Topics

Editing ESpeak-NG Variant Files

Bhavya shah

Dear all,

I am currently looking at all the ESpeak-NG variant files in
C:\Program Files (x86)\NVDA\synthDrivers\espeak-ng-data\voices\!v. I
was hoping to dip my feet in editing and improving ESpeak-NG variants
in the coming days, and see what I might be able to come up with.
* The variant files don't seem to have any extension. Which editor
should I open them with? Currently viewing a lot of numbers when
opening one of the variant files using Notepad.
* I would assume that if these numbers are meaningful, they depict
different parameters of a voice. Is there some reference on what these
different properties of speech are, so that I know what aspect of the
speech I am tweakingg when changing any number?
* Any other tips or thoughts on creating new ESpeak-NG variants and
refining existing one would also be useful.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Best Regards,
Bhavya

Laz

A plain text editor like Notepad is what one would use to open variant
files. Someone else should answer your other questions as I don't have
that information.

Laz

On 3/12/20, Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125@...> wrote:
[...]

Bluetooth devices, and accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@...
Phone: 727-498-0121
Skype: lazmesa

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi Bhavya

Have a look for the tweaky file

I have copied the contents of the file into this email. You can open those files with note pad found on your computer.

It will give you a idea of what to do.

##Please note the 2 number signs, or pound signs in this file are for comments to help you to understand what the settings are and how to set them.
## Language sets the language of your voice.  This setting is required for every voice that you make.
##The next line is a setting you can change.  However if you don't know the language codes it may be best to leave the setting as it is.
language variant

## The name setting is the name that will show up in the voice settings in the variant combo box.
##The next line is a setting you can change
name Tweaky

##The formant settings
##  Formant 0 is used to give a low frequency component to the sounds.
## The three numbers are frequency, strength, and Width, in that order.  Please note, the numbers are seperated by a space.
##The next line is a setting you can change
formant 0 100 100 100

# Formants 1,2, and 3 are the standard three formants which define vowels.
##The next 3 lines are settings you can change
formant 1 100 100 100
formant 2 100 100 100
formant 3 200 100 100

# Formants 4,5 are higher than F3. They affect the quality of the voice.
##The next 2 lines are settings that you can change.
formant 4 100 100 100
formant 5 100 100 100

## Formants 6, 7, and 8 are weak, high frequency, additions to vowels to give a clearer sound.
##The next 3 lines are settings that you can change.
formant 6 100 100 100
formant 7 100 100 100
formant 8 100 100 100

##Intonation affects the rise and fall of the voice
## The settings are 1 default, 2 less intonation, 3 less intonation and commas do not raise the pitch, 4 the pitch rises at the end of a sentence rather than falling.
##The next line is a setting you can change.
intonation 1

# Setting the pitch range.  The first number gives a base pitch to the voice (value in Hertz).  The second number controls the range of pitches used by the voice. Setting it equal
# to the first number will give a monotone sounding voice.  The default values are 82 and 118.
pitch 82 118
## The tone setting.  The first number on the setting line, 600, is the frequency setting for the amount of bass in the voice.
## The second number on the tone line is the volume of the bass frequency.  You can set it from 0 to 255, 0 being the least amount, 255 being the most.
##The third number on the tone line, 1200, is the mid range frequency.  The fourth number on the line is the setting to change the volume of the mid range frequency.
##0 being the least amount and 255 being the maximum.
## The fifth number on the tone line, 2000, is the treble frequency.  The sixth number is the volume of the treble frequency.  0 is the minimum and 255 is the maximum.
##  You will notice that all 3 frequencies are set to 255.
##The next line is a setting that you can change.
tone 600 255  1200 255 2000 255
##This file does not include all of the settings that can be used to modify an E Speak voice.  It is intended to get you familiar with what the settings do.
##However, you can go to http://espeak.sourceforge.net/voices.html and read further information about other settings that can be added and changed.  I hope this helps, and Have fun.