Topics

Focus Highlight and NVDA 2020.1

The functionality formerly handled by the Focus Highlight Add-On has been integrated into the core functionality of NVDA under the Vision preferences.  However, I have had no success in getting Focus Highlight to either work in the first place, or have its functionality stick.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled NVDA, and that didn't fix the issue, either.

Right now, if I attempt to enable Focus Highlight in the Vision settings, I am consistently getting the error message, "Could not load the Focus Highlight vision enhancement provider."

I thought I'd ask here if anyone knew if there was something I have done to cause this or could do to fix it before I file a trouble ticket on GitHub.

(As an aside, and I know that this is my doing, where is it that I can tweak how much punctuation NVDA pronounces?  In playing around I now have NVDA saying, "Loading NVDA dot dot dot," when loading, as well as reading way more punctuation than it does by default.  I can't seem to find the settings I tweaked when experimenting that caused this.)

Tyler Spivey

Answering your second question, either press NVDA+p or go to NVDA,
Preferences, Settings, Speech and find Punctuation/symbol level.
Setting it to some should work.

However, the Punctuation/symbol pronunciation dialog can modify what's
said at what level. If you want to reset that, delete
%appdata%\nvda\symbols-en.dic.

--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

*/Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its
platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth./*

      ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in /New York Times/ article, /How
Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States/
<https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html>/,/September
23, 2019

Tyler Spivey

In addition to my previous message, if it says it can't load the
provider, that usually means there's something in the log. Check the end
of it for a traceback.

[...]

An Update.

Tyler, thanks for the bit on punctuation, as going back to most is what fixed it.

I have done an uninstall/reinstall on NVDA 2020.1 and, so far, the Focus Highlight functionality is working.  But this was the case before, too, so I have the feeling that the same issue is going to crop up again.  We shall see.

It doesn't work for me at all, from what sighted people tell me, but maybe because I'm using high contrast on Windows 10? What's the link to the ticket on github?

I did not create a ticket, at least not yet.

And since using High Contrast under Windows can obscure many things that would otherwise appear, I'd definitely try turning that off to see if something appears.  There are times where you can't have everything you want at once.  I had the same sort of issues when using ZoomText with color tweaking.  It took precedence over certain things and, as a result, obscured their very existence.

If it turns out that High Contrast and Focus Highlight are not playing well together, a feature request to make Focus Highlight sense whether High Contrast is turned on, and modify what gets used as the framing color based on whether it's in a regular theme or a high contrast one.

Quentin Christensen

Brian,

I had a look through our issues and while there are several there for, or involving, focus highlight, none seemed to match the problems you've encountered.  If it does happen again, please do send me a log if you can (and if you can, ideally at debug level and with add-ons disabled, just in case).

One thing I did just try, is setting Windows 10 to High Contrast Mode and using Focus Highlight, and that works for me with Windows 10 1903 and 1909 using NVDA 2020.2beta2 at least.

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 9:10 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
I did not create a ticket, at least not yet.

And since using High Contrast under Windows can obscure many things that would otherwise appear, I'd definitely try turning that off to see if something appears.  There are times where you can't have everything you want at once.  I had the same sort of issues when using ZoomText with color tweaking.  It took precedence over certain things and, as a result, obscured their very existence.

If it turns out that High Contrast and Focus Highlight are not playing well together, a feature request to make Focus Highlight sense whether High Contrast is turned on, and modify what gets used as the framing color based on whether it's in a regular theme or a high contrast one.

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Hi,

I get a suspicion that somehow settings from the add-on version of Focus Highlight might be interfering with NVDA built-in version. To confirm, reset settings to defaults, and try if Focus Highlight option is usable.

Cheers,

Joseph