error tones playing when NVDA is loading

Dan Beaver

I am running Windows 10 latest update and NVDA latest Beta version.

When NVDA loads I am hearing a 2 tone sound like to piano keys being struck so that it goes from high to low.

I have looked in the log and am seeing some errors but when I disable the plug-ins that seem to be associated with the errors the tones still play.

Any idea what this might be and what I should do next?

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Probably nothing.  The Beta versions play error tones for "non-critical" errors.  I've never used a beta where I don't get error tones on many occasions when, from a functional perspective, nothing is going wrong.

If you look at the detailed logs for most software there are rafts of non-critical errors.  And NVDA release candidates and released versions do not report these via those tones while the testing versions do.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Dan Beaver

Well, I guess that would explain it.  this is the first time I have taken the plunge and used a beta/RC version.  That would be why I haven't heard them before. :)

Dan Beaver

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 10:46 AM, Dan Beaver wrote:
this is the first time I have taken the plunge and used a beta/RC version.
-
Just to be clear, I think the RC versions have the non-critical error tones turned OFF just like the actual released software does.  It's only alpha/beta versions that present these.

And we're all new to everything we've ever done once.  It's a perfectly logical concern that if you're hearing error tones to believe that critical errors may be occurring.  But most of the time they are not if you are not experiencing any issue in how the software is behaving.  You just get used to ignoring these in the betas until or unless something "blows up" right after you hear one.  Then you start NVDA again with debug logging enabled, try to blow it up again, and if you can create an issue report with the logging information on GitHub for the NVDA developers.  That doesn't happen all that often.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Chris

I think you can now turn them off under nvda advanced settings

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 01:06 PM, Chris wrote:
I think you can now turn them off under nvda advanced settings
-
I don't see anything there that controls this.   If there is somewhere that the end user could turn these off, that would be good to know.

But, and it's an important but, because the betas don't ship with the error tones turned off, it's important that those who do choose to try out a beta "don't freak" every time they hear an error tone played, because they almost certainly will even before you'd have any chance to turn off this feature if that's possible.

For those who use beta versions regularly, we just get used to paying attention to how NVDA is behaving rather than giving those tones much credence.  For myself, I'd leave them on just to remind myself that I am using a beta and to update to release once it hits.  To each his or her own.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

cisco

Hello there,

I believe it’s only for stable versions from 2021.3 that this feature will be available

Do correct me if I’m wrong in any way.

Best regards.

Francisco.

[...]

It looks like its to turn them on in stable versions only

Doesnt look like you can turn them off in test versions