Topics

Fix for explorer crashing in Windows 7

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

An issue which has plagued many of our Windows 7 users lately, particularly those who use the mouse, has been explorer crashing in the start menu and other windows.

The latest "Alpha" snapshot *should* address this problem.  I'd like to encourage anyone who has experienced this issue to please test the latest alpha and let us know if that has in fact fixed the problem.

You can download the latest alpha from: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/snapshots/ - go to the first "download" link.  If you haven't used an alpha build before, when you run the downloaded file, it looks like any other version of NVDA.  It gives you the license agreement with options to install, create a portable version or continue running.  To test this particular fix, you should be able to simply "Continue running" (Which runs a complete version of NVDA, but any changes to settings you make won't be saved).  If you find it particularly useful, you can install it, but note that it will offer to update each day or each time a new alpha build is released if you leave check for updates enabled.  You will also likely note that it "beeps" more often than a regular stable version of NVDA.  This is because it beeps each time an error is encountered.  Often, however, errors are dealt with in the background with no adverse effects, so in a stable version of NVDA, a user would never notice it.  In the alpha builds, it beeps so that developers testing the build can know that an error has occurred.

All things going well, this fix is due to be included in NVDA 2019.3 when it comes out.  Sorry, I don't have an anticipated date at this stage, but we will release one or more beta versions, then one or more "RC" or release candidate builds and then the final version.

Once again, if you've had the issue with Explorer crashing in Windows 7, please do try the latest alpha snapshot and let us know how it is working for you.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen