From: Shaun Everiss
Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2021 6:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] edge and gmail

Hi.

Found this while checking email in gmail, nvda crashes at the sign screen.

I won't send the log to anyone unless someone wants it but it looks like
i accessible and uia having a war.

No, second or third, I do have the latest update of edge though.

If I restart nvda it will work, and edge itself hasn't crashed but I do need to restart nvda then edge will work as normal.

On 1/02/2021 1:09 pm, Gene wrote:
Is this the first time you have signed in to Google with Edge?  I suspect that if this were a general problem, we would have heard quite a bit about it before now.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Shaun Everiss
Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2021 6:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi.

Found this while checking email in gmail, nvda crashes at the sign screen.

I won't send the log to anyone unless someone wants it but it looks like
i accessible and uia having a war.

Gene

We'll see if others report the problem. Have you been successful at logging in with earlier versions of either program?

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2021 6:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi.

Found this while checking email in gmail, nvda crashes at the sign screen.

I won't send the log to anyone unless someone wants it but it looks like
i accessible and uia having a war.

Sarah k Alawami

No issues over here. I was just on gmail using edge for the first time in a while. Knock on wood, everything is working fine.

Found this while checking email in gmail, nvda crashes at the sign screen.

I won't send the log to anyone unless someone wants it but it looks like i accessible and uia having a war.

Yes, truth is after I restart nvda I can login just fine, something seems to trip up speech causing nvda to freeze at least 3 stacks, but edge itself is not crashed just nvda.

A restart of nvda will have me able to continue to login my session though so its not a big issue.

Sadly, microsoft sites I used to use have completely gone away from explorer including weather as of this week and my version of firefox will not run them so I am stuck to using either chrome or edge and microsoft keeps wanting me to use edge no matter what I use so edge is what I use for microsoft things right now.

Its fine if I don't login but still.

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2021 6:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi.

Found this while checking email in gmail, nvda crashes at the sign screen.

I won't send the log to anyone unless someone wants it but it looks like
i accessible and uia having a war.

Sarah k Alawami

Have you considered scanning for problems on your disk, and doing a windows repair if necessary? This sounds more like an windows issue to me as knock on wood, no one else has reported this issue.

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2021 6:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 07:00 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Found this while checking email in gmail, nvda crashes at the sign screen.
-
If this is something you can reliably reproduce, then you can and should try the instructions for:  Creating an Issue in GitHub for NVDA

Those include the pre-problem-creation steps you need to do to try to figure out whether you even need to create an issue, which involves trying to determine where the problem lies.

       ~ Brian Vogel

Hmph, well its only happening with edge.

As for a full repair, no, for various reasons, firstly I did that on a system running latest update and had to revert because it screwed things so badly it was revert or reformat and I didn't have time.

The other thing, chkdsk, microsoft says its fixed, but it screws up ntfs partitions, this means another reformat, so no on both accounts.

To be honest, I may try to turn off uia in edge and run with it like that.

No idea why edge interacts like that, but its not edge itself it seems to be nvda if push comes to shove I may just install chrome, there is nothing wrong with my system its just edge interacting weirdly with google for some reason.

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2021 6:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi.

Found this while checking email in gmail, nvda crashes at the sign
screen.

I won't send the log to anyone unless someone wants it but it looks
like i accessible and uia having a war.

.

Mike Capelle <mcap@...>

Weird, I use chkdsk all the time, and it works no problem on ntfs.

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2021 6:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi.

Found this while checking email in gmail, nvda crashes at the sign
screen.

I won't send the log to anyone unless someone wants it but it looks
like i accessible and uia having a war.

.

Well in that case microsoft have fixed the issue then.

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2021 6:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi.

Found this while checking email in gmail, nvda crashes at the sign
screen.

I won't send the log to anyone unless someone wants it but it looks
like i accessible and uia having a war.

.

Well did more testing.

if I go to www.gmail.com and start typing in the user field, nvda will crash, I restart nvda, and it will work till I restart the system.

So its some sort of interacting issue.

Once nvda is started, then.

if anyone wants a log that will be fine I am using the latest edge stable.

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2021 6:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi.

Found this while checking email in gmail, nvda crashes at the sign
screen.

I won't send the log to anyone unless someone wants it but it looks
like i accessible and uia having a war.

.

Gene

If you have the problem and no one or almost no one else does, then it may well be a problem somewhere in your system or something anomalous about it. It is a very minor problem and not worth going through much work to solve, in muy opinion, but using Chrome or the Brave browser just for that site would be a good work around.

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2021 6:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi.

Found this while checking email in gmail, nvda crashes at the sign
screen.

I won't send the log to anyone unless someone wants it but it looks
like i accessible and uia having a war.

.

Sarah k Alawami

Email the log to quenten, or attach the log in a bug report on github, or in a comment if there is a bug report on said issue. The markdown will take care of the rest.

Good luck.

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2021 6:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi.

Found this while checking email in gmail, nvda crashes at the sign
screen.

I won't send the log to anyone unless someone wants it but it looks
like i accessible and uia having a war.

.

Sarah k Alawami

Yep, you are so far the only one reporting this, so I would suggest doing a repair or reinstall of windows. CHKDSK and dism works fine on windows using ntfs volumes. I just did this a week ago as I had some issues. Also did you run the com fixing tool NVDA has? Maybe something broke there as well.

Sorry we cannot be of any help, looks like you are very much on your own from here on out.

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2021 6:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi.

Found this while checking email in gmail, nvda crashes at the sign
screen.

I won't send the log to anyone unless someone wants it but it looks
like i accessible and uia having a war.

.

I agree, its easily fixed when it happens its just slightly annoying but its not that big of a deal.

Could be interaction or driver or something, something aint clicking when some scripts load is my suspician, at any rate, its not like I need it for everything and only 1 address and a couple other things.

Its just a querk, could be my cpu, who knows.

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2021 6:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi.

Found this while checking email in gmail, nvda crashes at the sign
screen.

I won't send the log to anyone unless someone wants it but it looks
like i accessible and uia having a war.

.

.

what is quentin's email address?

I'll send it to him some time today.

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2021 6:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 03:48 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
what is quentin's email address?
-
He has always requested that stuff like this be sent to info@..., and include an explanation of why the log is being sent in the email message itself.

       ~ Brian Vogel

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 02:11 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
The other thing, chkdsk, microsoft says its fixed, but it screws up ntfs partitions, this means another reformat, so no on both accounts.
-
Shaun,

          As moderator, I am going to issue this warning but once:  Stop posting utterly inaccurate information.  This is absolutely untrue and anyone who has been around Windows for decades knows it to be so.

           Your assertion about repair installs is incorrect also.

            You do not ever seem to notice how idiosyncratic virtually all your problems are.  And you are the only person I know who has had to do as many "nuke and pave" reinstalls as you have.  That tells me something, and it isn't good.

       ~ Brian Vogel

AAh ok.

Well just tried on uninstalling and reinstalling edge and its still doing that.

Its working ok on my intel based system so could be an amd issue.

However the reason I was using edge was so I could switch to basic view because for some reason my firefox doesn't seem to have that button showing.

After fiddling round online I managed to find how to get the links to both modes.

Unless they change, I have set a couple cutt.us links to run this on any brouser.

www.cutt.us/gmaildefault will give standard view.

www.cutt.us/gmailweb will give basic view.

Its certainly better than bothering to even use edge at all, now if only I could get msn weather to load in firefox without using edge that would be good, but that at least works well enough.

I will try the rc and send the nvda team once I have more data on this thing but its not as urgent as it once was, as I have hacked my way around it at least for now.

The reason I was using edge at all for gmail was that