Topics

Excel and VBa 2010 Questions

Pele West
 

Hi Everyone

I am using Windows 7, Excel 2010 and am learning NVDA. I am a long-time
user of Window-Eyes and realise I will have to get out of the habit of
using it soon. I have the following questions:

1. What is the trick in NVDA to go to a specific worksheet in a workbook?
I have a workbook containing nearly 150 worksheets and would like to
activate a sheet using its name. I can press <NVDA+F7> to bring up the
elements list and can see Worksheets, but it does not show me a list of
sheets.

2. Is there a way to stop VBA 2010 missing out lines in my code? I seem
to be able to find the line I want and then it disappears.

3. Recently Excel 2010 has been acting very strangely. If I am looking
at a worksheet or VBA macro and switch to another program it does not
appear to access it although the title bar says it has focus. The only
way I can resolve the situation is to close everything down.Can anyone
advise?

Thanks

pele West

Cearbhall O'Meadhra
 

Hi Pele,

My answers are indicated with the letter "A:" following your original
questions.

1. What is the trick in NVDA to go to a specific worksheet in a workbook?
I have a workbook containing nearly 150 worksheets and would like to
activate a sheet using its name. I can press <NVDA+F7> to bring up the
elements list and can see Worksheets, but it does not show me a list of
sheets.
A: Tab twice after you see 2Worksheets" and you will have all the sheets
listed there. Press the first letter of the desired worksheet if you know
its name.


2. Is there a way to stop VBA 2010 missing out lines in my code? I seem to
be able to find the line I want and then it disappears.
A: "Disappears"?
2.1. Have you maximised the screen?
2.2. Have you more than one module in the VBA editor? Try pressing
control+tab to see if the code comes back.
3. Try using NVDA+control +F to search the VBA script and see if your code
is thee.
2.4. Test to see if all your code is present by pressing control+shift+end
from the top of the document and copy the highlighted text to Notepad++ and
see if the text is actually present.

3. Recently Excel 2010 has been acting very strangely. If I am looking at a
worksheet or VBA macro and switch to another program it does not appear to
access it although the title bar says it has focus. The only way I can
resolve the situation is to close everything down.Can anyone advise?
A: I'm not sure what you mean here. Is it that the other program cannot be
accessed or that you cannot return to the Excel screen? Could yo clarify
your meaning here?
3.1. Try maximising the Excel screen when you return to it.
3.2. Press the left alt key twice to refresh the NVDA focus and see if that
brings up the details of the screen.


All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

 

Its worth noting though probably not helpfull that you really should upgrade to something which is not 2010.

Somewhere where, I forget, office 2010 support is supposed to end soon.

On 14/01/2020 10:04 am, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:
Hi Pele,

My answers are indicated with the letter "A:" following your original
questions.

1. What is the trick in NVDA to go to a specific worksheet in a workbook?
I have a workbook containing nearly 150 worksheets and would like to
activate a sheet using its name. I can press <NVDA+F7> to bring up the
elements list and can see Worksheets, but it does not show me a list of
sheets.
A: Tab twice after you see 2Worksheets" and you will have all the sheets
listed there. Press the first letter of the desired worksheet if you know
its name.


2. Is there a way to stop VBA 2010 missing out lines in my code? I seem to
be able to find the line I want and then it disappears.
A: "Disappears"?
2.1. Have you maximised the screen?
2.2. Have you more than one module in the VBA editor? Try pressing
control+tab to see if the code comes back.
3. Try using NVDA+control +F to search the VBA script and see if your code
is thee.
2.4. Test to see if all your code is present by pressing control+shift+end
from the top of the document and copy the highlighted text to Notepad++ and
see if the text is actually present.

3. Recently Excel 2010 has been acting very strangely. If I am looking at a
worksheet or VBA macro and switch to another program it does not appear to
access it although the title bar says it has focus. The only way I can
resolve the situation is to close everything down.Can anyone advise?
A: I'm not sure what you mean here. Is it that the other program cannot be
accessed or that you cannot return to the Excel screen? Could yo clarify
your meaning here?
3.1. Try maximising the Excel screen when you return to it.
3.2. Press the left alt key twice to refresh the NVDA focus and see if that
brings up the details of the screen.


All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...






Pele West
 

Hi Shaun

Thanks. Do later versions of Office still include VBA?

Pele

Pele West
 

Hi Cearbhall

Thank you so much for writing.

1. After I wrote my message I reloaded NVDA and the list of sheets appeared.

2. I do have the screen maximised. I know the code is there because I
can see it when I use Window-Eyes. The disappearing code seems to hapenn
whether or not I have 1 or lots of modules loaded.

3. This is an intermittent problem. If I launch Excel from Windows
Explorer, Excel opens in the selected workbook, then I am not able to
change focus to Windows Explorer, even though, when I press <Alt Tab>
NVDA says it has changed to Windows Explorer. NVDA also makes the sound
which means something is wrong.
I suspect this is a MicroSoft rather than an NVDA problem. I just
included it as I was asking my other questions.

I am upgrading to Windows 10 shortly and will not be able to resort to
my trusty Window-Eyes any more.

Pele

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 21:04:53 -0000
"Cearbhall O'Meadhra" <cearbhall.omeadhra@...> wrote:

Hi Pele,

My answers are indicated with the letter "A:" following your original
questions.

1. What is the trick in NVDA to go to a specific worksheet in a workbook?
I have a workbook containing nearly 150 worksheets and would like to
activate a sheet using its name. I can press <NVDA+F7> to bring up the
elements list and can see Worksheets, but it does not show me a list of
sheets.
A: Tab twice after you see 2Worksheets" and you will have all the sheets
listed there. Press the first letter of the desired worksheet if you know
its name.


2. Is there a way to stop VBA 2010 missing out lines in my code? I seem to
be able to find the line I want and then it disappears.
A: "Disappears"?
2.1. Have you maximised the screen?
2.2. Have you more than one module in the VBA editor? Try pressing
control+tab to see if the code comes back.
3. Try using NVDA+control +F to search the VBA script and see if your code
is thee.
2.4. Test to see if all your code is present by pressing control+shift+end
from the top of the document and copy the highlighted text to Notepad++ and
see if the text is actually present.

3. Recently Excel 2010 has been acting very strangely. If I am looking at a
worksheet or VBA macro and switch to another program it does not appear to
access it although the title bar says it has focus. The only way I can
resolve the situation is to close everything down.Can anyone advise?
A: I'm not sure what you mean here. Is it that the other program cannot be
accessed or that you cannot return to the Excel screen? Could yo clarify
your meaning here?
3.1. Try maximising the Excel screen when you return to it.
3.2. Press the left alt key twice to refresh the NVDA focus and see if that
brings up the details of the screen.


All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...






Cearbhall O'Meadhra
 

Pele,

I'm sorry, I should have asked for versions of the software you are using.
In case there is a problem with versions.
1. Are you using a PC, Laptop or MAX?
2. What version of windows?
3. What version of NVDA?
4. What version of Office?

With regard to the disappearing VBA code, what happens if you press
control+tab? This should switch between open modules of code.
What keystrokes do you use that show that there is code there and what do
you do that tells you the code has disappeared?

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Pele West
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 9:38 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Excel and VBa 2010 Questions

Hi Cearbhall

Thank you so much for writing.

1. After I wrote my message I reloaded NVDA and the list of sheets appeared.

2. I do have the screen maximised. I know the code is there because I can
see it when I use Window-Eyes. The disappearing code seems to hapenn whether
or not I have 1 or lots of modules loaded.

3. This is an intermittent problem. If I launch Excel from Windows Explorer,
Excel opens in the selected workbook, then I am not able to change focus to
Windows Explorer, even though, when I press <Alt Tab> NVDA says it has
changed to Windows Explorer. NVDA also makes the sound which means something
is wrong.
I suspect this is a MicroSoft rather than an NVDA problem. I just included
it as I was asking my other questions.

I am upgrading to Windows 10 shortly and will not be able to resort to my
trusty Window-Eyes any more.

Pele

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 21:04:53 -0000
"Cearbhall O'Meadhra" <cearbhall.omeadhra@...> wrote:

Hi Pele,

My answers are indicated with the letter "A:" following your original
questions.

1. What is the trick in NVDA to go to a specific worksheet in a workbook?
I have a workbook containing nearly 150 worksheets and would like to
activate a sheet using its name. I can press <NVDA+F7> to bring up the
elements list and can see Worksheets, but it does not show me a list
of sheets.
A: Tab twice after you see 2Worksheets" and you will have all the
sheets listed there. Press the first letter of the desired worksheet
if you know its name.


2. Is there a way to stop VBA 2010 missing out lines in my code? I
seem to be able to find the line I want and then it disappears.
A: "Disappears"?
2.1. Have you maximised the screen?
2.2. Have you more than one module in the VBA editor? Try pressing
control+tab to see if the code comes back.
3. Try using NVDA+control +F to search the VBA script and see if your
code is thee.
2.4. Test to see if all your code is present by pressing
control+shift+end from the top of the document and copy the
highlighted text to Notepad++ and see if the text is actually present.

3. Recently Excel 2010 has been acting very strangely. If I am looking
at a worksheet or VBA macro and switch to another program it does not
appear to access it although the title bar says it has focus. The only
way I can resolve the situation is to close everything down.Can anyone
advise?
A: I'm not sure what you mean here. Is it that the other program
cannot be accessed or that you cannot return to the Excel screen?
Could yo clarify your meaning here?
3.1. Try maximising the Excel screen when you return to it.
3.2. Press the left alt key twice to refresh the NVDA focus and see if
that brings up the details of the screen.


All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e:
cearbhall.omeadhra@...






Pele West
 

Hi Again

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

1. I am using a Dell desktop PC.

2. I am running Windows 7.

3. I am running the beta version of NVDA 2019.3.

4. I am using MSoffice 2010.

Pressing <Control Tab> to switch between modules sometimes works.

If I press <Control-F> to find the code and then arrow up and down it is
not always visible, although it is there, as I have just found it with
<Control-F>.

I wonder if this is a highlighting issue.

I have another NVDA Excel question: is there a way to stop NVDA speaking
and displaying messages like "Cropped" and "Overflow"?

Pele

Chris Mullins
 

Hi Pele
I use Excel 2007 under Windows 10 and I get the same issue regarding
editing VBA macro code. NVDA totally loses track and I usually end up
copying the whole module into Notepad, coding there, then replacing
the module code an debugging. It's a long standing issue which I've
posted on the list in the past bbut the issue has not been replicated
by other list members, so nothing has ever been done about it. Your
post is the first time i've seen anything on the list regarding this
issue other than my own posts. Sorry I can't offer a solution.

Cheers
Chris

On 14/01/2020, Pele West <pele.westlists@...> wrote:
Hi Again

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

1. I am using a Dell desktop PC.

2. I am running Windows 7.

3. I am running the beta version of NVDA 2019.3.

4. I am using MSoffice 2010.

Pressing <Control Tab> to switch between modules sometimes works.

If I press <Control-F> to find the code and then arrow up and down it is
not always visible, although it is there, as I have just found it with
<Control-F>.

I wonder if this is a highlighting issue.

I have another NVDA Excel question: is there a way to stop NVDA speaking
and displaying messages like "Cropped" and "Overflow"?

Pele




Cearbhall O'Meadhra
 

Chris and Pele,

I am using Office 2016 on windows 10 and I never have this problem. Perhaps it’s a version issue after all?


All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Mullins
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 8:08 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Excel and VBa 2010 Questions

Hi Pele
I use Excel 2007 under Windows 10 and I get the same issue regarding editing VBA macro code. NVDA totally loses track and I usually end up copying the whole module into Notepad, coding there, then replacing the module code an debugging. It's a long standing issue which I've posted on the list in the past bbut the issue has not been replicated by other list members, so nothing has ever been done about it. Your post is the first time i've seen anything on the list regarding this issue other than my own posts. Sorry I can't offer a solution.

Cheers
Chris


On 14/01/2020, Pele West <pele.westlists@...> wrote:
Hi Again

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

1. I am using a Dell desktop PC.

2. I am running Windows 7.

3. I am running the beta version of NVDA 2019.3.

4. I am using MSoffice 2010.

Pressing <Control Tab> to switch between modules sometimes works.

If I press <Control-F> to find the code and then arrow up and down it
is not always visible, although it is there, as I have just found it
with <Control-F>.

I wonder if this is a highlighting issue.

I have another NVDA Excel question: is there a way to stop NVDA
speaking and displaying messages like "Cropped" and "Overflow"?

Pele




 

Hmmm, yes, its not like I have heard microsoft saying otherwise.

Vba is how they make macros so if you look about as I say, then they probably do but I have never used vba in my life.

On 14/01/2020 10:27 pm, Pele West wrote:
Hi Shaun

Thanks. Do later versions of Office still include VBA?

Pele



.

Pele West
 

Hi chris

Thanks for writing and confirming that I am not going mad.

JAWS and Window-Eyes do not seem to have this problem with VBA code.

I really don't want to have to copy the code to Notepad unless I have to.

Pele