Focus 14 Braille display and NVDA

dennis huckle

How do I replicate ctrl N or alt N using a Focus 14 braille display using the latest braille extender add on and latest version of NVDA?

I am new to NVDA groups so want to make sure I am sending to the group to get my question answered and enter further discussions about this excellent screen reader.

Kind regards,

Dennis Huckle

dennis huckle

I sent a message just after joining this group.

I’ll re-phrase this.

Is there a way with the braille extender add on to configurwe a focus 14 freedom scientific braille display to replicate key strokes such as alt+n ctrl+n or in goldwave ctrl+f8 or ctrl+f9.

Any suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Dennis huckle.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of ely.r@...
Sent: 04 May 2021 15:12
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] [node] OCR with NVDA

Apologies and my note was a clear affirmation of the concept of the direct  connection between haste and waste!

Best,

Rick,

Former WGBH AD development team in another age ,.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of ely.r@...
Sent: Monday, May 3, 2021 9:40 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] OCR with NVDA

Yes, a good number of older films should be revisited to receive AD.

When few options were there, started looking for those that might address relationships and there again some outstanding examples but no AD.

What thoughts have you about R rated films?

Me&G

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Monday, May 3, 2021 7:24 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] OCR with NVDA

Yes being able to only OCR what is visible on screen is definitely a limitation.  I normally recommend setting documents to 100% zoom or page width etc.  If you have the document zoomed out so you can see 100 pages on screen, NVDA won't be able to recognise any text on such small pages.  If you have it zoomed in so you can only see one character, that's all it will be able to recognise.  Knowing the limitations, the OCR feature is useful, but doesn't replace a fully functional OCR program.

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 7:27 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 05:23 PM, Sascha Cowley wrote:

The Windows 10 OCR built in to NVDA only recognises text that is visible on screen.

-
Thanks.  This is what I thought I had recalled about the scope of what gets OCRed.  Not that this can't be handy, that's for sure, but if I want an entire file OCRed I pre-process with the OCR software of my choosing before ever opening it in the PDF reader of my choosing.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

~ Richard M. Nixon

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Jonathan COHN

Hello,
In general, one can assign NVDA commands to key strokes within the gestures area of the main NVDA settings. I have no idea what features or documentation there is for the this add--on. But since NVDA does define several keystrokes for displays, I have to assume that at least those keystrokes that NVDA extends to provide some feedback should be easily mapped in NVDA to braille keys.
I decided t follow this thread hopping to hear about the basics of the braille extender but nobody has replied.
Take care!
Jonathan

dennis huckle

Thank you,
We're getting a little further forward now.
Could you give me an example.
Suppose I want to do ctrl+n on the braille display.
I know there is a chorded command for ctrl so What do I do in input gestures to replicate the rest of the command I want to achieve.
In jaws for example the command is produced by dots 3 and dot 8 chorded,then release and immediately press braille letter n.
I am sure you will help if you can.
Nice to have joined this group.
Kind regards,
Dennis huckle.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jonathan COHN via groups.io
Sent: 05 May 2021 12:30
Subject: Re: [nvda] Focus 14 Braille display and NVDA

Hello,
In general, one can assign NVDA commands to key strokes within the gestures area of the main NVDA settings. I have no idea what features or documentation there is for the this add--on. But since NVDA does define several keystrokes for displays, I have to assume that at least those keystrokes that NVDA extends to provide some feedback should be easily mapped in NVDA to braille keys.
I decided t follow this thread hopping to hear about the basics of the braille extender but nobody has replied.
Take care!
Jonathan

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 07:30 AM, Jonathan COHN wrote:
-
It would be wise to create a dedicated topic if you're trying to get this sort of discussion going.

--

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

~ Richard M. Nixon

dennis huckle

Can anybody tell me how I can get the source code for the braille extender add on for nvda
I don't of course wish to breach any copy right but may consider writing my own add on to try and replicate some jaws functions for nvda if that's allowed.
Kind regards,
Dennis huckle.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jonathan COHN via groups.io

Hello,
Take care!
Jonathan

Rui Fontes

See at:

https://andreabc.net/projects/NVDA_addons/BrailleExtender

Rui Fontes

Às 15:52 de 05/05/2021, dennis huckle escreveu:

Can anybody tell me how I can get the source code for the braille extender add on for nvda
I don't of course wish to breach any copy right but may consider writing my own add on to try and replicate some jaws functions for nvda if that's allowed.
Kind regards,
Dennis huckle.

Hello,
Take care!
Jonathan

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 10:52 AM, dennis huckle wrote:
-
Almost all of the NVDA add-ons are hosted on GitHub and since they're open source anyone is free to take the code and modify it to their heart's content.  BrailleExtender GitHub Page.

That being said, are you certain that what you're looking for may not already be possible?  The page for the add-on clearly states, "Once the add-on is installed, read the documentation and go through the settings using the BrailleExtender menu (located at the root of NVDA menu). The documentation is mainly generated automatically because it depends on the braille display in use."

What's available is directly dependent on the braille display that you're using.

--

~ Richard M. Nixon

dennis huckle

Thanks Brian,

I’ll have another look but can’t find any keystrokes that allow me to do what I want.

There are about 66 key strokes listed like ctrl.

Function keys and alt.

But no notification as to how to follow ctrl with n or alt f.

Thanks kindly for looking at this for me.

I’m new to nvda and also this group.

In the braille section of nvda settings the only display that suits the focus displays seems to be auto.

Kind regards,

Dennis huckle.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 05 May 2021 16:21

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 10:52 AM, dennis huckle wrote:

-
Almost all of the NVDA add-ons are hosted on GitHub and since they're open source anyone is free to take the code and modify it to their heart's content.  BrailleExtender GitHub Page.

That being said, are you certain that what you're looking for may not already be possible?  The page for the add-on clearly states, "Once the add-on is installed, read the documentation and go through the settings using the BrailleExtender menu (located at the root of NVDA menu). The documentation is mainly generated automatically because it depends on the braille display in use."

What's available is directly dependent on the braille display that you're using.

--

~ Richard M. Nixon

Dennis,

This add-on is still under active development and maintenance.  If you are sufficiently Python-proficient to make these sorts of changes, I would strongly encourage you to make contact with the current maintainers of the add-on and discuss joining them in the effort.

The page Rui cited gives the email address of the primary (perhaps sole) developer:  André-Abush CLAUSE <>         
--

~ Richard M. Nixon

dennis huckle

Thanks Brian,

I have contacted the developer as you kindly suggested.

I feel sure that something will bee achieved.

Kind regards,

Dennis huckle.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 05 May 2021 16:40

Dennis,

This add-on is still under active development and maintenance.  If you are sufficiently Python-proficient to make these sorts of changes, I would strongly encourage you to make contact with the current maintainers of the add-on and discuss joining them in the effort.

The page Rui cited gives the email address of the primary (perhaps sole) developer:  André-Abush CLAUSE <dev@...>         
--

~ Richard M. Nixon

Luke Davis

Dennis

I haven't followed all of this thread, and I don't know if this will help or be part of what you want, but have you looked at "Emulated system keyboard keys" under NVDA's input gestures screen?

--
Luke

The best quote I ever heard about computer programming comes from Winston Churchill.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."

dennis huckle

Hello,
Gone a long way since then.
A lot to say.
Rather than keep taking up space on this list, and at the risk of repeating myself, e-mail me at
dwhuckle@virginmedia.com
and I can explain how you achieve all I wanted to do.
The list you refer to isn't complete.
I have offered the developer of the braille extender add on, who is a French student and developing this in her spare time, to help produce further documentation.
She hasn't come back yet but I'll help anyone on list if I can.
Its quite good, a lot different to jaws but works with the focus displays.

Get back if you wish on the e-mail shown in this message.
Kind regards,
Dennis huckle.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Luke Davis
Sent: 07 May 2021 06:43

Dennis

I haven't followed all of this thread, and I don't know if this will help or be part of what you want, but have you looked at "Emulated system keyboard keys" under NVDA's input gestures screen?

--
Luke

The best quote I ever heard about computer programming comes from Winston Churchill.

dennis huckle

Hello list,
I have now produced a short guide to the braille commands I can now use with a focus braille display and nvda.
The list is too long to produce on list so, if any user wishes to have a look at this first attempt at a guide they are welcome to do so.
Please e-mail
dwhuckle@virginmedia.com
I'll send you an attachment.
This guide shows how I have found it best to use these commands, others might have found other ways but I know this thread has created a lot of interest.
I should like to thank those on list who have assisted me in this matter.
Kind regards,
Dennis huckle.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of dennis huckle
Sent: 07 May 2021 09:00

Hello,
Gone a long way since then.
A lot to say.
Rather than keep taking up space on this list, and at the risk of repeating myself, e-mail me at dwhuckle@virginmedia.com and I can explain how you achieve all I wanted to do.
The list you refer to isn't complete.
I have offered the developer of the braille extender add on, who is a French student and developing this in her spare time, to help produce further documentation.
She hasn't come back yet but I'll help anyone on list if I can.
Its quite good, a lot different to jaws but works with the focus displays.

Get back if you wish on the e-mail shown in this message.
Kind regards,
Dennis huckle.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Luke Davis
Sent: 07 May 2021 06:43

Dennis

--
Luke