Topics

excel problem

Gary Metzler

Hi All,

I am using the latest windows 10 and nvda.  I am using excel 2016. 

I created a spreadsheet to track my blood pressure but when I go to enter a number nvda speaks a prior number.  Is there a setting I need to change?  Also I have nvda set to announce headers but, it doesn’t do it.  Thanks for any help.

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

When you say it speaks a prior number is this the number from the previous cell or the top of the column or row?

Jesus says, follow me and I'll help you through the rough spots.

the world says, hey come with me. My way is broad and easy. So what if you get crap on your shoes. You can always wash it off, can't you!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Monday, September 9, 2019 10:21 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] excel problem

Hi All,

I created a spreadsheet to track my blood pressure but when I go to enter a number nvda speaks a prior number.  Is there a setting I need to change?  Also I have nvda set to announce headers but, it doesn’t do it.  Thanks for any help.

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi, Larry,

Id like to try to help.

Can you give us a real example and try to give a more complete description of the Excel  table?

Here are some questions to get started:

1. Have you told NVDA which row or column is to be the header row?
  2. Exactly what number does Excel speak when you go to edit a new cell?
  3. Is the spoken number in the adjacent cell or somewhere else in the table?

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gary Metzler
Sent: Monday, September 9, 2019 5:21 PM

Hi All,

Gary Metzler

Here are the names of the cell headers:

Date systolic diastolic pulse

I told nvda that the date field was the header field.

When I go to todays date and I arrow to the next cell I hear the number 139 which was a prior cell content.  Also when I enter the new data it says it along with the ghost data.  I hope this helps.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cearbhall O'Meadhra
Sent: Monday, September 9, 2019 2:02 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] excel problem

Hi, Larry,

Id like to try to help.

Can you give us a real example and try to give a more complete description of the Excel  table?

All the best,

Cearbhall

Hi All,

Gary Metzler

Hi All,

For added information I tried turning off all addins with the same results.

Sent: Monday, September 9, 2019 12:21 PM

Hi All,

Gary Metzler

Hi Robert,

It’s from a prior cell.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Doc Wright godfearer
Sent: Monday, September 9, 2019 1:58 PM

When you say it speaks a prior number is this the number from the previous cell or the top of the column or row?

the world says, hey come with me. My way is broad and easy. So what if you get crap on your shoes. You can always wash it off, can't you!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hi All,

One more question. When you arrow up or down or right or left to an empty cell does it still say a number?

It sounds like your headers are working. Check to make sure that when you turned headers on that you were on the row that had your column titles and not your first entry.

Sent: Monday, September 9, 2019 1:10 PM

Hi Robert,

It’s from a prior cell.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Doc Wright godfearer

Hi All,

stancil tootle

How do you check your pressure without seeing please?

On Sep 9, 2019, at 12:20 PM, Gary Metzler <gmtravel@...> wrote:

Hi All,

Gary Metzler

I have a talking bp meter.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of stancil tootle
Sent: Monday, September 9, 2019 4:05 PM

Hi All,

There are a number of talking blood pressure meters. Check at Walgreens.

Sent: Monday, September 9, 2019 2:05 PM

Hi All,

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Garry,

Good! Now we know that you have assigned the top row to be the column headers! Just to confirm that I have that right, can you say what keystrokes you used to tell NVDA that the Date row was the header row?

This ghost citing of a previous number sounds like a misplaced header reference, that is why I want to know the exact key sequence you used to define the header and I also need you to confirm the row number which you used to make the definition.

After that, we need to check the Row header process. Row headers are defined by any vertical column which you choose to identify for that purpose. You would hear the results of your selection when you arrow up or down on the worksheet.

There is no way that NVDA can remember a previous cell and repeat it to you unless something has been changed.

Would you check your document settings in NVDA (NVDA+control+d) and see if anything looks odd to you and report back what you find?

You say that you hear the content of a previous cell when you arrow. Is that when you arrow up or down? Or, is it when you arrow left or right?

It would be a help if you could use column and row references to clarify your examples so that we can picture the relationship between the cells that you are referring to.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Sent: Monday, September 9, 2019 7:31 PM

When I go to todays date and I arrow to the next cell I hear the number 139 which was a prior cell content.  Also when I enter the new data it says it along with the ghost data.  I hope this helps.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi, Larry,

Id like to try to help.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Hi All,

Jackie

You may wish to go into your options menu & uncheck the "enable live
preview" option. I found this dramatically solved my problems w/Excel.
I also unchecked the "show minitoolbar on selection".

On 9/9/19, Cearbhall O'Meadhra <cearbhall.omeadhra@...> wrote:
Garry,

Good! Now we know that you have assigned the top row to be the column
headers! Just to confirm that I have that right, can you say what
keystrokes
you used to tell NVDA that the Date row was the header row?

This ghost citing of a previous number sounds like a misplaced header
reference, that is why I want to know the exact key sequence you used to
define the header and I also need you to confirm the row number which you
used to make the definition.

After that, we need to check the Row header process. Row headers are
defined
by any vertical column which you choose to identify for that purpose. You
would hear the results of your selection when you arrow up or down on the
worksheet.

There is no way that NVDA can remember a previous cell and repeat it to you
unless something has been changed.

Would you check your document settings in NVDA (NVDA+control+d) and see if
anything looks odd to you and report back what you find?

You say that you hear the content of a previous cell when you arrow. Is
that
when you arrow up or down? Or, is it when you arrow left or right?

It would be a help if you could use column and row references to clarify
your examples so that we can picture the relationship between the cells
that
you are referring to.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Sent: Monday, September 9, 2019 7:31 PM

When I go to todays date and I arrow to the next cell I hear the number 139
which was a prior cell content. Also when I enter the new data it says it
along with the ghost data. I hope this helps.

<nvda@nvda.groups.io
<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> > On Behalf Of Cearbhall O'Meadhra
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

Hi, Larry,

I'd like to try to help.

Can you give us a real example and try to give a more complete description
of the Excel table?

3. Is the spoken number in the adjacent cell or somewhere else in the
table?

All the best,

Cearbhall

<mailto:cearbhall.omeadhra@...>

<nvda@nvda.groups.io
<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> > On Behalf Of Gary Metzler
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

Hi All,

I am using the latest windows 10 and nvda. I am using excel 2016.

I created a spreadsheet to track my blood pressure but when I go to enter a
number nvda speaks a prior number. Is there a setting I need to change?
Also I have nvda set to announce headers but, it doesn't do it. Thanks for
any help.

--
Subscribe to a WordPress for Newbies Mailing List by sending a message to:
wp4newbs-request@... with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by
visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs
& check out my sites at www.brighter-vision.com & www.mysitesbeenhacked.com

Sarah k Alawami

Did the headers thign work? I might be learningn xcel for math or what not and want to know in case I run into the issue.

Take care

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go here.
and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 9 Sep 2019, at 13:43, Robert Doc Wright godfearer wrote:

Hi All,

To be honest I usually use Jaws for Excel.

Sent: Monday, September 9, 2019 4:00 PM

Did the headers thign work? I might be learningn xcel for math or what not and want to know in case I run into the issue.

Take care

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go here.
and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 9 Sep 2019, at 13:43, Robert Doc Wright godfearer wrote:

Hi All,

Gary Metzler

Hi Robert,

Yes, when I enter a date and arrow to the right I hear 139 When I was on the date field in cell a1 I hit the nvda shift c key I hope this helps.

Sent: Monday, September 9, 2019 3:45 PM

One more question. When you arrow up or down or right or left to an empty cell does it still say a number?

It sounds like your headers are working. Check to make sure that when you turned headers on that you were on the row that had your column titles and not your first entry.

Sent: Monday, September 9, 2019 1:10 PM

Hi Robert,

It’s from a prior cell.

Hi All,

From what I've seen so far I suspect one of two things is at play:

1.  The actual header row and/or column is not defined where you think it is.

2.  You're using the NVDA feature to try to set this up in NVDA itself rather than the Excel feature to set it up in the worksheet.  If you did the latter, you'd still have to turn on the screen reader feature to interact with that Excel feature, if memory serves, but it would carry along with the Excel document itself.

I wrote up the following quite a while back:
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Assigning a Title Row (Column Titles) and/or Title Column (Row Titles) in Excel

You can assign column and row titles in Excel. These are nice because they always work with Excel and are saved to the workbook. There's no risk of losing a setting in your screen reader.

To add column and row title names:

1. You will need to have selected one of the three following things, depending on what you are trying to assign:
      1. If you have a cell where the Column and Row titles intersect, gain focus on it.  You will continue through the process, assigning a name that begins with Title, which is how Excel knows this is the intersection point.
      2. The first column to the right of the intersection point that marks the start of the series of cells that make up the individual column titles across a given row.  You will continue through the process, assigning a name that begins with RowTitle, as this tells Excel these cells are a row of titles for the columns that lie below them.
      3. The first row beneath the intersection point that marks the start of the series of cells that make up the individual row titles down a given column.  You will continue through the process, assigning a name that begins with ColumnTitle, as this tells Excel these cells are a column of titles for the rows to the right of them.
    2. Open the Name dialog:

i.      Open the Formula ribbon (ALT-M)

ii.      Activate the “Define Name” command (M)

iii.      Within the drop-down list, activate “Define Name”

iv.      The “New Name” dialog opens

Focus is placed in the name field. Within the name field, you can name the focused cell or selected range of cells. In this case, we’re naming the column or row title:

1. Prefix the cell name using the following rules

i.  Start the range name with the label that tells Excel you’re creating a title range

1. Title – This tells Excel the column and row that intersect at the active cell are a title row and column
        2. ColumnTitle – This tells Excel the focused column contains the titles for the rows within the range
        3. RowTitle – this tells Excel the focused row contains titles for the columns in the range

ii.      Add a name for the range.  I stick on an underscore then either the name of the workbook if I intend to make the name assignment applicable across the workbook and not usable anywhere else (see step iii, scope) or just leave it without anything else if I want to use it on other worksheets in the workbook.

1. Title_WidgetSales  or just Title
        2. ColumnTitle_WidgetSales or just ColumnTitle
        3. RowTitle_WidgetSales or just RowTitle

iii.      Optional - Add the last cell in the range preceded by two periods

1. Use this when you have multiple regions in a worksheet
        2. Title_WidgetSales or just Title (there is no range for the intersection)
        3. ColumnTitle_WidgetSales..h32 or ColumnTitle..h32
        4. RowTitle_WidgetSales..r12 or RowTitle..r12
        5. Remember the cell address referenced is the last cell in the range for which you are creating titles

The next field in the dialog sets the scope for the name. this is a combo box. Use UP and DOWN ARROW to choose from between:

• Workbook - the title Is unique and can’t be used elsewhere in a workbook
  • A Specific Worksheet - the name can be used elsewhere in a workbook

You can add a comment for the named cell or region, this is strictly for your personal reference and doesn’t affect the echo of the column or row title name

The last field references the cell name or range of selected cells you’re naming. You can leave this field alone.

Activate the OK button to save the name and close the dialog.

Save the workbook and the titles are permanently saved and will work on any computer.

If you have titles set to echo in JAWS, the titles will echo and you won’t lose the settings.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362  

The color of truth is grey.

~ André Gide

Quentin Christensen

I think what you've done is set one of your previous rows as the column headers - that would explain both why it is reading another number as you move, AND why it's not reading the cell headers you expect.  Either go back to the first cell with cell headers, and press NVDA+control+c twice quickly to remove the header,  OR press CONTROL+F3 to open the names manager, and remove any from the current worksheet with names like "ColumnTitle_d7cd3b3b417b4fcdbebe4c26720205cc"

Regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 5:10 AM Gary Metzler <gmtravel@...> wrote:

Hi Robert,

It’s from a prior cell.

Hi All,

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Gary Metzler

Hi Quentin,

Thank you for the help.  Deleting the names did the trick.  Thanks again.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 8:03 PM

I think what you've done is set one of your previous rows as the column headers - that would explain both why it is reading another number as you move, AND why it's not reading the cell headers you expect.  Either go back to the first cell with cell headers, and press NVDA+control+c twice quickly to remove the header,  OR press CONTROL+F3 to open the names manager, and remove any from the current worksheet with names like "ColumnTitle_d7cd3b3b417b4fcdbebe4c26720205cc"

Regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 5:10 AM Gary Metzler <gmtravel@...> wrote:

Hi Robert,

It’s from a prior cell.

Hi All,

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager