Topics

Donation Too nerve wracking

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

Are you saying that you are not finding the edit field that comes right before the check box for no donation?

If we can't look at ourselves, and ask, why?  then where does the learning start?

Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 5:14 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Donation Too nerve wracking

That is exactly what happened to me two days ago.  So I just gave up.  We want support?  Let us make it friendly.

Blessings

Pascal

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of hurrikennyandopo ...
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2020 7:13 PM

if any where it is more on the second page I was looking at doing a lets say one off donation and on the second one in the edit area it would not let me change it from 200 to what ever I wanted to donate. Most people would stop there.

It seemed to do it from the nvaccess website for donations and from nvda for donations. I was using google chrome so will try another browser to see if there are the same results.

Gene nz

On 11/02/2020 12:40 pm, James Bentley wrote:

Its been so long and frustrating since  I finally stumbled through the process that I no longer remember.  And, I’m glad I forgot.

I have no problems at Amazon or Walmart or dozens of other sites so I stand by my opinion that the form/site could be easier.  Especially since more than a few people are having problems.

I agree with the lister who said that a donation page should be easier.

James B

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tyler Spivey
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2020 4:58 PM

Please explain how the form is badly designed. It can't be simpler.

You need to select what type of donation you want. Either you have a set of radio buttons on the Download page, or a set of buttons on the donate page.

On 2/10/2020 2:46 PM, James Bentley wrote:

I’m not certain as to who is saying the phrase, “kiss of death” but I agree.

It took me well over a year to finally finally set up a small monthly donation to NVDA.  I wonder how many dollars are not getting where they need to go because of a combination of persons with less PC skills and apparently, a web designer or, at least the form designer also having less skills.

We need NVDA to grow world wide so more persons will have free access to NVDA.

I use Jaws and Narrator too but, NVDA needs to prosper.  I hope some one will fix this unnecessary complicated process.

Regards,

James B

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2020 3:40 PM

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 04:34 PM, Jackie wrote:

The problem is that too many, I think assume a lack of skill, when at least part of the problem may indeed be due to implementation.

And, in this case, it seems to be a combination of both, which is often the absolute kiss of death.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

~ Madonna

Gene

The way the form works when you use the one on the download page is that you select the radio button that says other.  You will find an edit field if you down arrow below that button.  If you are doing so, Don't tab through unfamiliar forms.  Down arrow.

You can't change the amount on the Pay Pal page. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 7:06 AM

Are you saying that you are not finding the edit field that comes right before the check box for no donation?

If we can't look at ourselves, and ask, why?  then where does the learning start?

Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 5:14 AM

That is exactly what happened to me two days ago.  So I just gave up.  We want support?  Let us make it friendly.

Blessings

Pascal

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of hurrikennyandopo ...
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2020 7:13 PM

if any where it is more on the second page I was looking at doing a lets say one off donation and on the second one in the edit area it would not let me change it from 200 to what ever I wanted to donate. Most people would stop there.

It seemed to do it from the nvaccess website for donations and from nvda for donations. I was using google chrome so will try another browser to see if there are the same results.

Gene nz

On 11/02/2020 12:40 pm, James Bentley wrote:

Its been so long and frustrating since  I finally stumbled through the process that I no longer remember.  And, I’m glad I forgot.

I have no problems at Amazon or Walmart or dozens of other sites so I stand by my opinion that the form/site could be easier.  Especially since more than a few people are having problems.

I agree with the lister who said that a donation page should be easier.

James B

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tyler Spivey
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2020 4:58 PM

Please explain how the form is badly designed. It can't be simpler.

You need to select what type of donation you want. Either you have a set of radio buttons on the Download page, or a set of buttons on the donate page.

On 2/10/2020 2:46 PM, James Bentley wrote:

I’m not certain as to who is saying the phrase, “kiss of death” but I agree.

It took me well over a year to finally finally set up a small monthly donation to NVDA.  I wonder how many dollars are not getting where they need to go because of a combination of persons with less PC skills and apparently, a web designer or, at least the form designer also having less skills.

We need NVDA to grow world wide so more persons will have free access to NVDA.

I use Jaws and Narrator too but, NVDA needs to prosper.  I hope some one will fix this unnecessary complicated process.

Regards,

James B

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2020 3:40 PM

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 04:34 PM, Jackie wrote:

The problem is that too many, I think assume a lack of skill, when at least part of the problem may indeed be due to implementation.

And, in this case, it seems to be a combination of both, which is often the absolute kiss of death.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

~ Madonna

Clive May

Hi

I agree with this.  I have been using speech to access computers since the early 1980s so I can in no way be considered a newby or beginner but even so my fingers walk very softly over the keys while making donations.  There is just something anxiety provoking about the way the page is set out. There is almost a "hard sell" feel to the page which I dislike.

On 10/02/2020 16:13, David Griffith wrote:
This may be just a personal problem with my skills but I have avoided regular donating, as was my previous practice with the last couple of NVDA updates because of difficulties with the NVDA Donation page.
Today guilt took over as I downloaded the latest update to 19.3 and decided to bite the bullet and try and donate again.
I am afraid that yet again the experience was yet again a bit nerve wracking.
For me the personal problem is that the default donations the page tries to funnel me towards are far too expensive for me. These high default options especially on a regular basis provide some anxiety.
Even the other amount field is unhelpfully filled with a $200 amount which I inadvertently nearly processed with my PayPal and was only then able to rescue from my one touch PayPal page with a rapid page closure.
Rattled I then tried to enter a measly $10 as a safe test amount only to realise that this time I was about to commit $10200 to NVDA Access.
In the end I was able to retrieve the situation and only donate $10 which is less than I would normally donate but was based on my profound nervousness with the page.
It just seems to me that this page should be easy for everybody to use , no matter what their skill level, a simple safe process for people to donate whatever amount they feel comfortable in doing.
I am sure that most people , certainly on this list, will not share these problems and deny any difficulties but I wonder how true this is for generalised NVDA users across the globe.
This funnelling of people toward larger default payments may be worth it in the larger scheme it generates more income I suppose but it does seem odd to me and has acted as a disincentive to donate personally.
David Griffith