Exclamation mark

Peter Beasley

I have tried all the various options in punctuation settings to try to get NVDA not to announce exclamation but nothing seems to work.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Gene

Have you worked in the ;punctuation/symbols dialog?

Gene

On 3/2/2022 8:47 AM, Peter Beasley wrote:

I have tried all the various options in punctuation settings to try to get NVDA not to announce exclamation but nothing seems to work.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Serious question:  Are you trying to get it to be entirely silent, or are you looking for something like "bang" to be announced for exclamation mark when moving letter by letter?

Gene is right in that the punctuation/symbols dialog is what's used to control this, but the exact tweaking would depend on precisely what it is you're trying to accomplish.

     ~ Commenter, Evangelos, in comments for
        New York Times, February 8, 2022

Peter Beasley

I don’t want it announced when reading a document or e-mail. If I read by letter, it says Bang not exclamation.

        New York Times, February 8, 2022

Tyler Spivey

So set your symbol level to Some and it shouldn't speak.

If you've changed something in the symbol pronunciation dialog, you might have to reset that. Either figure out what you changed and undo that, or reset everything.
If you want to reset all your symbols, though, there's no reset button, so you'll have to delete %appdata%\nvda\symbols-en.dic, then restart NVDA.

/        New York Times/, February 8, 2022

On Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 11:31 AM, Peter Beasley wrote:
I don’t want it announced when reading a document or e-mail.
-
Under what conditions are you having it read?  And by that I mean several examples of a chunk of text where it's being read.

And, so I'm clear, when I say being read it would announce bang.

In my experience with both JAWS and NVDA if a sentence ends in an exclamation point the intonation of the sentence itself is changed to indicate that and the punctuation mark is not read.  It behaves much like it does when a question mark is encountered, but with different stress.

I'm still not clear about what you're getting, when you're getting it, and what your desired result is.

     ~ Commenter, Evangelos, in comments for
        New York Times, February 8, 2022

Gene

Evidently, you want some punctuation announced but not the exclamation point.  Set the exclamation point in the punctuation/symbol pronunciation dialog to all.  That way, it will only be announced when you have punctuation set to all.  If you already have punctuation set to all, I haven't played with this to any extent.  I'll play with it if that is the case.  But if you set it to all and your punctuation reading level is set to most, some, or none, you won't hear it.  If you don't know how to do that, ask.

Gene

        New York Times, February 8, 2022

Peter Beasley

I have tried setting it to all, most, some, none and character and none of them stop exclamation from being spoken.

Sent from Mail for Windows

        New York Times, February 8, 2022

Chris Mullins

Hi

In the “Punctuation/ Symbols pronunciation” dialog, what are the Level and Preserve field settings you have set for both the “Sentince ending”  and the symbol itself?

CfCheers

                Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

        New York Times, February 8, 2022

Gene

Are you talking about when you are moving through a document character by character or typing or actually listening to a line of text being read?  If you are typing, you will hear punctuation if you have character echo on because that is what you type.  It doesn't matter what level of punctuation you have anything set for.  The same with moving buy letter through a document.  Its in moving by word, reading phrases, lines, or reading a whole document that these settings matter.

If you don't know how to work with the punctuation/symbol pronunciation dialog, I'll describe it here.

You get to it in preferences.  Once you open it you are in a list of everything.

Shift arrow once.

You are in a field that says filter by.
Type what you are looking for, in this case the exclamation point symbol.

Tab once to the list.

You will see any entry dealing with the exclamation point.

If you don't want anything spoken, up and down arrow to select an entry and tab to where you see something like none, some, most, or all.  If you set the item to all, using the up or down arrow key to move there, you won't hear the item spoken except when punctuation is set to all.

Return to the list, move to another entry and do the same thing.  Continue until every entry is set to all.

Tab to and activate the OK button.

Gene

        New York Times, February 8, 2022

.

Gene

I made an error in the below message.  I said to shift arrow once to the filter by field.  I meant to say shift tab once.

Gene

        New York Times, February 8, 2022

.

Peter Beasley

I have tried all of the options listed but still can’t stop exclamation from being spoken

Sent from Mail for Windows

        New York Times, February 8, 2022

.

Gene

I don't know what the problem is.  You can use the speech dictionary.  Type exclamation in the pattern field and in the pronounced as field type a space.  Choose whole word in the field where you select the radio button for where it applies.

Gene

        New York Times, February 8, 2022

.

On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 11:10 AM, Peter Beasley wrote:
I have tried all of the options listed but still can’t stop exclamation from being spoken
-
And you have yet to give a clear explanation of exactly under what conditions it's being spoken where you don't want it.  That really makes it impossible for anyone to give good advice.

     ~ Commenter, Evangelos, in comments for
        New York Times, February 8, 2022

Chris Mullins

Hi

What Symbol level have you set for NVDA to speak?

What are the values for level and preserve for both

The sentence ending and symbol entries for the exclamation mark in the Punctuation/Symbol dialog?

I asked these questions when you originaly posted the issue but did not see a reply.

Cheers

                Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

        New York Times, February 8, 2022

.

Luke Davis

Gene wrote:

I don't know what the problem is.  You can use the speech dictionary.  Type exclamation in the pattern field and in the pronounced as field type a space.
Choose whole word in the field where you select the radio button for where it applies.
Gene, I have seen you give this "type a space" in the replacement field advice before.

My general pattern is to type nothing in the replacement field for these, and I have never had a problem with it.

Do you have a specific reason why you advise typing a space instead of typing nothing?

Luke

Gene

It may not matter.  I've repeatedly seen people advise to do this and I haven't tried leaving nothing.  If it works just as well, then there is no reason to leave a space.

Gene

On 3/9/2022 4:33 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
Gene wrote:

I don't know what the problem is.  You can use the speech dictionary.  Type exclamation in the pattern field and in the pronounced as field type a space.
Choose whole word in the field where you select the radio button for where it applies.
Gene, I have seen you give this "type a space" in the replacement field advice before.

My general pattern is to type nothing in the replacement field for these, and I have never had a problem with it.

Do you have a specific reason why you advise typing a space instead of typing nothing?

Luke

Sarah k Alawami

When I used to be a jaws user you had to type a space for the replacement if you wanted nothing spoken, at least that is what I was taught in 2002 when I started using jaws up until I quit in 2010, so for us old habits die very hard.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. .

For more info go to our website. . to subscribe to the feed click here

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and odysee. Thanks Restream staff.

Videos of some of our podcasts can be found on odysee

You can support the podcast by subscribing via the tip jar. You will get early access episodes plus no adds. If you cannot do that, then leave a 5 star rating on our podcast using your podcast directory's rating system.

On 9 Mar 2022, at 14:33, Luke Davis wrote:

Gene wrote:

I don't know what the problem is.  You can use the speech dictionary.  Type exclamation in the pattern field and in the pronounced as field type a space.
Choose whole word in the field where you select the radio button for where it applies.

Gene, I have seen you give this "type a space" in the replacement field advice before.

My general pattern is to type nothing in the replacement field for these, and I have never had a problem with it.

Do you have a specific reason why you advise typing a space instead of typing nothing?

Luke

We do not, and have not, had sufficient information to even make an educated guess as to exactly what's going on here, so all the solutions are wildly speculative (as we don't have the available data to support any one of them).

If the original poster wants an answer, then he needs to produce:

1. Examples of sentences where whatever it is he objects to is occurring.  Or copies of the documents or URLs of webpages where the issue is occurring.

2. NVDA speech history showing what is produced for those sentences/documents/etc..

3. What NVDA settings are in place for punctuation, particularly the exclamation mark (bang/exclamation point).

All we have heard, again and again, is that the OP wants, "NVDA not to announce exclamation," and precious little else.

I state this to the OP, and the membership at large:  When potential assistants ask you to produce specific information, and even go so far as to tell you the exact information they want, for the love of heaven, produce it!  No one asks for this stuff for their amusement or to make life difficult for you.  It is needed to accurately diagnose what's going on.  It's not "optional information."

I have never heard NVDA announce an exclamation point as a standalone punctuation mark when doing a "Say All," and offerings from the OP such as, "I don’t want it announced when reading a document or e-mail," imply that's what's happening.  If it is, then something's screwy, probably in punctuation settings, but we have a complete dearth of information about where/when it's happening.  A fix can't be made without material for assistants to play with (whether it's to replicate the issue by screwing up their own settings to get it to happen or just to see if it happens for them with default settings).

     ~ Commenter, Evangelos, in comments for
        New York Times, February 8, 2022

Peter Beasley

It’s being spoken when reading a line of text or a document or e-mail.

        New York Times, February 8, 2022