Email Client

Gene

Here is a possible solution that doesn't involve trying an uninstallation and reinstallation.  Here is a suggestion from an Internet discussion form.
To enable spell checking in Windows Live Mail:

•Go to the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Spelling tab
•Within the Language section click your language to select it
•Click Apply
•Click OK

This was written before the ribbon version came out but you will probably find this item but I'm not sure where.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 9:59 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Email Client

I don't know why.  All I can suggest is uninstalling and reinstalling the program.  That might help but I don't know how likely that is.. 

Gene
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 9:23 PM

Hello Gene,

Thanks for your suggestion. My last message was written in haste and I neglected to point out that I had already tried F7 without effect. When I go to the spellcheck via the ribbon, it tells me that it is disabled and I can find no way of enabling it.

Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 12:03 PM

If you mean to run the spellchecker, the short cut command is f7.  That is a very common command to run the spell checker in programs that have them.

Gene
------- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:43 AM

I am using mainly Windows Live Mail and for the most part it works well. However, I have not found a way to  enable the spellcheck facility. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 11:14 PM

I'm with everyone so far, but in different senses.

Thunderbird is indeed an excellent e-mail client overall and works beautifully with NVDA and other screen readers.  One can teach basic use and ignore all the bells and whistles not needed.  That being said, the less sophisticated user can and often does get themselves into trouble by fat-fingering something and triggering some function that they do not know about, do not wish to trigger, and have no idea how to exit.  That is the trouble with using a really full-featured e-mail client like Thunderbird.

I like Windows Live Mail 2012, and even though it's no longer officially supported that is mostly because Microsoft decided to change their proprietary access methods and did not wish to continue updating Windows Live Mail.   It still serves perfectly well as a POP or IMAP e-mail client.  If you want to download a copy of the full offline installer for Microsoft Essentials, of which Windows Live Mail is a part, it's on my Google Drive in 7-Zip format here.  I snagged a copy of the offline installer a couple of weeks before Microsoft withdrew active support.

I have recently learned of another fairly simple email client, eM Client, that looks quite good but I have not had a chance yet to evaluate it from an accessibility standpoint.  The interface seems to be simpler than Thunderbird's is, and that can be critical.   If you do evaluate this client for accessibility please report back.
--
Brian

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

Peter Chin

Hello Ron,

Thanks very much for your reply.  I think you have hit the nail on the head. I do have Microsoft Office installed and, presumably registered, because my free version of Window-Eyes is working fine, but I think the computer technician installed WLM before installing Microsoft Office and so that’s where the problem lies. It looks like I shall either have to re-install WLM or download a separate spellchecker.

Thanks once again for solving my problem.

Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 1:04 PM

Hi Peter,

Keep in mind that if you do not have a Microsoft Office product installed then the spell checker will not work in Windows Live Mail.  You can get a number of free spell checkers that will work with Windows Live Mail.  I haven't needed one for a while, but someone on the list will probably recommend one or you can Google Spell Checker for Windows Live Mail and find one.

On 4/13/2017 12:03 AM, Gene wrote:
If you mean to run the spellchecker, the short cut command is f7.  That is a very common command to run the spell checker in programs that have them.

Gene

I am using mainly Windows Live Mail and for the most part it works well. However, I have not found a way to  enable the spellcheck facility. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thunderbird is indeed an excellent e-mail client overall and works beautifully with NVDA and other screen readers.  One can teach basic use and ignore all the bells and whistles not needed.  That being said, the less sophisticated user can and often does get themselves into trouble by fat-fingering something and triggering some function that they do not know about, do not wish to trigger, and have no idea how to exit.  That is the trouble with using a really full-featured e-mail client like Thunderbird.

I like Windows Live Mail 2012, and even though it's no longer officially supported that is mostly because Microsoft decided to change their proprietary access methods and did not wish to continue updating Windows Live Mail.   It still serves perfectly well as a POP or IMAP e-mail client.  If you want to download a copy of the full offline installer for Microsoft Essentials, of which Windows Live Mail is a part, it's on my Google Drive in 7-Zip format here.  I snagged a copy of the offline installer a couple of weeks before Microsoft withdrew active support.

I have recently learned of another fairly simple email client, eM Client, that looks quite good but I have not had a chance yet to evaluate it from an accessibility standpoint.  The interface seems to be simpler than Thunderbird's is, and that can be critical.   If you do evaluate this client for accessibility please report back.
--
Brian

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Peter Chin

Thanks for your suggestion.
I do have Microsoft Office installed but I think it was installed after WLM so therein lies the problem. It looks like I shall have either to reinstall WLM or download a separate spellchecker.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 1:22 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

If you do not have any microsoft office product installed you have no spell
hecker. Its another reason why I'm still using Outlook express.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 8:43 AM

I am using mainly Windows Live Mail and for the most part it works well.
However, I have not found a way to enable the spellcheck facility.
Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thunderbird is indeed an excellent e-mail client overall and works
beautifully with NVDA and other screen readers. One can teach basic use and
ignore all the bells and whistles not needed. That being said, the less
sophisticated user can and often does get themselves into trouble by
fat-fingering something and triggering some function that they do not know
about, do not wish to trigger, and have no idea how to exit. That is the
trouble with using a really full-featured e-mail client like Thunderbird.

I like Windows Live Mail 2012, and even though it's no longer officially
supported that is mostly because Microsoft decided to change their
proprietary access methods and did not wish to continue updating Windows
Live Mail. It still serves perfectly well as a POP or IMAP e-mail client.
If you want to download a copy of the full offline installer for Microsoft
Essentials, of which Windows Live Mail is a part, it's on my Google Drive in
7-Zip format here. I snagged a copy of the offline installer a couple of
weeks before Microsoft withdrew active support.

I have recently learned of another fairly simple email client, eM Client,
that looks quite good but I have not had a chance yet to evaluate it from an
accessibility standpoint. The interface seems to be simpler than
Thunderbird's is, and that can be critical. If you do evaluate this client
for accessibility please report back.
--
Brian

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the
right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

That should have nothing to do with the problem.  Windows Live Mail doesn't use the Microsoft word processor's spell checker.  I don't have Word installed and the spell checker in the program works fine. You can experiment but I'm not sure what might happen if you uninstall and reinstall Word or Office.  It may damage something NVDA needs to function properly and you may have a new and more serious problem.  If anything, try reinstalling Windows Live Mail and I would be very reluctant to uninstall and reinstall Word or Office.  I wouldn't do it before asking the list about possible general effects on NVDA and if reinstalling gets rid of the problem I've seen discussed here that uninstalling causes.

Gene

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 4:32 AM

Thanks for your suggestion.
I do have Microsoft Office installed but I think it was installed after WLM
so therein lies the problem. It looks like I shall have either to reinstall
WLM or download a separate spellchecker.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 1:22 AM

If you do not have any microsoft office product installed you have no spell
hecker. Its another reason why I'm still using Outlook express.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 8:43 AM

I am using mainly Windows Live Mail and for the most part it works well.
However, I have not found a way to  enable the spellcheck facility.
Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thunderbird is indeed an excellent e-mail client overall and works
beautifully with NVDA and other screen readers.  One can teach basic use and
ignore all the bells and whistles not needed.  That being said, the less
sophisticated user can and often does get themselves into trouble by
fat-fingering something and triggering some function that they do not know
about, do not wish to trigger, and have no idea how to exit.  That is the
trouble with using a really full-featured e-mail client like Thunderbird.

I like Windows Live Mail 2012, and even though it's no longer officially
supported that is mostly because Microsoft decided to change their
proprietary access methods and did not wish to continue updating Windows
Live Mail.   It still serves perfectly well as a POP or IMAP e-mail client.
If you want to download a copy of the full offline installer for Microsoft
Essentials, of which Windows Live Mail is a part, it's on my Google Drive in
7-Zip format here.  I snagged a copy of the offline installer a couple of
weeks before Microsoft withdrew active support.

I have recently learned of another fairly simple email client, eM Client,
that looks quite good but I have not had a chance yet to evaluate it from an
accessibility standpoint.  The interface seems to be simpler than
Thunderbird's is, and that can be critical.   If you do evaluate this client
for accessibility please report back.
--
Brian

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the
right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

I'll second Gene's suggestion that you do not uninstall Microsoft Office.

It is a simple matter to uninstall and reinstall Windows Live Mail (provided you have the installer downloaded already, and if you don't you can snag in in 7z zipped format here) and, provided you've been using IMAP access to get to your email account(s) all of your messages will have been retained on the server and will be visible again when you set up your account(s) in a fresh installation of WLM.  If you've been using POP, with the conventional settings that delete messages from the server either on download or after a certain number of days, the issue becomes significantly more complicated if you need to keep old messages.
--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

andy.tidwell

This may sound crazy but did you go in to the options and mail options and check the spell tab?

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 10:47 AM

I'll second Gene's suggestion that you do not uninstall Microsoft Office.

It is a simple matter to uninstall and reinstall Windows Live Mail (provided you have the installer downloaded already, and if you don't you can snag in in 7z zipped format here) and, provided you've been using IMAP access to get to your email account(s) all of your messages will have been retained on the server and will be visible again when you set up your account(s) in a fresh installation of WLM.  If you've been using POP, with the conventional settings that delete messages from the server either on download or after a certain number of days, the issue becomes significantly more complicated if you need to keep old messages.
--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Jesus dyed for us, why can't we live for him?

Gene

I'm not sure what you mean by check the spell tab.  You can't check the spell tab, it isn't a check item.  It's a tab that announces that you are in the spell part of the dialog.  If you mean check the items in the spell tab, meaning tab around and look at how they are set, that may help, but I doubt it.  But there's no harm in trying.

Gene

----- Original Messsage ------

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 9:58 AM

This may sound crazy but did you go in to the options and mail options and check the spell tab?

It is a simple matter to uninstall and reinstall Windows Live Mail (provided you have the installer downloaded already, and if you don't you can snag in in 7z zipped format here) and, provided you've been using IMAP access to get to your email account(s) all of your messages will have been retained on the server and will be visible again when you set up your account(s) in a fresh installation of WLM.  If you've been using POP, with the conventional settings that delete messages from the server either on download or after a certain number of days, the issue becomes significantly more complicated if you need to keep old messages.
--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Rui Fontes

Hello.
Checking the first item of that table...

Rui

-----Mensagem Original-----
De: Gene
Data: 14 de abril de 2017 16:06
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Assunto: Re: [nvda] Email Client

I'm not sure what you mean by check the spell tab. You can't check the spell tab, it isn't a check item. It's a tab that announces that you are in the spell part of the dialog. If you mean check the items in the spell tab, meaning tab around and look at how they are set, that may help, but I doubt it. But there's no harm in trying.

Gene

It is a simple matter to uninstall and reinstall Windows Live Mail (provided you have the installer downloaded already, and if you don't you can snag in in 7z zipped format here) and, provided you've been using IMAP access to get to your email account(s) all of your messages will have been retained on the server and will be visible again when you set up your account(s) in a fresh installation of WLM. If you've been using POP, with the conventional settings that delete messages from the server either on download or after a certain number of days, the issue becomes significantly more complicated if you need to keep old messages.
--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

andy.tidwell

Yes that is what I mean go through and check the items you want in the spell tab if he is using WLM 2012 there is an options sub menu and in there is
one called mail and there are several tabs in there and one is called spell tab using jaws you need to tab through there and check the options you
want. I hope you can understand what I mean this time I have not used NVDA in there so jaws may read differently I was only trying to help maybe
NVDA reads this differently I hope this may help.

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 11:06 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by check the spell tab.  You can't check the spell tab, it isn't a check item.  It's a tab that announces that you are in the spell part of the dialog.  If you mean check the items in the spell tab, meaning tab around and look at how they are set, that may help, but I doubt it.  But there's no harm in trying.

Gene

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

No, NVDA reads the items in the same way. 

Gene

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 11:33 AM

Yes that is what I mean go through and check the items you want in the spell tab if he is using WLM 2012 there is an options sub menu and in there is
one called mail and there are several tabs in there and one is called spell tab using jaws you need to tab through there and check the options you
want. I hope you can understand what I mean this time I have not used NVDA in there so jaws may read differently I was only trying to help maybe
NVDA reads this differently I hope this may help.

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 11:06 AM

Gene

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Peter Chin

Thanks. Will try it as soon as I have some free time to explore.

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 11:14 AM

Here is a possible solution that doesn't involve trying an uninstallation and reinstallation.  Here is a suggestion from an Internet discussion form.

•Click Apply
•Click OK

This was written before the ribbon version came out but you will probably find this item but I'm not sure where.

Gene

I don't know why.  All I can suggest is uninstalling and reinstalling the program.  That might help but I don't know how likely that is.. 

Gene

Hello Gene,

Thanks for your suggestion. My last message was written in haste and I neglected to point out that I had already tried F7 without effect. When I go to the spellcheck via the ribbon, it tells me that it is disabled and I can find no way of enabling it.

Gene

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Peter Chin

Thanks, Gene and Brian. No, I was not thinking of uninstalling MS Office. I was meaning I might have to uninstall WLM. However, Gene has sent me another suggestion which I will try soon. When I have done it, I will inform you whether it works.

Thanks again.

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 10:47 PM

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Peter Chin

Yes, I did and it tells me that it is disabled.

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 10:58 PM

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Peter Chin

Sorry, I was not clear. What I meant was that I tried to use spellcheck  by bringing it up through the ribbon instead of pressing F7,but couldn’t get it to work when I pressed enter.

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 11:06 PM

Gene

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

If f7 doesn't work, it's very unlikely the ribbon method will work but it's worth trying.  The other suggestion I made is something you may have already done, according to one of your previous messages today.  It is a setting you get to in preferences and you evidently already checked that setting.  Uninstalling and reinstalling may solve the problem or there may be a third party spell checker you can use.  Either way, you can probably solve or work around the problem.

Gene

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 10:25 PM

Sorry, I was not clear. What I meant was that I tried to use spellcheck  by bringing it up through the ribbon instead of pressing F7,but couldn’t get it to work when I pressed enter.

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 11:06 PM

Gene

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill

Peter Chin

Hello Gene,

Sorry for the late reply but I have been having some problems with my internet connection.
I have tried your suggestion of going to the language menu. Unfortunately, the spellcheck in WLM still remains disabled. I will have to get a third party spell checker.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 11:14 AM

•Click Apply
•Click OK

Gene

Gene

Hello Gene,

Gene

--
Brian

~ Dorothy Nevill