Does the latest release play nicely with Firefox? And the addon stuff isn't yet relevant if I update now, correct?

Sharni-Lee Ward

I am still on Version 2020.3, and didn't update earlier this year because I saw some messages about NVDA and Firefox not playing nicely, and Firefox being my main browser, I was hesitant to update. Now that I'm hearing about possible addon incompatibility, I'm realising I'd better update before I have to go with a new release that breaks anything, even if I don't have the addons that are being singled out. I just wanna be sure things aren't liable to flip out if I update now.

Quentin Christensen

Sharni-Lee,

As far as we are aware, NVDA and Firefox are playing nice together, but of course, if you encounter any issues, please do let us know!

Re the add-ons, as far as I know, most should have been updated to work with NVDA 2021.1 and later quite some time ago, but there is a page keeping track of where they are at here: https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/nvdacompat.en.html  So it's worth checking against any add-ons you use to make sure.

if you're worried, you can always download the latest version of NVDA from https://www.nvaccess.org/download/ and when you run it, select "Continue" or create a portable copy, and test that with anything crucial to ensure it works.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Steve Wettlaufer

I'm curious what is supposed to be wrong with NVDA and Firefox in the latest versions?  I'm fairly new to the group here, but I've used NVDA and Firefox happily together for years, always updating to the latest versions of each.

On 2021-10-21 6:09 a.m., Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:
I am still on Version 2020.3, and didn't update earlier this year because I saw some messages about NVDA and Firefox not playing nicely, and Firefox being my main browser, I was hesitant to update. Now that I'm hearing about possible addon incompatibility, I'm realising I'd better update before I have to go with a new release that breaks anything, even if I don't have the addons that are being singled out. I just wanna be sure things aren't liable to flip out if I update now.

Chris

Shouldn’t do if you have the latest firefox

I am still on Version 2020.3, and didn't update earlier this year

because I saw some messages about NVDA and Firefox not playing nicely,

and Firefox being my main browser, I was hesitant to update. Now that

I'm hearing about possible addon incompatibility, I'm realising I'd

better update before I have to go with a new release that breaks

anything, even if I don't have the addons that are being singled out. I

just wanna be sure things aren't liable to flip out if I update now.

Jujube

Hi, I'm on 2021.2 and using FIrefox and it works great :) so don't hesitate to update.

On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 3:09 AM Sharni-Lee Ward <sharni-lee.ward@...> wrote:
I am still on Version 2020.3, and didn't update earlier this year
because I saw some messages about NVDA and Firefox not playing nicely,
and Firefox being my main browser, I was hesitant to update. Now that
I'm hearing about possible addon incompatibility, I'm realising I'd
better update before I have to go with a new release that breaks
anything, even if I don't have the addons that are being singled out. I
just wanna be sure things aren't liable to flip out if I update now.

Not that I use NVDA constantly, but when I have used 2021.2 with the latest version of Firefox it was not in any way ill-behaved.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Gene

Perhaps a month or more ago, I saw complaints from a very few people but  as I recall, they weren’t confirmed by others.  If there is a problem, it appears to affect very few people.  If people are worried, they can download the new version of NVDA and try it as a portable before deciding whether to update the installed version, something that might be a good idea if people really want to be careful.

You can set the installed version not to automatically update.  You can do so with the portable version as well but for what I’m discussing, there’s no point.

On 2021-10-21 6:09 a.m., Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:
> I am still on Version 2020.3, and didn't update earlier this year
> because I saw some messages about NVDA and Firefox not playing nicely,
> and Firefox being my main browser, I was hesitant to update. Now that
> I'm hearing about possible addon incompatibility, I'm realising I'd
> better update before I have to go with a new release that breaks
> anything, even if I don't have the addons that are being singled out.
> I just wanna be sure things aren't liable to flip out if I update now.

matthew dyer

Hi,

I am using firefox with NVDA 2021.2 and not having any problems with firefox here.

Matthew

On 10/21/2021 6:09 AM, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:
I am still on Version 2020.3, and didn't update earlier this year because I saw some messages about NVDA and Firefox not playing nicely, and Firefox being my main browser, I was hesitant to update. Now that I'm hearing about possible addon incompatibility, I'm realising I'd better update before I have to go with a new release that breaks anything, even if I don't have the addons that are being singled out. I just wanna be sure things aren't liable to flip out if I update now.

Jackie

The problem had nothing to do w/NVDA. It was a problem caused by a
change made to Firefox, & it's all been fixed now.