Footnotes numbering in MS Word documents

evkolovou@...

Hello everyone!
I've got a Word document (MS Office 2016), which is split into units and every unit has footnotes whose numbering begins with 1, 2 and so on. Nevertheless, I can't seem to find a way for those numbers to be read properly by NVDA. For instance, the 1st unit contains 2 footnotes, numbered 1 and 2 (which are read properly), but then in the 2nd unit (where footnotes' numbering starts from the beginning), NVDA reads "Footnote 3", instead of "Footnote 1" as it is supposed to be, so it recognizes all document footnotes as if they are with continuous numbering. Has such an issue occured to anyone? Any ideas for solving this are welcome!
Thank you in advance!
Evi

Quentin Christensen

This works with UIA enabled:

1. Press NVDA+control+g to open NVDA's settings
2. Press CONTROL+SHIFT+TAB to go to the last category - advanced.
3. Press SPACEBAR to accept the warning about changing these settings
4. Press TAB to the option "Use UI Automation to access Microsoft Word controls"
5. Press SPACEBAR to toggle this setting - ensure it is enabled.
6. Press ENTER to apply the change and close the dialog.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen