hyphens. So dash equals dash equals etc. Probably
your
punctuation level is set not to say one or the other, so you think it's a
line
of just one of them.

Most likely that's what's happening in the original case as well: equals
signs
along with another character that NVDA doesn't read.
Confirm by reading that line character by character.

Luke

Sarah k Alawami

Hmm. Ok, I might try and filter that out in an outlook specific profile or
something as yeah that looks awful!

It will, but not in all emails. I have heard this in groups.io emails
where the equals signs are not rendered as how ever many they are.

That's because they are not a line of equals signs. They are a line of
equals signs, interspersed with hyphens. So dash equals dash equals etc.
Probably your punctuation level is set not to say one or the other, so you
think it's a line of just one of them.

Most likely that's what's happening in the original case as well: equals
signs along with another character that NVDA doesn't read.
Confirm by reading that line character by character.

Luke

Steve Nutt

Hi,

JAWS has it, it's called Filter Repeated Characters, and is under Text Processing.

As far as I can see, NVDA doesn't have it.

All the best

Steve

Hi all, I just received an email from Amazon and it contains a string of "equal sign" (about 22) in part of the email. Window-eyes will read "equal, equal, repeated 22 times".

NVDA and JAWS will read 22 times of the "equal sign". Obviously, Window-eyes is is the better option here. Does anyone know if NVDA or JAWS has such feature? Thank you.

Steve Nutt

Which is quite bad, because what if you get the string 9= in a file, maybe for programming?

It should say Equals repeats nine times.

All the best

Steve

NVDA says the number then the symbol, ie, if I write 9 consecutive equal signs, NVDA says 9 equals.

On 5/22/22, Sim Kah Yong <simkahyong@...> wrote:
Hi all, I just received an email from Amazon and it contains a string
of "equal sign" (about 22) in part of the email. Window-eyes will read
"equal, equal, repeated 22 times".

NVDA and JAWS will read 22 times of the "equal sign". Obviously,
Window-eyes is is the better option here. Does anyone know if NVDA or
JAWS has such feature? Thank you.

Sarah k Alawami

You might want to maybe put that issue in as a github issue, or if you can code, make an add on if one does not exist.

Hi all, I just received an email from Amazon and it contains a string of "equal sign" (about 22) in part of the email. Window-eyes will read "equal, equal, repeated 22 times".

NVDA and JAWS will read 22 times of the "equal sign". Obviously, Window-eyes is is the better option here. Does anyone know if NVDA or JAWS has such feature? Thank you.

Sarah k Alawami

I like 9 equals rather than equals repeats 9 times, but that's just me. It's faster verbiage IMHO.

NVDA says the number then the symbol, ie, if I write 9 consecutive equal signs, NVDA says 9 equals.

On 5/22/22, Sim Kah Yong <simkahyong@...> wrote:
Hi all, I just received an email from Amazon and it contains a string
of "equal sign" (about 22) in part of the email. Window-eyes will read
"equal, equal, repeated 22 times".

NVDA and JAWS will read 22 times of the "equal sign". Obviously,
Window-eyes is is the better option here. Does anyone know if NVDA or
JAWS has such feature? Thank you.

It does have it.  If it didn't, you would hear something like equal repeated as many times as it appears on a line.  Instead you hear twenty equals, if there are twenty equals uninterrupted on a line.

If your punctuation isn't set at a level where the sign is spoken, you will hear nothing.  So with equal, if punctuation is set to none, you won't hear anything.  With punctuation set to some or higher, you will hear the announcement.  However, I know of no way to turn the feature  off or on and I don't know if that matters.

Gene

On 6/16/2022 10:25 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
You might want to maybe put that issue in as a github issue, or if you can code, make an add on if one does not exist.

Hi all, I just received an email from Amazon and it contains a string of "equal sign" (about 22) in part of the email. Window-eyes will read "equal, equal,  repeated 22 times".

NVDA and JAWS will read 22 times of the "equal sign". Obviously, Window-eyes is is the better option here. Does anyone know if NVDA or JAWS has such feature? Thank you.

Chris Mullins

Hi

The answer to the question is yes, NVDA does have the feature that identifies repeating characters, it just delivers the information in a different way to Window Eyes.

Cheers

                Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

I like 9 equals rather than equals repeats 9 times, but that's just me. It's faster  verbiage IMHO.

NVDA says the number then the symbol, ie, if I write 9 consecutive equal signs, NVDA says 9 equals.

On 5/22/22, Sim Kah Yong <simkahyong@...> wrote:

> Hi all, I just received an email from Amazon and it contains a string

> of "equal sign" (about 22) in part of the email. Window-eyes will read

> "equal, equal,  repeated 22 times".

> NVDA and JAWS will read 22 times of the "equal sign". Obviously,

> Window-eyes is is the better option here. Does anyone know if NVDA or

> JAWS has such feature? Thank you.

wp4newbs-request@... with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs

Ron Canazzi

Hi Gene,

It does have it for single character strings. I believe what they are asking is if there are multiple character repetitions whether that feature is active.

Here's an example of what I mean.

9=9=9=9=9=9=9=9=9=

NVDA doesn't have a setting for such strings as does JAWS sand Window-Eyes.

On 6/16/2022 11:31 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grievous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;

Rui Fontes

Not only presents information differently...

In NVDA you can not configure how many characters untill starting to announce x equals...

If I remember correctly, in Jaws you could configure that...

Rui Fontes

Às 16:35 de 16/06/2022, Chris Mullins escreveu:

Hi

The answer to the question is yes, NVDA does have the feature that identifies repeating characters, it just delivers the information in a different way to Window Eyes.

Cheers

                Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

I like 9 equals rather than equals repeats 9 times, but that's just me. It's faster  verbiage IMHO.

NVDA says the number then the symbol, ie, if I write 9 consecutive equal signs, NVDA says 9 equals.

On 5/22/22, Sim Kah Yong <simkahyong@...> wrote:

> Hi all, I just received an email from Amazon and it contains a string

> of "equal sign" (about 22) in part of the email. Window-eyes will read

> "equal, equal,  repeated 22 times".

> NVDA and JAWS will read 22 times of the "equal sign". Obviously,

> Window-eyes is is the better option here. Does anyone know if NVDA or

> JAWS has such feature? Thank you.

wp4newbs-request@... with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs

Sarah k Alawami

I hear 9 equals 9 equals etc. sounds like it does have this to my ear.  Is that not what you mean?