locked Does turning-on "BitLocker" cause any accessibility issues?

Richard B. McDonald

Hi!

I have a PC running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and NVDA 2020.4.  Soon, I will turn-on BitLocker.  Will doing so trigger any accessibility issues?

Thanks,

Richard

Vaibhav Saraf

Hi,

I have bitlocker on my work laptop. NVDA does not speak anything on the screen. It appears way before NVDA gets initialized.

Not sure if it is a general behaviour or my company has configured it wrongly.

Thanks,
Vaibhav

On Mon, 24 May 2021 at 18:18, Richard B. McDonald <richardbmcdonald@...> wrote:

Hi!

I have a PC running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and NVDA 2020.4.  Soon, I will turn-on BitLocker.  Will doing so trigger any accessibility issues?

Thanks,

Richard

Louis Maher

Hello Richard,

I last used bitLocker in 2015.  At that time, bitLocker would ask the sighted for a power on password.  This dialog was completely inaccessible to the blind.  After about 30 seconds, I would enter my bitLocker  power-on password and hope that the dialog box was open.  (Note if the computer was doing updates, then this strategy would fail.) If I entered an incorrect password, the resulting error dialog was also in accessible.  After waiting ten minutes or so, if the computer had not reached the Microsoft account login keyword, I would reboot the machine and try again.  Usually I would find a kind sighted person to help me turn on my computer.  I had to get a sighted person to turn on my computer about 50% of the time.  Microsoft said that they could not make the Bit Locker dialog accessible because Bit Locker runs early in the power-on cycle.

Note, using bitLocker was my employer’s requirement.

BitLocker encrypts your hard drive and is probably a good idea.

I would be interested if there has been any bitLocker progress since 2015.

Regards

Louis Maher

Phone: 713-444-7838

I have a PC running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and NVDA 2020.4.  Soon, I will turn-on BitLocker.  Will doing so trigger any accessibility issues?

Thanks,

Richard

JM Casey

Too bad some computers don’t’ even have the old-style pC speakers anymore. The only thing I can think of would be a series of beeps or tones that could let you know where you are at in the prompt/dialogue stage. Such a thing would be pretty simple to code, I imagine. But yeah, no audio drivers or really anything else would be loaded so I think aside from a monitor screen that’s probably the only kind of feedback you could get.