Topics

DVD ripper that works with NVDA?

George McCoy

I have some dvd .iso files that I need to rip.

Thanks,

George

Ian Blackburn

VLC media player will do it
On some of them
Or a combination of make MKV
And handbrake no solution will work on every situation

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 03:26 PM, George McCoy wrote:
I have some dvd .iso files that I need to rip.
-
I presume you mean ISO files you need to burn.  Anyburn, ImgBurn, InfraRecorder, and CDBurnerXP (which works for DVDs and well past XP, why they've never changed the name I do not know) are all good options.  I find Anyburn to be the easiest.

John Altmeyer

        Adding to the list of very accessible freeware burning software, I suggest the following:
True Burnerv 7.0 Free September 23, 2020  from glorilogic. All there stuff is free, simple and accessible. It is an all-purpose burner.
Another Glorilogic offering is ISO Workshop v10.0 Free - September 23, 2020 Title is self explanatory.

This link leads to the download page for both of the aforementioned programs.
 https://www.glorylogic.com/download.html#professional

Lastly, an all-purpose burner,  BurnAware Free 13.9 - Nov. 2020
From Snapfiles:
You can create data discs for backup purposes, Audio CDs that can be played on any CD player as well as music discs with MP3 and WMA files to be played on a PC or compatible CD/DVD player.
BurnAware Free also supports burning of video DVDs from a VIDEO_TS folder structure as well as creation of standard disc images in .iso format.
https://www.snapfiles.com/php/sfdwnld.php?id=111510&a=7137205&loc=2

I use the dvd audio extracter but it doesn't work with some of the more encripted disks.

Its not free though.

Goldwave also not free does cd extraction and cdbxp, as long as you install the slim one without the opencandy stuff in it works well.

On 29/12/2020 3:31 pm, John Altmeyer wrote:

        Adding to the list of very accessible freeware burning software, I suggest the following:
True Burnerv 7.0 Free September 23, 2020  from glorilogic. All there stuff is free, simple and accessible. It is an all-purpose burner.
Another Glorilogic offering is ISO Workshop v10.0 Free - September 23, 2020 Title is self explanatory.

This link leads to the download page for both of the aforementioned programs.
 https://www.glorylogic.com/download.html#professional

Lastly, an all-purpose burner,  BurnAware Free 13.9 - Nov. 2020
From Snapfiles:
You can create data discs for backup purposes, Audio CDs that can be played on any CD player as well as music discs with MP3 and WMA files to be played on a PC or compatible CD/DVD player.
BurnAware Free also supports burning of video DVDs from a VIDEO_TS folder structure as well as creation of standard disc images in .iso format.
https://www.snapfiles.com/php/sfdwnld.php?id=111510&a=7137205&loc=2

It really would help at this point if Mr. McCoy would clearly indicate whether he's seeking to rip versus burn.

If you have an ISO file, as originally stated, and want to get that on to optical media as other than an ISO file then you typically burn it using any one of a number of previously mentioned programs.

If you have a DVD from which you wish to extract something (rip), whether to an ISO (which is well-nigh impossible for commercial DVDs) or getting the audio as an MP3 or similar, that's a completely different thing.

Ripping and burning are the flip sides of the same coin, where ripping is pulling from optical media to some other format and burning is taking other formats and putting them on optical media (and how that's done depends on what, exactly, is being burned).  There's lots of talk that's at cross purposes here because one has to make an assumption that either the ISO part is wrong, and we are talking about ripping, or the use of rip is wrong and we're talking about burning an ISO (image) file to disc.

tim

Or, he just wants to ripe the audio track from a dvd iso file.
Not everything is a sighted world.

On 12/29/2020 11:20 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]
[Regarding the Supreme Court refusing to hear the case brought by Texas to overturn the votes certified by 4 states:] /Pleased with the SCOTUS ruling, but also immediately slightly terrified of where this crazy train goes next.  We should know by now there’s a bottomless supply of crazy./
        ~ Brendan Buck, /former adviser to Speakers of the House Paul Ryan and John Boehner/

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 02:07 PM, tim wrote:
Or, he just wants to ripe the audio track from a dvd iso file.
Not everything is a sighted world.
-
Well, Tim, then please explain how one rips from an ISO.  I have never heard a single instance of the term "rip" being used where the ISO file is the media being ripped from.

In addition, this has absolutely nothing whatsoever with sighted versus blind, but speaking clearly, so I'd appreciate a bit of respect and consideration.  Asking for clarification is not disrespectful, nor was it done disrespectfully.  And when you play the stupid "blind vs sighted" card when it has nothing to do with any thing it is you that looks bad.

George McCoy

No, I mean .iso images of dvd disks that I want to mount and then rip in windows 10.

On 12/28/2020 5:57 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 03:26 PM, George McCoy wrote:
I have some dvd .iso files that I need to rip.
-
I presume you mean ISO files you need to burn.  Anyburn, ImgBurn, InfraRecorder, and CDBurnerXP (which works for DVDs and well past XP, why they've never changed the name I do not know) are all good options.  I find Anyburn to be the easiest.

George McCoy

Apologies for the confusion.

I have some .iso files that contain classic tv programs. The .iso files were made for backup purposes. The  dvd disks are degraded and are now unplayable. I can mount the .iso images. They appear in the devices list on "This Pc" and I can open them and see the files list.

I could, of course, burn them onto dvds again, but what I'd really like to do is convert the files to a windows compatible format directly from the .iso images.

I looked into using vlc, but it streams the dvd content and records it ina windows compatible file format. That means that the programs are converted in real time. I have roughly 150 hours of content. I'd like to convert it before I die of old age. 😉

I want both audio and video so I can enjoy these old shows again with my sighted wife and children.

I think Handbreak might do the trick, but I'm finding it difficult to navigate with nvda. If anyone has ripped dvd disks with handbreak, I'd appreciate it if you would email me offlist and give me some pointers. Maybe it would also handle mounted .iso files.

George McCoy

I respectfully suggest, sir, that that is a singularly inappropriate comment. Brian is a great guy and has been a tremendous asset to this list. I also respectfully submit that an Us-against-them mentality does no one any good.

Mr. Vogel was, quite rightly, asking for clarification of my issue, which I was more than happy to provide.

Thank you,

George

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 02:16 PM, George McCoy wrote:
No, I mean .iso images of dvd disks that I want to mount and then rip in windows 10.
-
George,

             I saw your longer reply as well.  Do you actually need to rip them?  I would think that once you mount this sort of ISO as a virtual DVD you should be able to play it directly from that virtual DVD directory.  But what I cannot remember is what "the beginning of DVD content" is named file-wise.

             One of the huge advantages in newer versions of Windows is that you can mount ISO files as virtual media and have Windows "play with it" as though it were that media itself.  If push comes to shove, I'd try mounting one, then opening the media player of your choosing, and trying to play that drive that's really not a drive but that Windows has set up as though it were upon mounting.

              Yours is an unusual situation, but it may be easier to resolve by doing little to nothing.  It will take some playing to see.

tim

Simple, You send it to a vertual dvd and then ripe the audio track from it.
A lot have ben doing that for dsv tracks for over ten years or more.

On 12/29/2020 2:12 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Brian.  I'll give it a try with VLC first.

On 12/29/2020 2:15 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

yes VLC will be able to play the ISO of the dvd once loaded

have fun

Ian

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 12:48 AM, Ian Blackburn wrote:
yes VLC will be able to play the ISO of the dvd once loaded
-
Thanks for confirming this.  It also means that a ton of unnecessary (and probably useless) work will now be avoided.