Enquiry about add-ons for Audio Production Software

Charlie Dyasi

Hello everyone, I just want to know if anyone has, or is there any add on for: ProTools on Windows, Abelson live, studio one, or any other recording software that producers are using out there?

I have a friend that wants to use machine, but Is struggling immensely to control the parameters of machine.

I would love to go back to my ProTools, because I have the license, and get myself immersed in everything about ProTools, but my only option seems to go only on the Mac.

I would really love to hear more about this if anyone can tell me about it, hope all of you have a lovely day.

Charlie
South Africa.

Chris Smart

Try Reaper with both Osara and the SWS extension installed. Also see Komplete Kontrol by Native Instruments for your keyboard needs.

www.reaperaccessibility.com

On 2021-05-08 5:33 p.m., Charlie Dyasi wrote:
Hello everyone, I just want to know if anyone has, or is there any add on for: ProTools on Windows, Abelson live, studio one, or any other recording software that producers are using out there?

I have a friend that wants to use machine, but Is struggling immensely to control the parameters of machine.

I would love to go back to my ProTools, because I have the license, and get myself immersed in everything about ProTools, but my only option seems to go only on the Mac.

I would really love to hear more about this if anyone can tell me about it, hope all of you have a lovely day.

Charlie
South Africa.

Charlie Dyasi

Hi Chris, thank you so much for this, but Reaper, I have it installed on my laptop, but my laptop is so old, it takes for ever just open up reaper at least in half an hour.
and as a result, I have never been able to learn how to use reaper. I’m still saving to buy a new computer, that maybe I can take me about what ,for months but eventually I’ll get there.
With been laid off from work as well, it has made things just much harder because of Covid, I hope everyone who still has got a job to wake up to, is enjoying it.
Charlie

Roger Stewart

I use Gold Wave, Audacity and mp3 Direct Cut.  Don't know what your requirements are, but Audacity is the most versatile multi track editor.  Gold wave  also excellent.

Roger

On 5/8/2021 4:33 PM, Charlie Dyasi wrote:
Hello everyone, I just want to know if anyone has, or is there any add on for: ProTools on Windows, Abelson live, studio one, or any other recording software that producers are using out there?

I have a friend that wants to use machine, but Is struggling immensely to control the parameters of machine.

I would love to go back to my ProTools, because I have the license, and get myself immersed in everything about ProTools, but my only option seems to go only on the Mac.

I would really love to hear more about this if anyone can tell me about it, hope all of you have a lovely day.

Charlie
South Africa.

.

Luke Davis

Charlie Dyasi wrote:

Reaper, I have it installed on my laptop, but my laptop is so old, it takes for ever just open up reaper at least in half an hour.
I suspect you will have that problem with any of the high-end audio software. Even Audacity doesn't perform well on older machines, at least not for transcoding or FX tasks.
I can't imagine that Protools will either; it has always been a resource hog.

Luke

dennis huckle

Luke,
The only add on I can find is the one for goldwave.
Not really looked in to how it works yet because you will know I have been researching braille commands for nvda and braille displays.
The goldwave add on is in the list of add ons listed in get addons.
Not much help I know but hope it puts you in the right direction.
Kind regards,
Dennis huckle.

On 2021-05-08 7:12 p.m., Luke Davis wrote:
Charlie Dyasi wrote:

Reaper, I have it installed on my laptop, but my laptop is so old, it takes for ever just open up reaper at least in half an hour.
Half an hour? Seriously?

Reaper itself is very light on resources.

Steve Nutt

Hi,

I would say the most accessible DAW with NVDA, is Reaper.

Check out http://www.reaperaccessibility.com.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@comproom.co.uk
Hello everyone, I just want to know if anyone has, or is there any add on for: ProTools on Windows, Abelson live, studio one, or any other recording software that producers are using out there?

I have a friend that wants to use machine, but Is struggling immensely to control the parameters of machine.

I would love to go back to my ProTools, because I have the license, and get myself immersed in everything about ProTools, but my only option seems to go only on the Mac.

I would really love to hear more about this if anyone can tell me about it, hope all of you have a lovely day.

Charlie
South Africa.

Steve Nutt

I was going to say, Reaper is one of the lightest audio production systems
in terms of resources, that I have used. So if your computer takes that
long in Reaper, you won't have much success with any.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@comproom.co.uk

On Sun, May 9, 2021 at 06:33 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:
So if your computer takes that long in Reaper, you won't have much success with any.
-
Which is a single example of the old saw, "You can't get blood from a stone."

As RAM and processing power got cheaper and cheaper, programs were designed to take advantage of having more RAM and processing power to play with.  Whether it so happens to be DAWs or anything else, you really cannot expect XP/Vista/very early Win7 eras of hardware to perform well with software that taxes them beyond their limits.

And even if the hardware is newer and up to the task, it still needs to have enough RAM to have breathing room.  I not infrequently see clients who have computers with 4GB of RAM trying to run Windows 10 and complaining that it's slow.  It will be slow, no question, with that little RAM.  And the older your processor is, the worse it's likely to get if you have insufficient RAM.

With everything, it's about fitting the tool to the task, and if you don't, you get anything from a suboptimal to just plain awful experience.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Arlene

Hi, Does Reaper pick up NVDA while using it to record shows?  Does it matter how fast your prosessor works while using Reaper?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I was going to say, Reaper is one of the lightest audio production systems

in terms of resources, that I have used.  So if your computer takes that

long in Reaper, you won't have much success with any.

All the best

Steve

https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

On 2021-05-09 1:49 p.m., Arlene wrote:

Hi, Does Reaper pick up NVDA while using it to record shows?

That all depends on which audio device you are recording through, how you have things routed etc. If you want to do something simple like record a show, you probably don't need Reaper.

Does it matter how fast your prosessor works while using Reaper?

Again, for doing what? Playing back a 100+ track project with lots of virtual instruments and effects processing? Yes. For recording a single thing onto one track, no.

Arlene

I am interested in learning how to record shows like 48 hours from this computer. I thought I had to use Reaper. Someone told me if you record from the PC it does pick up the screen reader weather you use JAWS, NVDA etc. but with a Mac you don’t pick up the screen reader when using Audio High Jack that the Mac uses.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hi, Does Reaper pick up NVDA while using it to record shows?

That all depends on which audio device you are recording through, how you have things routed etc. If you want to do something simple like record a show, you probably don't need Reaper.

Does it matter how fast your prosessor works while using Reaper?

Again, for doing what? Playing back a 100+ track project with lots of virtual instruments and effects processing? Yes. For recording a single thing onto one track, no.

Gene

It isn’t clear how you intend to record.  Are you recording content the computer is playing such as from a web stream or are you recording from something else like a cable television connected to the line-in jack of your computer?

We can’t advise on the best way to do what you want to do without knowing that.

I am interested in learning how to record shows like 48 hours from this computer. I thought I had to use Reaper. Someone told me if you record from the PC it does pick up the screen reader weather you use JAWS, NVDA etc. but with a Mac you don’t pick up the screen reader when using Audio High Jack that the Mac uses.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hi, Does Reaper pick up NVDA while using it to record shows?

That all depends on which audio device you are recording through, how you have things routed etc. If you want to do something simple like record a show, you probably don't need Reaper.

Does it matter how fast your prosessor works while using Reaper?

Again, for doing what? Playing back a 100+ track project with lots of virtual instruments and effects processing? Yes. For recording a single thing onto one track, no.

Roger Stewart

If you are just wanting to record programs and not do any serious editing, then all you'll need is mp3 Direct Cut. This will do the job nicely and will also let you edit out commercials or the beginning and the end of the show if you get a few minutes you don't need. NVDA has an add on for mp3 Direct Cut and works very well.  Best of all, it's FREE! :)

Roger

On 5/9/2021 1:47 PM, Arlene wrote:

[...]

But if you are recording material the PC is actually playing, the most simple solution may well be virtual recorder.  then you can use MP3 Direct Cut for editing.  MP3 Direct cut can’t record from your computer itself unless you have a soundcard that supports Stereo Mix, also known by other names including What You Hear.  On board sound, which a typical computer has when sold, usually doesn’t support that option.  An external USB sound card that does is the usual solution.  But Virtual Recorder solves the problem.  It can record what your computer plays even if the onboard sound or sound card you are using doesn’t.

Hi, Does Reaper pick up NVDA while using it to record shows?

That all depends on which audio device you are recording through, how you have things routed etc. If you want to do something simple like record a show, you probably don't need Reaper.

Does it matter how fast your prosessor works while using Reaper?

Again, for doing what? Playing back a 100+ track project with lots of virtual instruments and effects processing? Yes. For recording a single thing onto one track, no.

.

Arlene

Sorry, I wasn’t clear from what I wanted. I was heading out the door. I don’t have cable TV. My friend records 48 hours from the web using Audio High Jack.  I do have a hook up If I did record from the TV if it had cable. My friend has Apple TV  Can I record shows from it as I would using cable TV?

[...]

Hi, do you have to pay for virtual recorder? If so, can you record with Goldwave? I have it on this computer. Someone gave it to me as a gift. I heard you can do it but never learned how to do it.

[...]

If I use that, does NVDA get onto the recording as you record from the web?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hi, Does Reaper pick up NVDA while using it to record shows?

That all depends on which audio device you are recording through, how you have things routed etc. If you want to do something simple like record a show, you probably don't need Reaper.

Does it matter how fast your prosessor works while using Reaper?

Again, for doing what? Playing back a 100+ track project with lots of virtual instruments and effects processing? Yes. For recording a single thing onto one track, no.

.

Gene

You should be able to record with Goldwave from the computer even if the soundcard doesn’t support it.  That is my understanding from discussions I’ve seen on lists.  But are you talking about recording something from another appliance?  You said your friend has Apple TV, but what will you be recording from?