Topics

Drag and Drop

Louise Pfau

Hi.  Is there a drag and drop feature for NVDA?  I couldn't find anything in the user guide.  JAWS uses CONTROL+JAWS+NUMPAD / to perform the function when you're focused on the item to be dragged, and then again when you're focused on the drop location.

Thanks,

Louise

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

See the section below in the user guide it will list all commands to do with the mouse including drag and drop.

5.7. Navigating with the Mouse

I did not copy in all the commands more to do with bandwidth with some people.

Gene nz

On 3/11/2020 9:09 am, Louise Pfau wrote:
Hi.  Is there a drag and drop feature for NVDA?  I couldn't find anything in the user guide.  JAWS uses CONTROL+JAWS+NUMPAD / to perform the function when you're focused on the item to be dragged, and then again when you're focused on the drop location.

Thanks,

Louise

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I just went into the section of the user guide that you referenced, and there was nothing to do with drag and drop as such.  There were commands for using the mouse.

Thanks,

Louise

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Are you using a physical mouse? or are you doing it by mouse commands.

Left mouse button lock
shift+numpadDivide
NVDA+control+[
none
Locks the left mouse button down. Press again to release it. To drag the mouse, press this key to lock the left button down and then move the mouse either physically or use one of the other mouse routing commands

Right mouse button lock
shift+numpadMultiply
NVDA+control+]
none
Locks the right mouse button down. Press again to release it. To drag the mouse, press this key to lock the right button down and then move the mouse either physically or use one of the other mouse routing commands

The other option is maybe the golden cursor add on which can be found at https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/goldenCursor.en.html

There is a part in there where you can also use the arrow keys to move the mouse if I remember right to drag and drop along with some other stuff that might be used.

if I remember right when I used to use a mouse it was basically find what you wanted to drag then hold down I think it was the left mouse key on the item move it to the new position then let the left mouse button off

Is this more like it?

I thin at times it may depend on the program 2.

Gene nz

Is

On 3/11/2020 10:48 am, Louise Pfau wrote:
Hi.  I just went into the section of the user guide that you referenced, and there was nothing to do with drag and drop as such.  There were commands for using the mouse.

Thanks,

Louise

Gene

In 5.7 there is a section titled something like commands related to the mouse.
There is a brief description of drag and drop there. I found the section by opening the user guide, which opens in the default browser, and searching, as I would a web page because this is a long HTML document and your browser is working with your screen-reader in browse mode, for the word drag. I then moved up until I got to the start of the section.

You don't need to go back to the beginning unless you want more information but you will have to go back a little.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, November 02, 2020 3:48 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Drag and Drop

Hi. I just went into the section of the user guide that you referenced, and there was nothing to do with drag and drop as such. There were commands for using the mouse.

Thanks,

Louise

Rowen Cary

There is an add-on DragAndDrop.
It would be better if someone could provide a download link.

Sarah k Alawami

There is, but I also cannot get it to work reliably. I don't have a link, but search for it on the nvda addons page.

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 3 Nov 2020, at 18:56, Rowen Cary wrote:

There is an add-on DragAndDrop.
It would be better if someone could provide a download link.

The DragAndDrop add-on by Javi Dominguez and collaborators is not an "official" add-on.  It's managed under GitHub, like many unofficial add-ons are.

The latest version is 2.0.1dev and can be downloaded from this page:  https://github.com/javidominguez/DragAndDrop/releases/tag/2.0.1dev 
The direct download link is:  https://github.com/javidominguez/DragAndDrop/releases/download/2.0.1dev/DragAndDrop-2.0.1dev.nvda-addon 

I don't know anything about this add-on beyond what I've written here.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

It’s hard waking up and realizing it’s not always black and white.

~ Kelley Boorn

Ralf Kefferpuetz

The term “unofficial” is misleading in the context of NVDA addons. Every NVDA addon that is released by an author following GPL copyright is official. The fact that an author doesn’t want his/her addon be listed on the NVDA addon page doesn’t make it unofficial.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Mittwoch, 4. November 2020 06:26

The DragAndDrop add-on by Javi Dominguez and collaborators is not an "official" add-on.  It's managed under GitHub, like many unofficial add-ons are.

The latest version is 2.0.1dev and can be downloaded from this page:  https://github.com/javidominguez/DragAndDrop/releases/tag/2.0.1dev 
The direct download link is:  https://github.com/javidominguez/DragAndDrop/releases/download/2.0.1dev/DragAndDrop-2.0.1dev.nvda-addon 

--

~ Kelley Boorn

Gene

All sorts of software is issued under the public license being discussed. That has nothing to do with whether it is an official NVDA add-on. An add-on is official if it has been reviewed and approved by those designated by NVDA developers to do so. It is reviewed for safety and effectiveness.

I'm not saying that unofficial add-ons shouldn't be used, but the user should be aware that add-ons can be used for malicious purposes so it is a good idea to know if the author(s) are trustworthy. If unknown, it would be a good idea to ask about them here. There are some add-ons that are illegal and if they are brought up here, discussion will be stopped by the moderator or owner because illegal software isn't allowed to be discussed on the list.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2020 2:42 AM

The term “unofficial” is misleading in the context of NVDA addons. Every NVDA addon that is released by an author following GPL copyright is official. The fact that an author doesn’t want his/her addon be listed on the NVDA addon page doesn’t make it unofficial.

Sent: Mittwoch, 4. November 2020 06:26

The DragAndDrop add-on by Javi Dominguez and collaborators is not an "official" add-on. It's managed under GitHub, like many unofficial add-ons are.

The latest version is 2.0.1dev and can be downloaded from this page: https://github.com/javidominguez/DragAndDrop/releases/tag/2.0.1dev
The direct download link is: https://github.com/javidominguez/DragAndDrop/releases/download/2.0.1dev/DragAndDrop-2.0.1dev.nvda-addon

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041

~ Kelley Boorn

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 03:42 AM, Ralf Kefferpuetz wrote:
The fact that an author doesn’t want his/her addon be listed on the NVDA addon page doesn’t make it unofficial.
-
It does to me.  If it's not vetted and "officially blessed," it's unofficial.  And that's all I'm trying to communicate.  People write all sorts of home-grown add-ons that are, and are very likely to remain, unofficial.  They will not be submitted for review/vetting and will never appear on the NVDA Community Add-Ons page.

Thus, they are unofficial.  That doesn't make them unsafe, substandard, or anything else.  But it is a way to note that you're not going to find them on the NVDA Community Add-Ons page.

--

~ Kelley Boorn

Hi,

To clarify, it is up to add-on authors to ask for an add-on review should they wish to have their add-ons included on community add-ons website. Only after passing a set of basic review criteria (license and copyright, user experience, documentation, security) will the add-on be considered for distribution through the add-ons website (please note that even if other criteria passes, an add-on can still fail basic review if license is incompatible with NVDA’s, which is GNU GPL 2). There are one or two classes of add-ons that the community is quite hesitant to review based on past discussions on add-ons mailing list, including speech synthesizers (license issues).

Until recently it was hard to find documentation on add-on reviews, but now it is publicly more accessible:

https://addons.nvda-project.org/processes.en.html

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 7:21 AM

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 03:42 AM, Ralf Kefferpuetz wrote:

The fact that an author doesn’t want his/her addon be listed on the NVDA addon page doesn’t make it unofficial.

-
It does to me.  If it's not vetted and "officially blessed," it's unofficial.  And that's all I'm trying to communicate.  People write all sorts of home-grown add-ons that are, and are very likely to remain, unofficial.  They will not be submitted for review/vetting and will never appear on the NVDA Community Add-Ons page.

Thus, they are unofficial.  That doesn't make them unsafe, substandard, or anything else.  But it is a way to note that you're not going to find them on the NVDA Community Add-Ons page.

--

~ Kelley Boorn