Does NVDA read a webpage or a word document ?

don@...

I installed NVDA and it works great. Everything I put my mouse over it reads it. Except when I put it on a webpage to read the text that I have a lot of difficulty reading.  I could not get it to read the manual.  It is reading every charactor I am typing.  I read a lot of the manual and I did some searches on google and I looked on youtube.  But I can not figure out how to make this program read a webpage or a word docuemnt.  Does NVDA allow me to control what it reads and what it does not read ?  LIke It would seam like I could put the cursor over text and then I woudl use the keyboard or some methode to make it read text.  Does it read regular text ?  If so how do I make it do that.  I could not figure that out from the manual.  So did I install it wrong ?  What have I done wrong.  I do not wish it to tell me what charactors I type in and I do not want it to read every thing I put my mouse over.  Well it would be very nice if it read the thing that I want it to read the most and that is the long amounts of text that are in manuals and on webpages.  I could not figure out how to make it stop and start.  I do wish it would read my word documetn but I have no desire for it to read each icon or each word.  I need it to read information that I have difficulty reading.  LIke if I had it read the manual for me I might not have to write here.  But maybe it just does not read word  or webpages.  ???  SO I ether did something wrong when I installed it or it just does not do this thing wehre it will read to me text in web pages or text in notepad or text in word ?  Anyone know the ansers to these questions. ?  I know in word if you search for "read aloud" it will begin to read to me but that is the only way I have ever been able to get my compu0ter to read to me.  It has the ability. I know it does.  BUt word I must put my text into word from a webpage in order for the text to be read aloud to me.  SO again does NVDA read what ever I wish it to read or is it just icons and such thing ??  So if there is a command to make it read text that I put the cursor on I would like to know that command.  Thank you

Chris Smart

First of all, are you sighted? Almost none of us are putting the mouse on things we want read. We are using the keyboard to move the system caret.

So, try that.

Put the mouse away.

Chris

VE3RWJ on qrz.com

Follow Me On Twitter

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of don@...
Sent: December 21, 2022 1:54 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Does NVDA read a webpage or a word document ?

I installed NVDA and it works great. Everything I put my mouse over it reads it. Except when I put it on a webpage to read the text that I have a lot of difficulty reading.  I could not get it to read the manual.  It is reading every charactor I am typing.  I read a lot of the manual and I did some searches on google and I looked on youtube.  But I can not figure out how to make this program read a webpage or a word docuemnt.  Does NVDA allow me to control what it reads and what it does not read ?  LIke It would seam like I could put the cursor over text and then I woudl use the keyboard or some methode to make it read text.  Does it read regular text ?  If so how do I make it do that.  I could not figure that out from the manual.  So did I install it wrong ?  What have I done wrong.  I do not wish it to tell me what charactors I type in and I do not want it to read every thing I put my mouse over.  Well it would be very nice if it read the thing that I want it to read the most and that is the long amounts of text that are in manuals and on webpages.  I could not figure out how to make it stop and start.  I do wish it would read my word documetn but I have no desire for it to read each icon or each word.  I need it to read information that I have difficulty reading.  LIke if I had it read the manual for me I might not have to write here.  But maybe it just does not read word  or webpages.  ???  SO I ether did something wrong when I installed it or it just does not do this thing wehre it will read to me text in web pages or text in notepad or text in word ?  Anyone know the ansers to these questions. ?  I know in word if you search for "read aloud" it will begin to read to me but that is the only way I have ever been able to get my compu0ter to read to me.  It has the ability. I know it does.  BUt word I must put my text into word from a webpage in order for the text to be read aloud to me.  SO again does NVDA read what ever I wish it to read or is it just icons and such thing ??  So if there is a command to make it read text that I put the cursor on I would like to know that command.  Thank you

Gene

To stop reading of characters as you type, issue the command NVDA key 2 on the main keyboard.

Gene
On 12/21/2022 9:35 AM, Chris Smart wrote:

First of all, are you sighted? Almost none of us are putting the mouse on things we want read. We are using the keyboard to move the system caret.

So, try that.

Put the mouse away.

Chris

VE3RWJ on qrz.com

Follow Me On Twitter

Sent: December 21, 2022 1:54 AM

Sarah k Alawami

Why not just use nvda plus A [laptop] to read the thing? That is a say all, and it will read from curser to end. Using the mouse is not such a good idea.

Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 10:54 PM

Chris Smart

Or just Up and Down arrow?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: December 21, 2022 10:45 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Does NVDA read a webpage or a word document ?

Why not just use nvda plus A [laptop] to read the thing? That is a say all, and it will read from curser to end. Using the mouse is not such a good idea.

Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 10:54 PM

don@...

Edited

Yes I am sighted. I am confused by the NVDA program.  What amazed me was that NVDA  did not hamper the performance of my computer yet read every little thing the computer was doing.  I would say that is some very good programing went into it.  I did not know right off that this was for people that could not see.  I would think many people could use this program and they would donate to it.  People who cant speak English would very much like this program! - or crazy people like me.   I wanted it to help me read a manual for netgate and pfSense firewalls.  I have been very challenged this last week because I am learning about oracle virtualbox.  I am taking a course on Udemy about setting up pfsense and lubuntu on virtual box.  pFsense is a open source program like NVDA.  It is used to connect to a remotely to your home system through a vpn.   I specialize in updating spinning hard disks to solid state disks. I love the program Macrium.  It clones my disks.   I was impressed that NVDA read the text even on my install of lubuntu on virtuallbox.  I cant copy and paste text yet between my regular windows and my virtual machine installs yet but NVDA was able to read that text in my lubuntu install.  Fascinating.  I work on computers -  I mostly specialize in hard drive imaging and cloning disk to disk with Macrium and Acronis and other programs.   ive witnessed a lot of crazy things in the computer world, been working on them since the IMB AT  in 1986     Thank you Gene and Chris and Sarah for your replies.

Chris Smart

That is quite the reply.

Think of a screenreader like a movable straw that you are looking through. Instead of seeing the whole screen at once, you are moving an area of focus around the screen with keystrokes.

Read the User Guide it came with.

Chris

VE3RWJ on qrz.com

Follow Me On Twitter

Sent: December 21, 2022 12:53 PM

Yes I am sighted. I am confused by the NVDA program.  What amazed me was that NVDA  did not hamper the performance of my computer yet read every little thing the computer was doing.  I would say that is some very good programing went into it.  Probably some c level programing that accesses the hardware directly. I did not know right off that this was for people that could not see.  I would think many people could use this program and they would donate to it.  People who cant speak English would very much like this program!   I wanted it to help me read a manual for netgate and pfSense firewalls.  I have been very challenged this last week because I am learning about oracle virtualbox.  I am taking a course on Udemy about setting up pfsense and lubuntu on virtual box.  pFsense is a open source program like NVDA.  It is used to connect to a remotely to your home system through a vpn.   I specialize in updating spinning hard disks to solid state disks. I love the program Macrium.  It clones my disks.   I was impressed that NVDA read the text even on my install of lubuntu on virtuallbox.  I cant copy and paste text yet between my regular windows and my virtual machine installs yet but NVDA was able to read that text in my lubuntu install.  Fascinating.  I work on computers -  I mostly specialize in hard drive imaging and cloning disk to disk with Macrium and Acronis and other programs.   ive witnessed a lot of crazy things in the computer world, been working on them since the IMB AT  in 1986     Thank you Gene and Chris and Sarah for your replies.  

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

If you are using the desk top layout with nvda to read a web page or document use the nvda key + down arrow key.

If you are using the lap top layout use the nvda key + letter A.

It will read from the where the carrot is down the page.

To know if you are either in desk top or la top mode use the nvda key +ctrl key + the letter K.

When the menu comes up  it will tell you. Press the escape key for it to go away.

If you do not wan any thing really spoken from the mouse when moved use the nvda key + letter M to turn it off.

If you want it back on use the nvda key + letter M. It can also be customized to read a character, word, line and paragraph I think it is you can assign a gesture so you can swap quickly between them.

Where I refer to the nvda key this can be either the insert key , the extended insert key or the caps lock key. What ever one you chose you would use say to turn nvda off. for example insert key + the letter Q.

To stop it from saying the character when you type use the nvda key + number 2 on the qwerty keyboard and nvda key + 3 will do the word.

If you want nvda to stop talking you can use the ctrl key.

If you want nvda to also stop with a supported synth use the shift key, hitting it again will start it talking down the page again.

If you are using the desk top lay out you might be interested in learning how to use nvda from off my website at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

There are both audio and written material for nvda.

Hope it helps.

Gene nz

On 21/12/2022 7:53 pm, don@... wrote:

Sarah k Alawami

NVDA cannot read Linux persay. Only the consul under windows. Turn on the focus highlighter under visuals, nvda pus n, then preferences, then down arrow to visuals, and hit space on the check box that talks about the highlighter. I use that when doing demos as the person can see where I I am  on the screen.

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2022 9:53 AM

Yes I am sighted. I am confused by the NVDA program.  What amazed me was that NVDA  did not hamper the performance of my computer yet read every little thing the computer was doing.  I would say that is some very good programing went into it.  Probably some c level programing that accesses the hardware directly. I did not know right off that this was for people that could not see.  I would think many people could use this program and they would donate to it.  People who cant speak English would very much like this program!   I wanted it to help me read a manual for netgate and pfSense firewalls.  I have been very challenged this last week because I am learning about oracle virtualbox.  I am taking a course on Udemy about setting up pfsense and lubuntu on virtual box.  pFsense is a open source program like NVDA.  It is used to connect to a remotely to your home system through a vpn.   I specialize in updating spinning hard disks to solid state disks. I love the program Macrium.  It clones my disks.   I was impressed that NVDA read the text even on my install of lubuntu on virtuallbox.  I cant copy and paste text yet between my regular windows and my virtual machine installs yet but NVDA was able to read that text in my lubuntu install.  Fascinating.  I work on computers -  I mostly specialize in hard drive imaging and cloning disk to disk with Macrium and Acronis and other programs.   ive witnessed a lot of crazy things in the computer world, been working on them since the IMB AT  in 1986     Thank you Gene and Chris and Sarah for your replies.  

Hello Don,

First, welcome to the world of NonVisual Desktop Access (NVDA), and if this is your exposure to it, to the world of screen readers and assistive technologies. I am Joseph Lee, a blind master's level graduate student and a contributor to the NVDA screen reader project. As a person who had low vision in the past, I understand how confusing a screen reader can be to some extent. Thankfully, we have members here who are sighted, so they can offer you a much better answer regarding using a screen reader from the sighted person's perspective.

To help you understand what's going on: an assistive technology is software or hardware designed to assist people with disabilities to achieve their goals and perform tasks. Assistive technologies can include screen readers, magnifiers, closed captioning software, large print keyboards, or other related tools. Windows operating system comes with a variety of assistive technologies, including a screen reader called Narrator, Magnifier, Sticky Keys, among others.

A screen reader is a tool designed to help blind computer users navigate and interact with a computing environment. It gathers information such as focused control and screen changes, and uses text-to-speech (TTS) engines and braille display hardware to present information. It is possible (to some extent) to use mouse when using a screen reader, but the primary input paradigm is keyboards (this is why several members posted keyboard shortcuts for the screen reader).

NVDA is a free and open-source screen reader for Microsoft Windows. Initially released in 2006 when the cost of assistive technology was high (we are talking about hundreds to thousands of United States dollars), it grew to become a screen reader of choice for thousands around the world. It's biggest strength is public availability of its source code so anyone can study, modify, and contribute changes to it (I just committed one or two major changes a few days ago which was accepted for inclusion into the next major version of the screen reader as of yesterday; as for what I did, it has to do with heping improve support for Windows 11 on ARM64 processors).

I think the situation described by your original post has to do with what we would call "mouse echo" or "mouse resolution" i.e. how much text will be read as users move the mouse. But the situation is a bit complex than that (this forum just had a discussion about a feature called "browse mode" where keyboard commands are defined to move between web elements). The reason you will hear thins as you use the mouse in Word is because NVDA can read text under the mouse as shown in Word. In web browsers, when you move the mouse, you are effectively moving through web elements such as links, frames, and multimedia controls, hence NVDA will not read exactly the text under the mouse (as a screen reader, one of NVDA's jobs is to gather info about screen controls such as label, control type/role, location among others).

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Joseph

Abbie Taylor

If you go to the NVDA menu, then Help, you'll find a list of keyboard commands for reading and other functions. In the NVDA settings, also located in the NVDA menu, you'll find options for determining what NVDA reads to you. I hope that helps.

On 12/21/2022 10:53 AM, don@... wrote:
-- 
Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author
https://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com
abbietaylor945@...

Brian's Mail list account

I think from the sighted perspective, what a lot of page designers do not get is that there is no overview, if productivity iisyour goal. So some forms, for example tend to produce errors or instructions for filling parts in, say near the bottom of a page or even in some cases apparently randomly in the page, not realising that the screenreader is only focussed on the input required and the edit field.
This can also affect for example pages where there is a map and you are asked to stick a pin in your location. Of couse we can't do that but if they had near the top said, note you can insert your street address below the map section, folk would go and find it, but often we don't as we think we have been forgotten.
Brian

--
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2022 6:13 PM

Hi

If you are using the desk top layout with nvda to read a web page or
document use the nvda key + down arrow key.

If you are using the lap top layout use the nvda key + letter A.

It will read from the where the carrot is down the page.

To know if you are either in desk top or la top mode use the nvda key
+ctrl key + the letter K.

When the menu comes up it will tell you. Press the escape key for it to
go away.

If you do not wan any thing really spoken from the mouse when moved use
the nvda key + letter M to turn it off.

If you want it back on use the nvda key + letter M. It can also be
customized to read a character, word, line and paragraph I think it is
you can assign a gesture so you can swap quickly between them.

Where I refer to the nvda key this can be either the insert key , the
extended insert key or the caps lock key. What ever one you chose you
would use say to turn nvda off. for example insert key + the letter Q.

To stop it from saying the character when you type use the nvda key +
number 2 on the qwerty keyboard and nvda key + 3 will do the word.

If you want nvda to stop talking you can use the ctrl key.

If you want nvda to also stop with a supported synth use the shift key,
hitting it again will start it talking down the page again.

If you are using the desk top lay out you might be interested in
learning how to use nvda from off my website at
http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

There are both audio and written material for nvda.

Hope it helps.

Gene nz

On 21/12/2022 7:53 pm, don@... wrote:
I installed NVDA and it works great. Everything I put my mouse over it
reads it. Except when I put it on a webpage to read the text that I
have a lot of difficulty reading. I could not get it to read the
manual. It is reading every charactor I am typing. I read a lot of
the manual and I did some searches on google and I looked on youtube.
But I can not figure out how to make this program read a webpage or a
word docuemnt. Does NVDA allow me to control what it reads and what
it does not read ? LIke It would seam like I could put the cursor
over text and then I woudl use the keyboard or some methode to make it
read text. Does it read regular text ? If so how do I make it do
that. I could not figure that out from the manual. So did I install
it wrong ? What have I done wrong. I do not wish it to tell me what
charactors I type in and I do not want it to read every thing I put my
mouse over. Well it would be very nice if it read the thing that I
want it to read the most and that is the long amounts of text that are
in manuals and on webpages. I could not figure out how to make it
stop and start. I do wish it would read my word documetn but I have
no desire for it to read each icon or each word. I need it to read
information that I have difficulty reading. LIke if I had it read the
manual for me I might not have to write here. But maybe it just does
not read word or webpages. ??? SO I ether did something wrong when
I installed it or it just does not do this thing wehre it will read to
me text in web pages or text in notepad or text in word ? Anyone know
the ansers to these questions. ? I know in word if you search for
"read aloud" it will begin to read to me but that is the only way I
have ever been able to get my compu0ter to read to me. It has the
ability. I know it does. BUt word I must put my text into word from a
webpage in order for the text to be read aloud to me. SO again does
NVDA read what ever I wish it to read or is it just icons and such
thing ?? So if there is a command to make it read text that I put the
cursor on I would like to know that command. Thank you

Russell James

Hi Joseph

On Windows there have been screen readers that support reading or exploring content using the physical mouse

On other platforms especially mobile there are screen readers that allow similar functionality when exploring content using the touch screen and or other pointing devices such as a physical mouse

Since there are more devices on Windows that have touch screens do you expect the touch screen exploration and physical mouse exploration of content to become more common and the support from Nvidia to be improved?

Russ

On Wed, Dec 21, 2022, 1:48 PM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hello Don,

First, welcome to the world of NonVisual Desktop Access (NVDA), and if this is your exposure to it, to the world of screen readers and assistive technologies. I am Joseph Lee, a blind master's level graduate student and a contributor to the NVDA screen reader project. As a person who had low vision in the past, I understand how confusing a screen reader can be to some extent. Thankfully, we have members here who are sighted, so they can offer you a much better answer regarding using a screen reader from the sighted person's perspective.

To help you understand what's going on: an assistive technology is software or hardware designed to assist people with disabilities to achieve their goals and perform tasks. Assistive technologies can include screen readers, magnifiers, closed captioning software, large print keyboards, or other related tools. Windows operating system comes with a variety of assistive technologies, including a screen reader called Narrator, Magnifier, Sticky Keys, among others.

A screen reader is a tool designed to help blind computer users navigate and interact with a computing environment. It gathers information such as focused control and screen changes, and uses text-to-speech (TTS) engines and braille display hardware to present information. It is possible (to some extent) to use mouse when using a screen reader, but the primary input paradigm is keyboards (this is why several members posted keyboard shortcuts for the screen reader).

NVDA is a free and open-source screen reader for Microsoft Windows. Initially released in 2006 when the cost of assistive technology was high (we are talking about hundreds to thousands of United States dollars), it grew to become a screen reader of choice for thousands around the world. It's biggest strength is public availability of its source code so anyone can study, modify, and contribute changes to it (I just committed one or two major changes a few days ago which was accepted for inclusion into the next major version of the screen reader as of yesterday; as for what I did, it has to do with heping improve support for Windows 11 on ARM64 processors).

I think the situation described by your original post has to do with what we would call "mouse echo" or "mouse resolution" i.e. how much text will be read as users move the mouse. But the situation is a bit complex than that (this forum just had a discussion about a feature called "browse mode" where keyboard commands are defined to move between web elements). The reason you will hear thins as you use the mouse in Word is because NVDA can read text under the mouse as shown in Word. In web browsers, when you move the mouse, you are effectively moving through web elements such as links, frames, and multimedia controls, hence NVDA will not read exactly the text under the mouse (as a screen reader, one of NVDA's jobs is to gather info about screen controls such as label, control type/role, location among others).

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Joseph

Chris Smart

Except perhaps blind people don’t want to interact with such a visual paradigm as that? I don’t know. I just know that I am not interested in exploring a flat surface by touch, hoping I don’t miss something important because I’m off by a millimeter, or because I can’t move in an exactly straight line.

I have fairly good spacial concepts. I’m glad every single day that I can access my iPhone through it’s touchscreen. That will always be a huge accomplishment on behalf of Apple. But it is not my preferred way to navigate and read large blocks of text.

Chris

VE3RWJ on qrz.com

Follow Me On Twitter

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Russell James
Sent: December 22, 2022 9:31 AM

Hi Joseph

On Windows there have been screen readers that support reading or exploring content using the physical mouse

On other platforms especially mobile there are screen readers that allow similar functionality when exploring content using the touch screen and or other pointing devices such as a physical mouse

Since there are more devices on Windows that have touch screens do you expect the touch screen exploration and physical mouse exploration of content to become more common and the support from Nvidia to be improved?

Russ

Hello Don,

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Joseph

Russell James

Hi Chris

I'm pleased to hear that you can use nvda and your Apple products

Some users may not use these things the way that you do and not all text is large blocks :-)

There are many ways to make things accessible and it is great to have choices

If you ever find yourself at a Windows based touch screen kiosk without a keyboard I hope it will be accessible..

Russ

On Thu, Dec 22, 2022, 9:52 AM Chris Smart <ve3rwj@...> wrote:

Except perhaps blind people don’t want to interact with such a visual paradigm as that? I don’t know. I just know that I am not interested in exploring a flat surface by touch, hoping I don’t miss something important because I’m off by a millimeter, or because I can’t move in an exactly straight line.

I have fairly good spacial concepts. I’m glad every single day that I can access my iPhone through it’s touchscreen. That will always be a huge accomplishment on behalf of Apple. But it is not my preferred way to navigate and read large blocks of text.

Chris

VE3RWJ on qrz.com

Follow Me On Twitter

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Russell James
Sent: December 22, 2022 9:31 AM

Hi Joseph

Russ

Hello Don,

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Mouse and touch interaction and navigation are always in our radar i.e. there were issues on GitHub in the past, and I did an all-nighter bac in May to bring improved mouse and touch interaction support for parts of Windows 11 user interface (it was both fun and a frustrating experience, to tell you the truth). At the moment our primary input scenario is the keyboard, followed by braille display hardware. But I do recognize the potential of mouse and touch interaction and have been a vocal advocate for improving the user experience for touchscreen users (me included). My enthusiasm for touchscreens became the reason for creating Enhanced Touch Gestures add-on back in 2013 (and I've been buying touch-capable laptops since), and the potential of mouse interaction was perhaps the biggest reason for maintaining Golden Cursor for some time (I'm no longer maintaining Golden Cursor, by the way). In fact, the upcoming version of Windows App Essentials add-on will include support for improved mouse and touch interaction scenarios in an upcoming change to Windows 11 Version 22H2.

Another possible reason for my enthusiasm for touchscreens (and mouse interaction to some extent) is that I had low vision until I lost my sight in my teens. Perhaps this experience helped me think in terms of spatial dimensions, drawing me to screen exploration techniques and helping me adjust easily to touch-enabled devices. I joined NVDA project after hearing a demo of NVDA running on a Samsung tablet with a preview build of Windows 8 installed in 2012, and like many, I was impressed with touch support on iOS and Android.

Cheers,

Joseph

Russell James

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for your thoughtful response and for all your contributions!

Russ

On Thu, Dec 22, 2022 at 11:39 AM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,

Mouse and touch interaction and navigation are always in our radar i.e. there were issues on GitHub in the past, and I did an all-nighter bac in May to bring improved mouse and touch interaction support for parts of Windows 11 user interface (it was both fun and a frustrating experience, to tell you the truth). At the moment our primary input scenario is the keyboard, followed by braille display hardware. But I do recognize the potential of mouse and touch interaction and have been a vocal advocate for improving the user experience for touchscreen users (me included). My enthusiasm for touchscreens became the reason for creating Enhanced Touch Gestures add-on back in 2013 (and I've been buying touch-capable laptops since), and the potential of mouse interaction was perhaps the biggest reason for maintaining Golden Cursor for some time (I'm no longer maintaining Golden Cursor, by the way). In fact, the upcoming version of Windows App Essentials add-on will include support for improved mouse and touch interaction scenarios in an upcoming change to Windows 11 Version 22H2.

Another possible reason for my enthusiasm for touchscreens (and mouse interaction to some extent) is that I had low vision until I lost my sight in my teens. Perhaps this experience helped me think in terms of spatial dimensions, drawing me to screen exploration techniques and helping me adjust easily to touch-enabled devices. I joined NVDA project after hearing a demo of NVDA running on a Samsung tablet with a preview build of Windows 8 installed in 2012, and like many, I was impressed with touch support on iOS and Android.

Cheers,

Joseph

It seems to me that based on the original desired behaviors, if one is using MS-Word 2019 or newer, then using Word's Immersive Reader Mode is far more likely to give the desired end result.

Most Chromium-based web browsers these days also feature a reader mode that's more likely to give what's desired for a sighted user with minimal "muss and fuss" than a screen reader is likely to.

Use Immersive Reader in Microsoft Edge - Microsoft Support
--

Brian Virginia, USA Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 22H2, Build 19045; Office 2016, Version 16.0.15726.20188, 32-bit

"Be Yourself" is the worst advice you can give to some people.

~ Tom Masson

Chris Smart

I'm pleased to hear that you can use nvda and your Apple products

As others have said, NVDA is a Windows screen reader.

Voiceover is the name of the screen reader built into iOS and Mac OS.

Some users may not use these things the way that you do and not all text is large blocks :-)

Agreed.

If you ever find yourself at a Windows based touch screen kiosk without a keyboard I hope it will be accessible..

Yes, I hope so too.

Apparently some can now run Jaws, either for Windows or Android.

Gene

Are you talking about the read aloud mode or some other aspect of use?

Gene

On 12/22/2022 11:02 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

It seems to me that based on the original desired behaviors, if one is using MS-Word 2019 or newer, then using Word's Immersive Reader Mode is far more likely to give the desired end result.

Most Chromium-based web browsers these days also feature a reader mode that's more likely to give what's desired for a sighted user with minimal "muss and fuss" than a screen reader is likely to.

Use Immersive Reader in Microsoft Edge - Microsoft Support
--

Brian Virginia, USA Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 22H2, Build 19045; Office 2016, Version 16.0.15726.20188, 32-bit

"Be Yourself" is the worst advice you can give to some people.

~ Tom Masson