Error in Firefox

Whenever I open Firefox I hear NVDA say Unknown.

At this point I’m unable to tab or do anything in the browser other than get into menus.

This only happens in Firefox. Chrome and Edge work fine.

I’m running NVDA 2020.4 and Windows 10 21H1 (64-bit) build 19043.899

An NVDA error log is below, but not sure what to make of it as I’m not a developer.

displayText: exception: cannot unpack non-iterable NoneType object

IAccessibleObject: <POINTER(IAccessible) ptr=0x73947c8 at a584cb0>

IAccessibleChildID: -16777238

IAccessible event parameters: windowHandle=919304, objectID=-4, childID=-16777238

IAccessible accName: exception: (-2147024809, 'The parameter is incorrect.', (None, None, None, 0, None))

IAccessible accRole: exception: (-2147024809, 'The parameter is incorrect.', (None, None, None, 0, None))

IAccessible accState: exception: (-2147024809, 'The parameter is incorrect.', (None, None, None, 0, None))

IAccessible accDescription: exception: (-2147024809, 'The parameter is incorrect.', (None, None, None, 0, None))

IAccessible accValue: exception: (-2147024809, 'The parameter is incorrect.', (None, None, None, 0, None))

Casey Mathews

Luke Davis

Solution number one when things are reading as "unknown", is to try running the COM Registration Fixing Tool in the NVDA Tools menu.
NVDA+n, t, r, enter, enter, deal with the UAC, enter.

If that doesn't work, reboot your machine, and run it again.

Luke

Casey Mathews wrote:

Whenever I open Firefox I hear NVDA say Unknown.
At this point I’m unable to tab or do anything in the browser other than get into menus.
This only happens in Firefox. Chrome and Edge work fine.

Gene

At first, I though the problem was that the setting to not work with accessibility had been turned on. But my recollection is that if that is done, you won't even see the menus.

If you have sighted help available, they can check the setting to be sure and allow accessibility if it isn't now. But I doubt that is the problem.

[...]

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

I have not had to do this for a while as when you have troubles with the browser and this sounds like the same I had a few years back but resetting the browser fixed the problem in those cases. This was both in fire fox and recently in google browser it would speak stuff only if I tabbed but no browse mode etc and in the case of fire fox you could not interact with the browser apart from the menus.

the following page if you do go down this track can be fund at https://malwaretips.com/blogs/reset-firefox-settings/

try some of the other steps from other people and also try another copy of nvda if you have it on a portable to see if the same problem happens and if it does I am guessing the browser is the problem but if it works well with the portable on fire fox then have to look closer at nvda.

As suggested also use the comm tool in nvda and see if that fixes the problem. it is all ways after doing that shut down the pc completely not sleep mode then start up the pc.

if it was saying that in all the browsers and also down on the running application area there might be another way but it sounds like it is not this other problem.

Gene nz

On 14/04/2021 12:36 pm, Casey Mathews wrote:

[...]

Thanks, that didn’t work.

I even tried reinstalling it. I also tried the com fixing tool, restarted and tried again. Nothing.

Casey Mathews

WebFriendlyHelp.com: Makin’ your tech life easy!

[...]

Which did you try re installing the copy of nvda or the browser?

So the resetting of the browser did not work?

Did you try the portable copy of nvda to see if it works correctly with the browser some times it is better to grab a new copy of nvda  then try it as a temp copy to see if you get the same results. If it works correctly in the browser, then I would do a reset of nvda. But when you do that make sure that you turn it off then back on and get the message you get when you first install nvda.

There is a setting in the nvda menu that will set it back to factory defaults.

Gene nz

On 14/04/2021 2:50 pm, Casey Mathews wrote:

[...]

I tried reinstalling firefox. I also tried running a temp copy of NVDA. I also reinstalled NVDA.

None worked.

I tried with Narrator and that will not even let me browse, so I think this must be some kind of system file issue.

I ran file check and dism no errors.

I’m trying windows restore.

[...]

Do you mean system restore?

Gene

On 4/13/2021 10:28 PM, Casey Mathews wrote:

[...]

Well, System Restore worked.

I sure wish I knew what caused the problem in the first place?

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

[...]

Jackie

Casey, this sometimes happens when the default user profile gets corrupted.

On 4/13/21, Casey Mathews <csm120@outlook.com> wrote:
Well, System Restore worked.
I sure wish I knew what caused the problem in the first place?
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Casey Mathews<https://webfriendlyhelp.com/about>
WebFriendlyHelp.com<https://webfriendlyhelp.com/>: Makin’ your tech life
easy!

I tried reinstalling firefox. I also tried running a temp copy of NVDA. I
also reinstalled NVDA.
None worked.
I tried with Narrator and that will not even let me browse, so I think this
must be some kind of system file issue.
I ran file check and dism no errors.
I’m trying windows restore.

Casey
Mathews<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwebfriendlyhelp.com%2Fabout&data=04%7C01%7C%7Cb79b24c18e744d19f5d608d8fef55df2%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637539677077649101%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=b3qyDvRJfzoGTDLEHy5Okv%2BuVTK%2FTsjh1syUiB758JQ%3D&reserved=0>
WebFriendlyHelp.com<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwebfriendlyhelp.com%2F&data=04%7C01%7C%7Cb79b24c18e744d19f5d608d8fef55df2%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637539677077659099%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=%2FbD0WbGiMtAQupctT8PWbEH%2FaHHjMcGhEqv5wg505EA%3D&reserved=0>:
Makin’ your tech life easy!

[...]

Mathews<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwebfriendlyhelp.com%2Fabout&data=04%7C01%7C%7Cb79b24c18e744d19f5d608d8fef55df2%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637539677077669090%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=eX3znyii8MPXlgSrnCh9FMDJi%2FlVn%2BzTqc2XmcvLPRE%3D&reserved=0>
WebFriendlyHelp.com<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwebfriendlyhelp.com%2F&data=04%7C01%7C%7Cb79b24c18e744d19f5d608d8fef55df2%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637539677077669090%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=nTV42ftSJI1IJsrplR8dNjc6EBPI9GcoSHZlXQbbNpM%3D&reserved=0>:
Makin’ your tech life easy!

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/reset-firefox-settings/<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmalwaretips.com%2Fblogs%2Freset-firefox-settings%2F&data=04%7C01%7C%7Cb79b24c18e744d19f5d608d8fef55df2%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637539677077679085%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=I9h5Usmbj%2F94CCeIlo4JLkzvOgavSghTGJfpqfpf4mI%3D&reserved=0>

[...]

Mathews<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwebfriendlyhelp.com%2Fabout&data=04%7C01%7C%7Cb79b24c18e744d19f5d608d8fef55df2%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637539677077689082%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=qaXXCUO8JsSfw7SLvh8HGpBP5O5erIVb2AFQ7Z5Pf7g%3D&reserved=0>

Uninstalling office causes such a problem but in this case, the registry fixing tool couldn't solve it. Since the problem uninstalling Office causes is unregistered dll files, when you ran system restore, it may have corrected the problem by reverting the registry and now everything is registered. If the problem was something else caused by the uninstallation, System Restore corrected it. You said there was a missing dll file. System Restore would replace it if you ran a restore point from before it was missing.