Topics

Editing an Excel cell with a Braille display

Jane Carona <jane.e.carona@...>

I promise this is the last question for today!  But I notice that when I want to edit a cell in Excel, and hit F2, my braille display (a very old Focus 80) doesn’t track, and the cursor routing keys don’t work and my edits don’t show up until I hit enter.  Do I have some setting wrong?  Or is this a problem with NVDA and the Focus.  Also, my capital alerts aren’t working, with no differentiation for capitalized letters, even though I have it set in settings to notify me with pitch of any capitalization changes.

I’ve been playing with this most of the day now, and I think I’m going off to read a book.  I bet everyone’s breathing a sigh of relief!

Jane Carona

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Jane,

I dont use a Braille display with the computer so I cannot help with that. However, it might be a help to know that I find that NVDA does not echo my typing in a cell that I am editing until I backspace /delete a character, such as a space, for example. Then the cursor key is tracked and speaks fully. I can imagine that once NVDA is activated in this way,, your Focus should get some stimulus from NVDA.

You might also find it useful to know that if NVDA is silent after editing a cell or any other activity, pressing the left alt key twice will get NVDA back into focus and it will speak everything as usual.

All the best,

Cearbhall

I promise this is the last question for today!  But I notice that when I want to edit a cell in Excel, and hit F2, my braille display (a very old Focus 80) doesn’t track, and the cursor routing keys don’t work and my edits don’t show up until I hit enter.  Do I have some setting wrong?  Or is this a problem with NVDA and the Focus.  Also, my capital alerts aren’t working, with no differentiation for capitalized letters, even though I have it set in settings to notify me with pitch of any capitalization changes.

I’ve been playing with this most of the day now, and I think I’m going off to read a book.  I bet everyone’s breathing a sigh of relief!

Jane Carona

Louis Maher

Hello Jane,

For Excel, try this.

You can try unchecking the box which says “allow editing directly in cells”.  In Excel 365, do this:

Open an Excel spreadsheet.

Type alt + f. Up arrow to options, hit enter. Down arrow to advanced. Tab until you find the box which says “allow editing directly in cells. Uncheck that

box. Shift + Tab until you reach OK. Hit enter.

As for the capitalization pitch indicator, I have noticed that some voices do not show the capitalization shift change.  For this reason, in the Speech option, I have chosen One Core Voices, and I use Microsoft Zira.

That voice does give me a capitalization pitch change.

Regards

Louis Maher

Phone: 713-444-7838

E-mail ljmaher03@...

I promise this is the last question for today!  But I notice that when I want to edit a cell in Excel, and hit F2, my braille display (a very old Focus 80) doesn’t track, and the cursor routing keys don’t work and my edits don’t show up until I hit enter.  Do I have some setting wrong?  Or is this a problem with NVDA and the Focus.  Also, my capital alerts aren’t working, with no differentiation for capitalized letters, even though I have it set in settings to notify me with pitch of any capitalization changes.

I’ve been playing with this most of the day now, and I think I’m going off to read a book.  I bet everyone’s breathing a sigh of relief!

Jane Carona

Jane Carona <jane.e.carona@...>

Oh wonderful, Louis, thanks so much! That worked like a charm!  Now I can edit cells as usual!  Thanank you!

Now today’s problem is that when I’m in outlook, typing a message, NVDA freezes and I have to hit control-alt-N to get it back, and sometimes I lose the message I was typing.  It worked fine till I had a guy from Microsoft accessibility yesterday who wanted to reinstall my NVDA to fix the Excel problem, and ever since then it’s done this.  I even had to go back into Jaws to tyhpe a message today!  But I haven’t given up yet.

Jane