FoxitReader and NVDA: spaces are ignored in most PDF files

Андрей Якубой

Hello list!

I'd like to use FoxitReader to read PDF, especially large PDF. It seems to be quite accessible and easy to use, but there's one big problem that prevents me from using it.

In some PDF files, NVDA simply ignores spaces and read all words as one.

The most strange thing is that it happenes with a lot of (but not all) PDF downloaded from the Internet. Opening it in Word, Adobe or browser shows that everything is OK with the text layer, spaces are in PDF.

I found the same topic:
https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topic/nvda_with_foxit_reader/74263662
But there were no answers excepted to the request for a sample PDF file. It looks like the problem cannot be reproduced by all users.

For example, the PDF in which problem is reproduced for me is here:
https://zenodo.org/record/6855854/files/359.pdf

Does anyone who use FoxitReader have the same issue? Can it be solved?

Thanks,
Andrey

Use adobe reader.

To be honest its not as busted as it once was.

Now the only big things.

1.  its gona run stuff in the background if you are logged in so as long as you don't ever login its not a problem.

2.  it takes a bit to decode files and you need to alt tab out and in a few times after its done till it actually is but it does work enough to read files.

On 22/09/2022 5:47 am, Андрей Якубой wrote:
[...]

Gene

Microsoft Edge is much faster at having large files you load be ready if you want the entire document to be available as a whole. It doesn't recognize tables so you wouldn't use it for documents with tables but for straight text, it is much more efficient than Adobe and it remembers where you stopped reading and returns there when you open the document again.

Gene

On 9/21/2022 2:42 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

Rowen Cary

Hi all,

Foxit Reader-V12.0.1.12430 fixes this. You can get it here: https://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/latest.php?product=Foxit-Reader&platform=Windows&package_type=exe&language=L10N BTW, you can also select "Use the original printing Liu's reading order" when opening the PDF which will fix some Accessibility tree rendering issues.

Thanks

Yeti

Hi Andrey,

It may not help You, but I also use FoxitReader with NVDA.

For example, the PDF in which problem is reproduced for me is
here: https://zenodo.org/record/6855854/files/359.pdf
I jumped to page 256 and read there:
---
Singh, Mona. 1991. The perfective paradox or how to eat your cake and have ittoo. In Proceedings of the Seventeenth Annual Meeting of the Berkeley LinguisticsSociety: General Session and Parasession on The Grammar of Event Structure,469–479.http://elanguage.net/journals/bls/article/viewFile/2738/2719.
---

That looks fine for me so far.

This is with
- Foxit PDF Reader: 12.0.1 12340
- NVDA 2022.2.3 (BrailleExtender installed)
- W10 21h2 64-Bit

Enjoy your work

Ad Astra

Yeti

Brian's Mail list account

I think I have even seen this running together for some lines in Adobe reader as well, but Edge seems to manage.
Of course the big problem on pdf has always been tagging the reading order of the text if it changes part way through a file as many do. No amount of machine AI seems to be able to do what the brain can and separate the columns.

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

It makes a reasonable job of reading out loud as well of course. What a pity it cannot do this in the background and just present you with an audio file as well.