Topics

Drag and drop with NVDA and Thunderbird

Guy Schlosser

Begin forwarded message:

From: Guy Schlosser <guyster@...>
Date: August 16, 2020 at 10:33:03 AM EDT
To: nvda@...
Subject: Drag and drop with NVDA and Thunderbird
Hi all. I am trying to re-order my columns in Mozilla Thunderbird, and having some trouble. I listen to the tutorial that I found on groups.io, and I was unable to get my NVDA cursor to go up to the header where the columns are listed. Is there something different that I have to do? When I have NVDA in object navigation mode I use the NVDA key plus number four and I cannot seem to get the NVDA cursor  the top of the message list. Any help would be welcome. Is this an update thing? I think I am running NVDA 2020.1 on this particular flash drive.
Thanks,
Guy

Gene

I'm not sure just what you are trying to do. I've seldom looked at that part of the Thunderbird interface. Nvda key 4 doesn't move you to the top of anything. It moves you to the left by object. NVEDA key 6b moves you to the right by object. NVDA key 2 8 moves you up by object, NVDA key 2 moves you down.
To move within an object, if you can, you use just the numpad keys themselves.

There is, however an add-on, I don't know if it is an NVDA or a Mozilla add-on, but I think its an NVDA add-on, that removes all this nonsense, otherwise reqquired. It allows you to reorder columns easily. I say nonsense because if Mozilla would make this operation accessible, none of this would be necessary. This problem has existed for years. But where are they in making this operation accessible?

Hi all. I am trying to re-order my columns in Mozilla Thunderbird, and having some trouble. I listen to the tutorial that I found on groups.io, and I was unable to get my NVDA cursor to go up to the header where the columns are listed. Is there something different that I have to do? When I have NVDA in object navigation mode I use the NVDA key plus number four and I cannot seem to get the NVDA cursor the top of the message list. Any help would be welcome. Is this an update thing? I think I am running NVDA 2020.1 on this particular flash drive.
Thanks,
Guy

Guy Schlosser

Hey there Gene:

What I’m trying to do is re-order the columns in Mozilla Thunderbird. For example, I am trying to move the status column clear to the left, followed by from, subject, etc. I did see a Mussula add-on, but it didn’t look like it worked with this version of Thunderbird. As a matter of fact, it didn’t even show up in my add-ons list when I did a search.

-----Original Message----- From: Guy Schlosser
Sent: Sunday, August 16, 2020 10:01 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Begin forwarded message:

From: Guy Schlosser <guyster@...>
Date: August 16, 2020 at 10:33:03 AM EDT
To: nvda@...

Hi all. I am trying to re-order my columns in Mozilla Thunderbird, and having some trouble. I listen to the tutorial that I found on groups.io, and I was unable to get my NVDA cursor to go up to the header where the columns are listed. Is there something different that I have to do? When I have NVDA in object navigation mode I use the NVDA key plus number four and I cannot seem to get the NVDA cursor the top of the message list. Any help would be welcome. Is this an update thing? I think I am running NVDA 2020.1 on this particular flash drive.
Thanks,
Guy

Gene

I'm playing with Thunderbird now to see if I can figure it out. I found instructions with a search and I don't know if they match what you found in the tutorial.  Here is the link:

https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topic/colum_headers_in_thunderbird/3281531?p=

Also, a link is given in the message to an audio tutorial. Perhaps that is the one you are using.

It may be that the add-on won't work in your version of Thunderbird.  Others can comment on whether an updated version is available if you are using a version too new for the old version of the add-on to be compatible with.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, August 16, 2020 10:01 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Begin forwarded message:

From: Guy Schlosser <guyster@...>
Date: August 16, 2020 at 10:33:03 AM EDT
To: nvda@...

Hi all. I am trying to re-order my columns in Mozilla Thunderbird, and having some trouble. I listen to the tutorial that I found on groups.io, and I was unable to get my NVDA cursor to go up to the header where the columns are listed. Is there something different that I have to do? When I have NVDA in object navigation mode I use the NVDA key plus number four and I cannot seem to get the NVDA cursor the top of the message list. Any help would be welcome. Is this an update thing? I think I am running NVDA 2020.1 on this particular flash drive.
Thanks,
Guy

Gene

Here is another link with other instructions.  I don't know which may or may not work properly or be better or easier to work with.

https://groups.io/g/thunderbird/message/28

Sent: Sunday, August 16, 2020 10:01 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Begin forwarded message:

From: Guy Schlosser <guyster@...>
Date: August 16, 2020 at 10:33:03 AM EDT
To: nvda@...

Hi all. I am trying to re-order my columns in Mozilla Thunderbird, and having some trouble. I listen to the tutorial that I found on groups.io, and I was unable to get my NVDA cursor to go up to the header where the columns are listed. Is there something different that I have to do? When I have NVDA in object navigation mode I use the NVDA key plus number four and I cannot seem to get the NVDA cursor the top of the message list. Any help would be welcome. Is this an update thing? I think I am running NVDA 2020.1 on this particular flash drive.
Thanks,
Guy

Ron Canazzi

Hi Guy,

Rather than try to use object navigation in a rather convoluted process, download and install the Mozilla Apps Enhancement add on from the NVDA add ons page.  The latest version will work with all versions of Thunderbird including version 78.

Here is the direct link to this add on page.
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/mozillaScripts.en.html

Begin forwarded message:

From: Guy Schlosser <guyster@...>
Date: August 16, 2020 at 10:33:03 AM EDT
To: nvda@...

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Guy Schlosser

Ron, thank you so much for the link to that ad-on. that was so much easier! You guys have an awesome day, I am off to go watch some Indy, and NASCAR stuff with my wife.