From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Pranav Lal
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 05:08
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Excel: detecting shading on cells

Hi,

Can NVDA be set to report changes to excel cell color shading?

I have several colleagues and clients who change the shading of a cell so,
for example, red means that those rows should be deleted and blue means
they should be added.

I need nvda to report if these colors have been changed. I did try the color
reporting function with nvda key + f without success.
Pranav

It could also matter what versions of NVDA, Excel, and even, possibly, Windows are in the mix.

Knowing what version(s) of NVDA and Excel are in use would be a very good set of data points to have.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 08:08 AM, Pranav Lal wrote:
nvda key + f
-
As a side note, the NVDA User Guide describes this command as reporting text formatting.

Text formatting, including text color, is a completely separate thing from cell shading.  I don't, off the top of my head, know how/if NVDA can be asked to give you cell shading information without actually going into the cell shading dialogs in Excel.

If your colleagues are using cell shading, as opposed to text color, you might want to inquire as to whether they could just use text color instead.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Pranav Lal

Hi Brian,

The version of nvda is 2021.1. The version of excel is Microsoft excel for Microsoft 365 version 16.0.1380 32bit

This is a work laptop

Running windows 10

Pranav

It could also matter what versions of NVDA, Excel, and even, possibly, Windows are in the mix.

Knowing what version(s) of NVDA and Excel are in use would be a very good set of data points to have.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Pranav Lal

Hi Brian,

<snip If your colleagues are using cell shading, as opposed to text color, you might want to inquire as to whether they could just use text color instead.
PL] May be for some of them but it is one of those things that people have a habit of doing. Jaws detects shading just fine so I use jaws in a pinch but I would prefer not to switch screen readers in the middle of work.

Pranav