eSpeak Speech Player

Chris Smart

Hi.

what ever happened to the eSpeak Speech Player? I always found it a little easier to understand than the stock eSpeak NG.

For that matter, what coding knowledge and experience would someone require if they wanted to try to fiddle with the sound of eSpeak, come up with a modified English variant etc.?

Thanks

chris

Josh Kennedy

Last time I tried the speech player in eSpeak addon it did not work with NVDA 2020.4. As far as coding knowledge to make a new eSpeak variant? For starters just open variant files in notePad and look at what is written. Its really a matter of just playing around with some of the numbers in there. Now to make eSpeak have a different speaking style you just make new intonations statements. I will help by first pasting some intonation tunes statements examples followed by the contents of a espeak variants file. But to apply the new intonations they first have to be compiled, at least they did in the sapi5 eSpeak versions. As far as changing how speech player or klatt voices sound? I have no clue where to go in order to modify that voice data. so here you go, the examples are below.

tune s5
prehead   70 70
headenv   fall 20
head       70 60 70 55 50