Firefox download new version dialog

David Mellor

Hello group,
When firefox says the following when ever a new window is opened, is there
any way I can interact with it please?
There are no menu options to check for updates and install.

alert Update available. Download the latest version of Firefox.
Dismiss button Alt+m Download button Alt+D

Very many thanks,
David

Patrick Le Baudour

Hi,

F6 would be the way to go. you may have to use it more than once depending on where you are.

If I remember correctly, there is a check for update part in the settings page.
-- Patrick

Le 10/09/2021 à 08:02, David Mellor a écrit :
Hello group,
When firefox says the following when ever a new window is opened, is there
any way I can interact with it please?
There are no menu options to check for updates and install.
alert Update available. Download the latest version of Firefox.
Dismiss button Alt+m Download button Alt+D
Very many thanks,
David

Chris

You  have answered your own question!

Alt+M to dismiss

Alt+D to download

When firefox says the following when ever a new window is opened, is there

any way I can interact with it please?

There are no menu options to check for updates and install.

alert  Update available. Download the latest version of Firefox.

Dismiss  button  Alt+m Download  button  Alt+D

Very many thanks,

David

David Mellor

Those keys don't interact with firefox unfortunately.
I could not see any way of getting to the controls.
The f6 does work, thank you Patrick.
Clicking on the download still didn't seem to do anything but I can play around with that a bit more.
Thanks,
David

When firefox says the following when ever a new window is opened, is there

any way I can interact with it please?

There are no menu options to check for updates and install.

alert  Update available. Download the latest version of Firefox.

Dismiss  button  Alt+m Download  button  Alt+D

Very many thanks,

David

Gene

The commands are announced at the end of the announcement.  Listen for such commands when you get messages like that in browsers.  I believe that in firefox, ivf you use f6, you may have to repeat it more than once, you will get to the announcement and you can hear it again.  I think you can execute the commands in the main window, or in the part of the window you are in when you get there with f6.

You can continue to use f6 to get back to the main part of the window.

Sent: Friday, September 10, 2021 1:02 AM

Hello group,
When firefox says the following when ever a new window is opened, is there
any way I can interact with it please?
There are no menu options to check for updates and install.

alert  Update available. Download the latest version of Firefox.
Dismiss  button  Alt+m Download  button  Alt+D

Very many thanks,
David

Gene

You just think they don’t work because nothing appears to change. I don’t know what a sighted person may see, but if you want to see progress, after you issue the download command, go into the about dialog, alt h followed by a.  Then check to see if browse mode is on.  Use NVDA key space.  If it isn’t on, turn it on.  You can now move around the about page as you would any web page.  You will find a line or two near the top of the page that tells you what is going on regarding the update.

As I recall, if you keep causing the line to read, it will say, after a time, something about restarting Firefox to update and you will hear a command to do so and there will be a button you can activate as well.

When firefox says the following when ever a new window is opened, is there

any way I can interact with it please?

There are no menu options to check for updates and install.

alert  Update available. Download the latest version of Firefox.

Dismiss  button  Alt+m Download  button  Alt+D

Very many thanks,

David

Lino Morales

Their is. Hit alt H for help and tab to the about then press enter. Next tab over to check for update or if it has already been download the button should say upgrade button.

On 9/10/2021 3:41 AM, Patrick Le Baudour wrote:
Hi,

F6 would be the way to go. you may have to use it more than once depending on where you are.

If I remember correctly, there is a check for update part in the settings page.
-- Patrick

Le 10/09/2021 à 08:02, David Mellor a écrit :
Hello group,
When firefox says the following when ever a new window is opened, is there
any way I can interact with it please?
There are no menu options to check for updates and install.

alert  Update available. Download the latest version of Firefox.
Dismiss  button  Alt+m Download  button  Alt+D

Very many thanks,
David

David Mellor

Thanks Lino,
I did look through the menus, honest, but didn't check in the About dialog.
Best wishes,
David

[...]

Thanks Gene,
I didn't play with it for long enough to be sure.
I ended up just turning on the auto update.
That caused the update to complete very quickly with the usual What's new in firefox page loading.
This didn't happen with my previous attempt at activating the download button.
Perhaps I'll give it a try another time.
Best wishes,
David