Topics

ergent, nvda is sensitive to capital letters:

hi every one.
how can set nvda not sensitive to capital letters?
beginning of words with capital letters does not cause a problem and
in most cases nvda reads the words properly.
but unfortunately when someone write the words with many capital
letters even in the middle and end of the words nvda reads the
sentences and in many cases leter by letter and i could not understand
my skype messages and emails?
what should i do to solve this problem?
thanks and god bless you all.

holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.
al-islam.org

Patrick Le Baudour

Hi,

I'm not certain about this, but i believe it depends mainly on the synthetiser and voices used, not on nvda.
I usually don't have this problem with zira as SAPI5 voice.
Another problem you may have, though, is 'AOL speaking' - that would probably lead to strange results.

-- Patrick

Le 12/03/2016 06:52, nasrin khaksar a écrit :
hi every one.
how can set nvda not sensitive to capital letters?
beginning of words with capital letters does not cause a problem and
in most cases nvda reads the words properly.
but unfortunately when someone write the words with many capital
letters even in the middle and end of the words nvda reads the
sentences and in many cases leter by letter and i could not understand
my skype messages and emails?
what should i do to solve this problem?
thanks and god bless you all.

Gene NZ <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

They might have there caps lock key on tell them to turn it off if they are all in capitals. Say they are yelling.

If you have a mic, you could always audio chat.

Gene nz

On 12-Mar-16 6:52 PM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
hi every one.
how can set nvda not sensitive to capital letters?
beginning of words with capital letters does not cause a problem and
in most cases nvda reads the words properly.
but unfortunately when someone write the words with many capital
letters even in the middle and end of the words nvda reads the
sentences and in many cases leter by letter and i could not understand
my skype messages and emails?
what should i do to solve this problem?
thanks and god bless you all.

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Gene,

I have to be careful too because this keyboard has all the keys close together so I have to make sure I don't accidentally press the caps lock key.

Rosemarie

Hi

They might have there caps lock key on tell them to turn it off if they are all in capitals. Say they are yelling.

If you have a mic, you could always audio chat.

Gene nz

On 12-Mar-16 6:52 PM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
hi every one.
how can set nvda not sensitive to capital letters?
beginning of words with capital letters does not cause a problem and
in most cases nvda reads the words properly.
but unfortunately when someone write the words with many capital
letters even in the middle and end of the words nvda reads the
sentences and in many cases leter by letter and i could not understand
my skype messages and emails?
what should i do to solve this problem?
thanks and god bless you all.

To be honest I am not sure if you are a home user or what but when at home I use an asus strix pro tactic gaming organic mechanical blue cherry switch there are gaps betwene all the keys.
Now a mechanical board may not be ideal for everyone.
I have discovered that the management software is not accessable so that means some extra macro keys at the sides top and bottom are not usable.
The other thing is there is a whine from the board during access while on a desktop its not a problem on a laptop you can hear it via its soundcard but not bad.
Do not plug this into a hub with a card or in fact with any unshielded device because the hum will just overpower things same goes with a desktop cooler fan.
Its also heavier however the mechanical board is sensitive in fact if you don't watch it you can press to much and things go woosh all over the show.
On the other hand when typing I find it extremely fluid and fast faster than my standard board.

The only other thing one needs to watch with the board is it is heavier than a standard board to.
and it costs it is a 200 + unit could be 300, but its a military grade unit tested in all sorts of environments I can not prove this the guy that I got it from in the shop said they test it in fire, heat, space and ice among other things and says that he saw it being tested or maybe online who knows.
One thing I really like is that on gaming sessions I can go and bash the hell out of the board and know that it will almost never break.
When playing a game I cam inagin myself infront of an old style arcade unit bashing away.
Its not for everyone but its got more space than your average board.
Most of these things are usb though.
While it is not accessable to manage the boards software its firmware updater is accessable enough to update, yes this thing is so advanced it has bios of some sort in it.
The first thing I did with this thing was update to the latest firmware from the manufacturers website.

On 12/03/2016 7:14 p.m., Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
[...]

I do use my computer at home. As far as keyboards, I do have one where the keys are farther apart from the caps lock key. I'm using the original keyboard that came with this computer.

On 3/11/2016 10:48 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

Tyler Spivey

There's no option for this. Assuming you're using a synth that doesn't
do this itself (eSpeak does, so we'll need another solution then), we
can turn it off in NVDA.

Simple way, turn off all your dictionaries.
Python Console (NVDA+CTRL+z), paste:

import globalVars;globalVars.speechDictionaryProcessing = False

and press enter. It applies until the next NVDA restart.
This is bound to f6 d in the Toggle add-on if you want something faster.
Search Jeff's site for it.

The advanced way, modify builtin.dic
If you need your dictionaries, you'll need to use this one. An update
might overwrite it, so restore it every time you update.
I don't know what happens if you cause an error in this file. Worst
case, NVDA won't start and you'll need to reinstall or restore the file.
No big deal. From a quick glance over the code, looks like it just won't
parse the line and moves on.

Assuming you're using an installed copy of NVDA, adjust this path to
match your program path.
Edit C:\Program Files (x86)\NVDA\builtin.dic in a text editor. Comment
out the lines you don't want with a # at the beginning. Save and restart
NVDA.

On 3/11/2016 9:52 PM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
hi every one.
how can set nvda not sensitive to capital letters?
beginning of words with capital letters does not cause a problem and
in most cases nvda reads the words properly.
but unfortunately when someone write the words with many capital
letters even in the middle and end of the words nvda reads the
sentences and in many cases leter by letter and i could not understand
my skype messages and emails?
what should i do to solve this problem?
thanks and god bless you all.

aah, well if your board is being bad.
1. check the batteries usually if a mouse/board is being bad its because batteries are the issue.
When the main board died,it was the batteries but I gave my brother my old board which got partly broken due to folding and unfolding the wires to put it away.
I got this instead and its remained a fixture, well it was a fixture and he forgot to change the batteries.
Always goes flat when you don't have those in hand.
Next wires go bad or the dongle, its not to bad to get a cheap board.
Ofcause the easiest is to avoid the laptop board all together this means you can use the touch pad without it getting in the way to.

On 12/03/2016 7:52 p.m., Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
[...]

I'm using a desktop computer--not a laptop. I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

On 3/11/2016 11:00 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

Ben J. Bloomgren

The funniest thing for me is when people don't capitalize the letter i when they're talking about themselves. The screen readers, most of them at least, pronounce the i all out of flow and it sounds like undue emphasis. I really don't want NVDA telling its voices not to speak those things that way, as it's a great way to be told when somebody isn't using capitalization properly. I'm weird, and I know it!

Ben

how can set nvda not sensitive to capital letters?
beginning of words with capital letters does not cause a problem and
in most cases nvda reads the words properly.
but unfortunately when someone write the words with many capital
letters even in the middle and end of the words nvda reads the
sentences and in many cases leter by letter and i could not understand
my skype messages and emails?
what should i do to solve this problem?
thanks and god bless you all.

holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.
al-islam.org

---

Well they should not put caps in the middle of words. I'd imagine it should be possible to find some expression to enter into the dictionary of nvda that applies to the synth to more or less stop this, though I have to say I've never tried it as I don't seem to encounter many people putting caps in the middle of words.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

how can set nvda not sensitive to capital letters?
beginning of words with capital letters does not cause a problem and
in most cases nvda reads the words properly.
but unfortunately when someone write the words with many capital
letters even in the middle and end of the words nvda reads the
sentences and in many cases leter by letter and i could not understand
my skype messages and emails?
what should i do to solve this problem?
thanks and god bless you all.

holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.
al-islam.org

Nvda can be set to alert to you accidentally reversing the caps key by having lock on, it gives a piercing bleep sound.
However this does not help the original person as its his mates who are doing it.
[...]

I am one of the offenders. I often have spell check on when I do these emails and it alerts me at the end of capitalisation errors, but the I or i I tend to leave as they are. It very much depends on how you have capital indication on. In Espeak for example there are several things, like bleeps, intonation and say cap. I use intonation, and not too much of it. Of course when Capitals are all over the please such as oN tHIS bIT it affects that actual sound of the words as well, and this is what is heard when others caps are reversed.
[...]

Chris Mullins

One advantage of setting Capslock to be an NVDA modifier key, you have to press it ttwice to engage the capslock function. You could also set the capital pitch change up in the voice dialog so the voice rises when you type a capital letter and setting NVDA to beep if you enter a shifted letter whilst capslock is on soon alerts you.

Cheers
Chris

[...]

Hi Brian
Caps within words is used a lot in programming where it is known as CamelCase, due to the humps.

Cheers
Chris
nal Message-----

how can set nvda not sensitive to capital letters?
beginning of words with capital letters does not cause a problem and
in most cases nvda reads the words properly.
but unfortunately when someone write the words with many capital
letters even in the middle and end of the words nvda reads the
sentences and in many cases leter by letter and i could not understand
my skype messages and emails?
what should i do to solve this problem?
thanks and god bless you all.

holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.
al-islam.org

hi.
i use espeak and i deactivated all options related to spelling.
but i counter many problems when i read such emails and skype messages.
i want to set to behave with capital letters like small letter.
how can i do this?

On 3/12/16, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:
Hi Brian
Caps within words is used a lot in programming where it is known as
CamelCase, due to the humps.

Cheers
Chris
nal Message-----

how can set nvda not sensitive to capital letters?
beginning of words with capital letters does not cause a problem and
in most cases nvda reads the words properly.
but unfortunately when someone write the words with many capital
letters even in the middle and end of the words nvda reads the
sentences and in many cases leter by letter and i could not understand
my skype messages and emails?
what should i do to solve this problem?
thanks and god bless you all.

holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.
al-islam.org

holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.
al-islam.org

Aravind R

reduce capital change percentage to zero in voice settings and check.

On 3/12/16, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:
[...]

r. aravind,

Assistant manager
Department of sales
mobile no: +91 9940369593, 9710945613.
email id : aravind_069@..., aravind.andhrabank@....

Gene

That is for the pitch that is encountered when reading letter by letter or when typing with echo character on.  The problem the person is having is that when a word has capital letters in the middle of the word, it is not read as though it were a typical word.  I have not seen any setting that affects this and I don't know if it has anything to do with NVDA or if it is the synthesizer itself that causes this behavior.
To illustrate, I capitalized the G and I in the word "original" that immediately follows this message.  When I do this, or is read then G I is spoken as if it were a word, then the rest of the word is spoken.  This spelling of capital letters makes reading almost impossible because words become unrecognizable or almost so.
This is completely unrelated to any settings I am aware of in NVDA.

This may be an NVDA behavior because I tried reading the word with three different synthesizers and got similar results.

Gene
reduce capital change percentage to zero in voice settings and check.

On 3/12/16, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:
> hi.
> i use espeak and i deactivated all options related to spelling.
> but i counter many problems when i read such emails and skype messages.
> i want to set to behave with capital letters like small letter.
> how can i do this?
>
> On 3/12/16, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:
>> Hi Brian
>> Caps within words is used a lot in programming where it is known as
>> CamelCase, due to the humps.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Chris
>> nal Message-----

I tried with narrator, using the same sapi voice as in nvda nd it says the word without that 'problem'.
So it is nvda that does it. The thing is, in most cases, it is proper - mostly met, I guess, in programming and trademarks.
So apart from using narrator (i don't know what does jaws do, didn't wan't to restart my computer right now.), or finding an hidden option or some simple command for python console, I don't believe there is any simple solution... maybe he should learn programming to write an add-on that lowercases everything before it goes to other processing... :)

-- Patrick

Le 12/03/2016 15:31, Gene a écrit :
[...]

There a couple of checkboxes in the voice dialogue that I've never experimented withUse spelling functionality if supported, andone other which is something to do with trusting something. I suspect that the way data is being sent to the synth can be controlled somehow, so that case is never reported at all.
This may well be what Narator is doing. If so then it might be worth asking about this on the dev list as I'd not know about the low level handing of this sort of data.