Topics

Few questions regarding the Place Markers add-on

Amir

Folks, having used the Place Markers feature in JAWS for a long time, I'd like to know if the Place Markers add-on for NVDA can provide an equal experience. Specifically:
1. Is it possible to create a place marker for a page and expect it to work on all pages belonging to that domain? For instance, I download a lot of podcasts and audio files from npr.org. With JAWS I've created a place marker for the Download link on one page and, via a check box, have set it up in a way that it works on all pages belonging to npr.org.
2. Crucially, can place markers be anchored to one or more words on a page so that they can always move us to the proper/expected location regardless of any modifications on that page? Again JAWS can do it by asking for a word or phrase to which a place marker should be anchored. Like the first one, this is also optional.

Best,
Amir

Tony Malykh

In the absence of other replies, let me tell you about my add-on BrowserNav. One of the features is what I called browser marks. You can configure a regular expression to match any words that you want to be able to find on web pages and jump to them quickly using J or Shift+J command. I was thinking of Jaws bookmarks when I designed this feature. Unlike Jaws it doesn't discriminate on the domain name, that is the whole regexp is being applied to all web pages. But it doesn't seem to cause problems for me. So to summarize, it's not exactly what you're looking for , but close enough, so might want to give it a try.

https://github.com/mltony/nvda-browser-nav/

HTH

--Tony

On 8/26/2020 10:58 PM, Amir wrote:
[...]

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply.
I love your add-on and indeed use it, or let me say use your various add-ons, on a regular basis.
However, as I noticed the "browser marks" feature a couple of months ago, I found out that configuring it or actually getting it to work is quite complicated. Of course, I should brush up on my knowledge of regular expressions, but maybe it should become easier to configure -- similar to what JAWS does. And if you don't discriminate based on domain, do you mean that something like the "Download" link gets detected on all websites containing this link with the exact form and spelling? Since I use various place markers on a wide range of websites, ideally I don't like to have such unexpected mark detections so as to make navigation faster and more focused.
Yet again, thanks for releasing such useful add-ons -- keep up the good work!

Best,
Amir

Tony Malykh

Yes, all the browser marks will be applied to all domains. I know that configuration is not very intuitive at this point, but convenient configuration windows require a lot of UI work, which I don't have much time or passion for. If we have some kind of UI for configuring browser marks, then we'd be able to specify domain name or regular expression for domain name, specific for each mark. I don't know yet how to extract domain name from currently displayed web page, but PlaceMarks add-on does it, so I assume I can copy their way. But in any case it requires a lot of work.

On 8/27/2020 9:05 AM, Amir wrote:
[...]

To be honest, I'm not sure if the Place Markers add-on works properly at least with regards to the questions I asked. Sometimes it places the cursor a couple of lines above or below the exact position required, and it tends to announce the cursor coordinates each time it locates a mark which is really verbose and distracting. So, IMO, it also requires more fine-tuning.

Best,
Amir

Amir

my tests indicate that the Place Markers add-on cannot extend a mark's functionality to domains. That is, each mark is useful for the page on which it was created. Rather disappointing IMO. Moreover, it tends to lose the position for which it was created if the page undergoes some changes. So, with all respect, it can't match the JAWS Place Marker functionality in its current form.

Cheers,
Amir