faced 2 problems while using zoom with NVDA

Sharad Koirala

hi group members,

I am facing two problems while using zoom with NVDA:
1. I am not able to access the screen someone has shared in a meeting,
for e.g. when I am attending a powerpoint presentation I cannot access
the slides the presenter has shared during the presentation
2. I am not able to access a link shared in the chat box (I even tried
to copy it when I could not open the link with no success)

what could be the solutions to these problems?

thanks,

--
Dr. Sharad Koirala
Lecturer

Steve Nutt

I don't think any screen reader will let you access presentations from a shared screen. This would, I thought, have been impossible, since the only thing shared is an image.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@comproom.co.uk
I am facing two problems while using zoom with NVDA:
1. I am not able to access the screen someone has shared in a meeting, for e.g. when I am attending a powerpoint presentation I cannot access the slides the presenter has shared during the presentation 2. I am not able to access a link shared in the chat box (I even tried to copy it when I could not open the link with no success)

what could be the solutions to these problems?

thanks,

--
Dr. Sharad Koirala
Lecturer
Department of Community Medicine
Gandaki Medical College, Pokhara, Nepal

Sarah k Alawami

For your first question you won't be able to access the slides. They are images. For your second question I am able to tab to links, if not access the text file that will be there at the end of your chat. Or save the chat and the text file will update.

Finally, you can support my work on happs, the network of now.

On 7 May 2021, at 2:34, Sharad Koirala wrote:

hi group members,

I am facing two problems while using zoom with NVDA:
1. I am not able to access the screen someone has shared in a meeting,
for e.g. when I am attending a powerpoint presentation I cannot access
the slides the presenter has shared during the presentation
2. I am not able to access a link shared in the chat box (I even tried
to copy it when I could not open the link with no success)

what could be the solutions to these problems?

thanks,

--
Dr. Sharad Koirala
Lecturer
Department of Community Medicine
Gandaki Medical College, Pokhara, Nepal

Bob Cavanaugh <cavbob1993@...>

That's the problem I have with accessing things on Zoom, I can't seem
to access anything until the chat is saved at the end of the meeting.
I can read messages, but I can't seem to copy them to the clipboard
until the meeting is ended, when a text file pops up with the entire
chat up to the point you copied.

For your first question you won't be able to access the slides. They are
images. For your second question I am able to tab to links, if not
access the text file that will be there at the end of your chat. Or save
the chat and the text file will update.

[website.](http://www.tffppodcast.com)

Our [discord](http://tiny.cc/d-tffp) is where you will know when we go
live on [twitch.](http://twitch.tv/ke7zum) Feel free to give the channel
a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit [my main lbry
page](http://lbry.tv/@ke7zum) and my [tffp lbry
page](http://lbry.tv/@tffp) You will also be able to buy some of my
products and eBooks there.
Finally, you can support my work on [happs, the network of
now.](http://happs.tv/@ke7zum)

On 7 May 2021, at 2:34, Sharad Koirala wrote:

hi group members,

I am facing two problems while using zoom with NVDA:
1. I am not able to access the screen someone has shared in a meeting,
for e.g. when I am attending a powerpoint presentation I cannot access
the slides the presenter has shared during the presentation
2. I am not able to access a link shared in the chat box (I even tried
to copy it when I could not open the link with no success)

what could be the solutions to these problems?

thanks,

--
Dr. Sharad Koirala
Lecturer
Department of Community Medicine
Gandaki Medical College, Pokhara, Nepal

Gene

If you use the copy available in NVDA where you set left and right markers, you should be able to copy things.  I used that method to copy a link someone sent and then paste it into a browser.

Sent: Friday, May 07, 2021 1:09 PM

That's the problem I have with accessing things on Zoom, I can't seem
to access anything until the chat is saved at the end of the meeting.
I can read messages, but I can't seem to copy them to the clipboard
until the meeting is ended, when a text file pops up with the entire
chat up to the point you copied.

> For your first question you won't be able to access the slides. They are
>   images. For your second question I am able to tab to links, if not
> access the text file that will be there at the end of your chat. Or save
> the chat and the text file will update.
>
> --
>
> Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our
> [website.](http://www.tffppodcast.com)

> Our [discord](http://tiny.cc/d-tffp)  is where you will know when we go
> live on [twitch.](http://twitch.tv/ke7zum) Feel free to give the channel
> a follow and see what is up there.
>
> For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit [my main lbry
> page](http://lbry.tv/@ke7zum) and my [tffp lbry
> page](http://lbry.tv/@tffp) You will also be able to buy some of my
> products and eBooks there.
> Finally, you can support  my work on [happs, the network of
> now.](http://happs.tv/@ke7zum)
>
> On 7 May 2021, at 2:34, Sharad Koirala wrote:
>
>> hi group members,
>>
>> I am facing two problems while using zoom with NVDA:
>> 1. I am not able to access the screen someone has shared in a meeting,
>> for e.g. when I am attending a powerpoint presentation I cannot access
>> the slides the presenter has shared during the presentation
>> 2. I am not able to access a link shared in the chat box (I even tried
>> to copy it when I could not open the link with no success)
>>
>> what could be the solutions to these problems?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Dr. Sharad Koirala
>> Lecturer
>> Department of Community Medicine
>> Gandaki Medical College, Pokhara, Nepal

Sharad Koirala

thank u for all the advices..

[...]

Luke Davis

You might write to the authors of the Zoom Accessibility Enhancements Add-on, and ask them to help with this problem in their next version.

https://addons.nvda-project.org/./addons/zoomEnhancements.en.html

They won't be able to help with the screen sharing problem, but the links in chat problem should be solvable.

Luke

Scott Salzman

Here's some additional follow-up to Sarah's suggestions. Apologies for all of this detail. I hope some of it may be helpful.

There's a "Save Chat" button, in the Chat window, under the "More Chat Options" button. You can use this button to save the chat at any time, as many times as you like during a Zoom meeting. NVDA does not announce anything when you press the "Save Chat" button, but if you tab backwards a few times, you'll land on a "Show in Folder" button, which will open a File Explorer window that has your saved chat text file.

It looks like this save chat function will save any updates to the same file, so you'll only have one saved chat file, for each meeting. Even if the function to automatically save chat at the end of the meeting has been enabled, it looks like that also updates the same file. So any time you open this file, it should contain all of the chat messages, as of the last time chat was saved in that meeting.

Note that in Zoom versions 4.5.0 or later, there is a setting under the "Meetings" tab, that would allow a host to "Prevent participants from saving chat". This setting is different from, and independent of the "Auto saving chats" setting, which only saves chat at the end of the meeting. Not surprisingly, if I start a Zoom meeting with the "Prevent participants from saving chat" setting enabled, I can't make it available during that meeting, even if I change the setting.

Thanks.

Scott

Scott Salzman
Web Discovery Librarian
Furman University

That's the problem I have with accessing things on Zoom, I can't seem to access anything until the chat is saved at the end of the meeting.
I can read messages, but I can't seem to copy them to the clipboard until the meeting is ended, when a text file pops up with the entire chat up to the point you copied.

For your first question you won't be able to access the slides. They are
images. For your second question I am able to tab to links, if not
access the text file that will be there at the end of your chat. Or
save the chat and the text file will update.

[website.](http://www.tffppodcast.com)

and you can also [follow us on
twitter](http://twitter.com/tffppodcast)

[...]

Eilana Benish

Hello everybody

I don't think that we can change the option to enter slide shows or websites that are shared with share screen on zoom. when someone shares a screen it is like you are watching TV or other video content so you cannot access the shared screen

The only way to interact with someone else is screen is if the other side gives you remote control when sharing screen. in addition, in order to use the other one computer with screen reader they will have to install screen reader on their computer.

As far as the links on the chat panel - here's what I do with NVDA

·         I open the chat panel with Alt + h - which is the default keyboard shortcut inszoom

·         the cursor is located at the message area where you can type a message.

·         if you don't want to type a message you can press tab to move to the messages list.

·         keep pressing tab to move to the next message and  Shift + TAB  to go back to the previous message.

In the last version of zone that I have, moving between messages in the list message cannot be achieved with the up and down arrow keys

·         to open the link press enter when the URL receives focus.

‫בתאריך יום ה׳, 13 במאי 2021 ב-21:49 מאת ‪Scott Salzman‬‏ <‪scott.salzman@...‬‏>:‬

> [...]

> For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit [my main lbry
> page](http://lbry.tv/@ke7zum) and my [tffp lbry
> page](http://lbry.tv/@tffp) You will also be able to buy some of my
> products and eBooks there.
> Finally, you can support  my work on [happs, the network of
> now.](http://happs.tv/@ke7zum)
>
> On 7 May 2021, at 2:34, Sharad Koirala wrote:
>
>> hi group members,
>>
>> I am facing two problems while using zoom with NVDA:
>> 1. I am not able to access the screen someone has shared in a
>> meeting, for e.g. when I am attending a powerpoint presentation I
>> cannot access the slides the presenter has shared during the
>> presentation 2. I am not able to access a link shared in the chat box
>> (I even tried to copy it when I could not open the link with no
>> success)
>>
>> what could be the solutions to these problems?

ובכבוד רב,

אילנה בניש מורשה נגישות שירות 2200

ייעוץ, ליווי והערכת נגישות ושמישות אינטרנט וטכנולוגיות מידע

טלפון ישיר 📱 +972-50-7100367 | דוא"ל 📧 benish.ilana@...

Sharad Koirala

thank you.
the trick of saving the chats whenever one needs to open a link is useful.

scott.salzman@furman.edu‬‏>:‬

<https://adn-accesstime.com>
*טלפון ישיר 📱 +972-50-7100367 | דוא"ל 📧 **benish.ilana@gmail.com*
<benish.ilana@gmail.com>