Topics

Excel: Stop Saying "Formula Bar"


Pele West
 

Hi Everyone

I am using Windows 10, the latest version of NVDA and MSOffice 2016.

Is there a setting to stop NVDA saying "Formula Bar" every time I type in a cell in Excel?

Thanks

Pele


 

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 12:37 PM, Pele West wrote:
Is there a setting to stop NVDA saying "Formula Bar" every time I type in a cell in Excel?
-
What are you typing?

If it is indeed a formula, this is NVDA's way of letting you know that Excel has caught that fact and the cell formula is being entered in the formula bar.

If it's just text, or a number, or something else then you shouldn't hear that announcement, as a formula has not been detected.

I know of no way to turn that off and, for myself, would not want to.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

 


Pele West
 

Hi Brian

Thanks for writing.

I also want NVDA to tell me that I am writing a formula in the Formula Bar, but NVDA says "Formula Bar" every time I write to a cell.

Pele West


 

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 12:58 PM, Pele West wrote:
every time I write to a cell.
-
I want to be absolutely clear, NVDA is saying this to you even when what you are writing in that cell is not a formula?  It's not telling me this even when I am entering a formula.

Also, it's important to know what versions of both Excel and NVDA you are using, and if it's not Windows 10 you're using, what Windows version, too.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

 


 

Pele,

          Sorry, I confused your original message with another, and I see you've given the Windows and Excel versions.  I can't explain why you'd be hearing "formula bar" all the time, at least not yet.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

 


 

I can't find a darned thing in Settings that seems to be related to this.

For starters, try:  The Most Basic Troubleshooting Steps for Suspected NVDA Issues

If none of those steps fix the issue, then report back.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

 


Pele West
 

Hi Again, Brian

Thanks for writing. I have answered your questions in your message:

Brian: I want to be absolutely clear, NVDA is saying this to you even when what you are writing in that cell is not a formula? It's not telling me this even when I am entering a formula.

Pele: Yes, NVDA says "Formula Bar" every time I type in a field.

Brian: Also, it's important to know what versions of both Excel and NVDA you are using, and if it's not Windows 10 you're using, what Windows version, too.

Pele: I am using Windows 10, MSOffice 2016 and the latest version of NVDA.

Pele


Pele West
 

Hi Again, Brian

Apologies, our messages crossed.

I have just tried Excel from MSOffice 2010 on a different machine with the same versions of Windows 10 and NVDA and it just says "Edit" when I type in a cell.

I am not sure where this gets us, but I thought I would let you know, anyway.

Pele


 

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 03:58 PM, Pele West wrote:
I am not sure where this gets us, but I thought I would let you know, anyway.
-
Nor am I, at least as far as a specific solution, but it's still a valuable comparison data point to have.

Have you tried the troubleshooting steps I requested earlier?  If not, please do, and you can stop before having done all three if numbers one or two fix the issue.  We really need to look into whether the most common fixes work or the most common offenders, add-ons, may be at play before going any further.

This is likely to be a "trial and error" diagnostic. 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

 


Sarah k Alawami
 

I actually have that issue as well. When I edit my reports I hear "entering formula bar" when I hit f2 to edit and it doesn't matter what i enter, a call sign? Text? Numbers? What ever I enter I do hear it, and sometimes I do not.

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 29 Mar 2021, at 9:49, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 12:37 PM, Pele West wrote:
Is there a setting to stop NVDA saying "Formula Bar" every time I type in a cell in Excel?
-
What are you typing?

If it is indeed a formula, this is NVDA's way of letting you know that Excel has caught that fact and the cell formula is being entered in the formula bar.

If it's just text, or a number, or something else then you shouldn't hear that announcement, as a formula has not been detected.

I know of no way to turn that off and, for myself, would not want to.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

 


 

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 06:43 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
I actually have that issue as well.
-
Then, if you are so inclined, jump right in as a second person running through the diagnostic steps, and report what you're finding as things move along.  If you're not so inclined that's fine, but it's often easier to see whether things remain exactly the same for two people experiencing a given issue while troubleshooting.  Often, if a divergence occurs, it's telling.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

 


Sarah k Alawami
 

I'm at work righ tnow, but I have actually tired running the com reg tool, and it didn't work, it actually never did with the office app. It even does this with all add ons disabled. That's actually all the time I have right now. I'm actually waiting for a student.

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 29 Mar 2021, at 15:47, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 06:43 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
I actually have that issue as well.
-
Then, if you are so inclined, jump right in as a second person running through the diagnostic steps, and report what you're finding as things move along.  If you're not so inclined that's fine, but it's often easier to see whether things remain exactly the same for two people experiencing a given issue while troubleshooting.  Often, if a divergence occurs, it's telling.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

 


Pranav Lal
 

Hi all,

 

There is a setting in excel called something like “edit directly in cell”. I think it is in the  advanced tab of the options dialogue. Toggle this and see what happens.

 

Pranav


Pele West
 

Hi Pranav

Thanks so much. It worked!

This is the value of these lists.

Pele


Cearbhall O'Meadhra
 

Sara, Brian and all who follow this thread,

 

I am running:

Microsoft Excel 2016

Windows 10 Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.867)

NVDA Version: 2020.4

 

After trying various combinations of the following two settings under the Advanced tab in the excel Options,

When I pressed the “=” key to edit  a cell,

I found

First, that NVDA says "Formula Bar editing Equals" When:

"Allow editing directly in cells" is disabled

“Show formula bar” is enabled

 

Next, I found that NVDA stops saying "Formula Bar editing Equals"

and says "Pane" instead When:

"Allow editing directly in cells" is disabled

“Show formula bar” is disabled.

 

The good news is that

I found that NVDA stops saying "Formula Bar editing Equals" and, instead, says "Editing Equals" When:

"Allow editing directly in cells" is enabled

“Show formula bar” is either enabled or disabled

 

Conclusion:

So, to disable the annoying "Formula Bar editing Equals”, the setting for Allowing editing in cells" needs to be enabled and it does not matter whether "Show formula bar" is enabled or disabled.

 

I hope this helps.

 

All the best,

 

Cearbhall

 

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 11:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Excel: Stop Saying "Formula Bar"

 

I actually have that issue as well. When I edit my reports I hear "entering formula bar" when I hit f2 to edit and it doesn't matter what i enter, a call sign? Text? Numbers? What ever I enter I do hear it, and sometimes I do not.

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 29 Mar 2021, at 9:49, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 12:37 PM, Pele West wrote:

Is there a setting to stop NVDA saying "Formula Bar" every time I type in a cell in Excel?

-
What are you typing?

If it is indeed a formula, this is NVDA's way of letting you know that Excel has caught that fact and the cell formula is being entered in the formula bar.

If it's just text, or a number, or something else then you shouldn't hear that announcement, as a formula has not been detected.

I know of no way to turn that off and, for myself, would not want to.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

 


Sarah k Alawami
 

Would editing directly in cells be in excel? I'm guessing yes. I recall seeing that setting somewhere. Oh wouldn't it be nice if I could search the settings panel for "editing" and get a narrow list of options? Oh well, such is life. I'm not in excel, not even on my windows computer right now so I'll look when I next launch excel, probably the next time I generate a report.

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 30 Mar 2021, at 2:58, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:

Sara, Brian and all who follow this thread,

 

I am running:

Microsoft Excel 2016

Windows 10 Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.867)

NVDA Version: 2020.4

 

After trying various combinations of the following two settings under the Advanced tab in the excel Options,

When I pressed the “=” key to edit  a cell,

I found

First, that NVDA says "Formula Bar editing Equals" When:

"Allow editing directly in cells" is disabled

“Show formula bar” is enabled

 

Next, I found that NVDA stops saying "Formula Bar editing Equals"

and says "Pane" instead When:

"Allow editing directly in cells" is disabled

“Show formula bar” is disabled.

 

The good news is that

I found that NVDA stops saying "Formula Bar editing Equals" and, instead, says "Editing Equals" When:

"Allow editing directly in cells" is enabled

“Show formula bar” is either enabled or disabled

 

Conclusion:

So, to disable the annoying "Formula Bar editing Equals”, the setting for Allowing editing in cells" needs to be enabled and it does not matter whether "Show formula bar" is enabled or disabled.

 

I hope this helps.

 

All the best,

 

Cearbhall

 

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 11:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Excel: Stop Saying "Formula Bar"

 

I actually have that issue as well. When I edit my reports I hear "entering formula bar" when I hit f2 to edit and it doesn't matter what i enter, a call sign? Text? Numbers? What ever I enter I do hear it, and sometimes I do not.

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 29 Mar 2021, at 9:49, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 12:37 PM, Pele West wrote:

Is there a setting to stop NVDA saying "Formula Bar" every time I type in a cell in Excel?

-
What are you typing?

If it is indeed a formula, this is NVDA's way of letting you know that Excel has caught that fact and the cell formula is being entered in the formula bar.

If it's just text, or a number, or something else then you shouldn't hear that announcement, as a formula has not been detected.

I know of no way to turn that off and, for myself, would not want to.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

 


Pranav Lal
 

Hi Pele,

I am happy to have helped. Are you still able to edit formulas and values character by character with the revised setting
?

Pranav


 

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 05:59 AM, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:
So, to disable the annoying "Formula Bar editing Equals”, the setting for Allowing editing in cells" needs to be enabled and it does not matter whether "Show formula bar" is enabled or disabled.
-
Thanks very, very much for the full explanation of how you got to the "there" quoted above and for the succinct summation.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

 


Pele West
 

Hi Pranav

Thanks. So far editing works well, just as it should.

Pele


Sarah k Alawami
 

Well, Here's the odd thing. I have the "edit directly in sells" unchecked and mine still says the "formula bar" prompt. I’m not in a formula bar. I'm entering in emails in this case. Is there anything else I can check to see in my case what is going on and when the edit direct in cells check box is not checked? It still happens with all add ons disabled and when I run the com reg tool.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Pele West
Sent: Thursday, April 1, 2021 1:07 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Excel: Stop Saying "Formula Bar"

Hi Pranav

Thanks. So far editing works well, just as it should.

Pele