Does NVDA read a webpage or a word document ?

don@...

I installed NVDA and it works great. Everything I put my mouse over it reads it. Except when I put it on a webpage to read the text that I have a lot of difficulty reading.  I could not get it to read the manual.  It is reading every charactor I am typing.  I read a lot of the manual and I did some searches on google and I looked on youtube.  But I can not figure out how to make this program read a webpage or a word docuemnt.  Does NVDA allow me to control what it reads and what it does not read ?  LIke It would seam like I could put the cursor over text and then I woudl use the keyboard or some methode to make it read text.  Does it read regular text ?  If so how do I make it do that.  I could not figure that out from the manual.  So did I install it wrong ?  What have I done wrong.  I do not wish it to tell me what charactors I type in and I do not want it to read every thing I put my mouse over.  Well it would be very nice if it read the thing that I want it to read the most and that is the long amounts of text that are in manuals and on webpages.  I could not figure out how to make it stop and start.  I do wish it would read my word documetn but I have no desire for it to read each icon or each word.  I need it to read information that I have difficulty reading.  LIke if I had it read the manual for me I might not have to write here.  But maybe it just does not read word  or webpages.  ???  SO I ether did something wrong when I installed it or it just does not do this thing wehre it will read to me text in web pages or text in notepad or text in word ?  Anyone know the ansers to these questions. ?  I know in word if you search for "read aloud" it will begin to read to me but that is the only way I have ever been able to get my compu0ter to read to me.  It has the ability. I know it does.  BUt word I must put my text into word from a webpage in order for the text to be read aloud to me.  SO again does NVDA read what ever I wish it to read or is it just icons and such thing ??  So if there is a command to make it read text that I put the cursor on I would like to know that command.  Thank you

Chris Smart

First of all, are you sighted? Almost none of us are putting the mouse on things we want read. We are using the keyboard to move the system caret.

So, try that.

Put the mouse away.

73,

Chris

VE3RWJ on qrz.com

Follow Me On Twitter

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

Why not just use nvda plus A [laptop] to read the thing? That is a say all, and it will read from curser to end. Using the mouse is not such a good idea.

[...]

Or just Up and Down arrow?