Don't Want To Hear nvda Say "menu item"

John Altmeyer

Hi,

To hear what I can't tolerate hearing, please visit the Roku Channel link below.  For me, it is tantamount to an audio challenge.

When navigating the menu, I am forced to use screen review. Otherwise, every up or down arrow announces "menu item", and I can't make out exactly what is in the text.

A solution is more than just a little bit appreciated.  As an aside, my hearing isn't the best due to tinnitus.

Teen Wolf

https://l.email1.roku.com/rts/go2.aspx?h=364633&tp=i-1NGB-I8-6dT-1yHpfP-1n-4c6q3-1c-1xtP1a-l6SBCBNIiq-cLFUn

John,

Since I don't have a Roku account, I can't explore whether there are any accessibility settings you may be able to turn on for this page.  I suspect if there are you will have a significantly "decluttered" experience.

Even the things being announced as menu items aren't really menu items in the conventional sense of the term, but I can see why they are designated as such since they're graphics showing the shows with play buttons associated with each and you are making a selection.  It's certainly a type of menu, but not a "menu as we all know them" menu.

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Sarah k Alawami

Can you do everything in focus mode? This might get rid of the menu problem.

Since I don't have a Roku account, I can't explore whether there are any accessibility settings you may be able to turn on for this page.  I suspect if there are you will have a significantly "decluttered" experience.

Even the things being announced as menu items aren't really menu items in the conventional sense of the term, but I can see why they are designated as such since they're graphics showing the shows with play buttons associated with each and you are making a selection.  It's certainly a type of menu, but not a "menu as we all know them" menu.

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Giles Turnbull

Would adding "menu item" (without the quote marks) to your NVDA defualt dictionary stop it from being said? The only time that would become a problem would be if you encountered the text menu item in a document ... maybe in a short story where the sentence was: The grizzled man clicked on the menu item that said activate, and 30 seconds later the building across the street was consumed by an angry fireball.

I can't remember if it's possible to have a specific dictionary for an application-specific configuration profile, but if it is then you could  limit NVDA not saying "menu item"so that "menu item" was only not spoken in your web browser.

Hope that helps :)

Giles

P.Stephen Hoad

If anyone else has clicked on the link that was originally sent, did it all read and conform to a usual website structure. I did click the link and could not reproduce the problem cited. Could this be a synthesizer anomaly? I am using the most current update of Windows 10 along with NVDA 21.1 and Windows Core Voices.