Topics

focus 14 blue controls

Darren Harris

Hi all,

My partner has very kindly I might add given me her focus 14 blue braille display. She’s gone and bought a braillant 14 but the 14 blue is still in perfect working order.

Anyway I’ve been looking around and I’ve found it’s list of commands etc on the fs website. But they are saying in that document that for third party screen readers which from their perspective NVDA is, the commands may be somewhat different.

So my question is, are there any differences in how the display works commands wise and if so can someone point me to the correct documentation? This isn’t the focus 14 5th gen display this is the focus 14 blue.

Rui Fontes

Have you tried to read the NVDA manual? Or the Command quick guide?

Both are present in the Help menu of NVDA...

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Às 09:27 de 26/05/2020, Darren Harris via groups.io escreveu:

Hi all,

My partner has very kindly I might add given me her focus 14 blue braille display. She’s gone and bought a braillant 14 but the 14 blue is still in perfect working order.

Anyway I’ve been looking around and I’ve found it’s list of commands etc on the fs website. But they are saying in that document that for third party screen readers which from their perspective NVDA is, the commands may be somewhat different.

So my question is, are there any differences in how the display works commands wise and if so can someone point me to the correct documentation? This isn’t the focus 14 5th gen display this is the focus 14 blue.

Darren Harris

Hi, yes I did try looking for the manual. So far, I have only found stuff for touchscreens and hardware keyboards such as a QUE RTY keyboard.

On 26 May 2020, at 11:15, Rui Fontes <rui.fontes@...> wrote:

[...]

In the Commands Quick Reference do a NVDA find for Freedom, and you will be placed in the first table with commands for the Freedom Braille displays...

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Às 11:41 de 26/05/2020, Darren Harris via groups.io escreveu:

[...]

THANK YOU VERY MUCH I’LL GIVE THAT A LOOK. THAT IS APPRECIATED.

[...]

The other question I have which the manual won’t be able to answer is this. My 14 doesn’t have wiz wheels. Not that I know what they are particularly because this is the first display I’ve ever had. So really I want to know what the 14 has that are replacing wiz wheels and even what they are/were?

Many thanks.

[...]

Hello!

To the left and to the right of the line of Braille cells, you should have two buttons, or three, I don't remember, to replace the WizeWheels...

If you active the keyboard help, NVDA+1 above the letters, you can press the keys on the Braille display, and NVDA will announce the key name and associated function.

To deactivate, press again the NVDA+1.

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team