Topics

FW: [win10] Edge 79: if your screen reader is having trouble working with web content shown in Edge...

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2020 10:25 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] Edge 79: if your screen reader is having trouble working with web content shown in Edge... #ChromiumEdge

Hi all,

Someone reported on JFW list (hosted on Groups.IO) that the user cannot interact with certain web content displayed in Edge 79 beta, along with a thread on Win10 forum about inability to interact with web content shown in Edge with other screen readers. This issue can be traced to the fact that, in Edge 79 (upcoming stable version), UI Automation is enabled (several reports were sent to Microsoft about this issue). Unfortunately, as an NVDA core developer (not me) notes, UIA implementation in Chromium-based web browsers (including Edge) isn’t solid yet.

To work around this for now, you need to disable UIA support in Edge and other Chromium-based web browsers (if your browser exposes this option). To do so in Edge 79:

  1. Start new Microsoft Edge (not the old one).
  2. From address omnibox (Alt+D), type “edge://flags” (without quotes and as exactly as shown) and press Enter.
  3. Type “UI Automation” into “search flags” and press Tab to move through resulting content (no, DO NOT PRESS ENTER AFTER TYPING FLAGS!).
  4. Go to “Native UI Automation” combo box and select “disabled”.
  5. Press Tab to go to “Restart” button and click it.

Screen reader specifics:

  • Narrator: supports native UI Automation
  • JAWS: works better with native UI Automation off
  • NVDA: works better with UI Automation off and a fix is being developed
  • Other screen readers: contact vendors

Cheers,

Joseph

Chikodinaka mr. Oguledo

windos 7 will soon stop being supporting by Microsoft u need 2 get
windos 10 and hier after Janurary 14 2019

with web content shown in Edge... #ChromiumEdge

[...]

Arlene

Hi, I already have windows ten. I got it last year. My 7 box died.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

windos 7 will soon stop being supporting by Microsoft u need 2 get

windos 10 and hier after Janurary 14 2019

How weird! I thought NVDA supported this, in 2019.3? Darn, I thought this was something NVDA could just tap into, the UIA, and then whatever gets updated and otherwise, would automatically reflect because NVDA can already utilize native UI automation. Thanks for the tip! By the way, everybody, it works really really great with Narrator. I eagerly await this support in the core because this new chromium edge is great. Much better than the old edge, IMO.

Hi,

According to Mick Curran from NV Access, UIA implementation in Chromium is not quite solid yet.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Date: Monday, January 13, 2020 at 1:25 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

External email alert: Be wary of links & attachments.

[...]

This mostly concerns browsers, and Slack might be affected if accessed from the web.

An important update: the workaround I described earlier no longer applies if using NVDA 2019.3 or later.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Date: Monday, January 13, 2020 at 1:25 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

[...]

Its worth noting that I have never had any uia issues with chrome standard however in edge thats another animal.

Also of interest, shortcuts to online office programs seem to have got added to the menus as part of edge.

Not sure if these are online or what but it took me a bit to kill them.

Lets hope that now chrome and microsoft and others are in direct competition that we can actually see all sides step up just that little bit higher.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Date: Monday, January 13, 2020 at 1:25 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>