Excel 365: How to use autofill to make list of dates

Daniel Gartmann <dgartmann@...>

Hi,

I am trying to generate a list of work days using the Auto-fill feature under the Home tab, but I can’t figure out how to do this with NVDA / the keyboard.

Has anybody done this?

There are many instructions online about how to do this with the mouse, but I haven't been able to locate one for screen reader / keyboard users.

I am on NVDA 2021.2 beta 1 under Windows10 and Office 365.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

This question is really about Excel and the answer is almost certain to be screen reader agnostic.  I'd suggest you consider joining the Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group

Archive:  https://groups.io/g/office-accessibility/topics

Subscribe: office-accessibility+subscribe@groups.io

Post: office-accessibility@groups.io

Group Owner: office-accessibility+owner@groups.io

Help: office-accessibility+help@groups.io

The owner of that group is an Excel expert and there's frequent traffic about using Excel in particular, but other Office suite programs as well.

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chris Mullins

Hi Daniel

Put the cursor in the cell below the cell you want to replicate down the column and press Control+d, then select the cells down the column to the last cell you want to fill and press Control+d again.

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 02:04 PM, Chris Mullins wrote:
Put the cursor in the cell below the cell you want to replicate down the column and press Control+d,
-
But the initial query is not about replication, but auto-filling.  When I attempt to follow your instructions the CTRL + D results in the single cell above being duplicated in the present cell, but I cannot use the keyboard and down arrow to the last row in which I'd like the cell duplicated and have all in between be filled.

I will repeat, though, that these questions and answers have nothing whatsoever to do with NVDA.  This is really an office accessibility question that's utterly divorced from the screen reader being used.

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Shaun Oliver

does that same keystroke work if you wish to autofill across cells as well?

On 27/08/2021 3:34 am, Chris Mullins rambled on about the following:

Hi Daniel

Put the cursor in the cell below the cell you want to replicate down the column and press Control+d, then select the cells down the column to the last cell you want to fill and press Control+d again.

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

I am trying to generate a list of work days using the Auto-fill feature under the Home tab, but I can’t figure out how to do this with NVDA / the keyboard.

Has anybody done this?

There are many instructions online about how to do this with the mouse, but I haven't been able to locate one for screen reader / keyboard users.

I am on NVDA 2021.2 beta 1 under Windows10 and Office 365.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Chris Mullins

Hi Brian

Type a date in cell a1, enter the formula “=A1+1” in cell a2, put cursor in cell a3 and press Control+d.  Hold down the shift key and use the down arrow to highlight all the cells you want to fill, then press Control+d again.

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 02:04 PM, Chris Mullins wrote:

Put the cursor in the cell below the cell you want to replicate down the column and press Control+d,

-
But the initial query is not about replication, but auto-filling.  When I attempt to follow your instructions the CTRL + D results in the single cell above being duplicated in the present cell, but I cannot use the keyboard and down arrow to the last row in which I'd like the cell duplicated and have all in between be filled.

I will repeat, though, that these questions and answers have nothing whatsoever to do with NVDA.  This is really an office accessibility question that's utterly divorced from the screen reader being used.

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chris Mullins

Hi

No but maybe there is another keystroke that does, after all it has to use the cell to the left rather than above, so a distinction has to be made.  If there is such a keystroke, I don’t know what it is.

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

I am trying to generate a list of work days using the Auto-fill feature under the Home tab, but I can’t figure out how to do this with NVDA / the keyboard.

Has anybody done this?

There are many instructions online about how to do this with the mouse, but I haven't been able to locate one for screen reader / keyboard users.

I am on NVDA 2021.2 beta 1 under Windows10 and Office 365.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Ann Byrne

The selection tells Excel whether you are filling in a row or a column. If you select a1:a7, it's a column; if you select a1:g1, it's a row.

Sent from <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>Mail for Windows

I am trying to generate a list of work days using the Auto-fill feature under the Home tab, but I can’t figure out how to do this with NVDA / the keyboard.

Has anybody done this?

There are many instructions online about how to do this with the mouse, but I haven't been able to locate one for screen reader / keyboard users.

I am on NVDA 2021.2 beta 1 under Windows10 and Office 365.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Louise Pfau

This message was sent in duplicate.