getting the time and date

Howard Traxler

I just did a windows reset on my windows 10 computer thinking it would solve all my problems.  Well, it only made things worse.  It blew away everything I had installed.  My particular concern is NVDA.  So, I reinstalled NVDAS, (this time, 2.1.3.3).  I'm still not able to read the time with NVDA plus F12.  Now, it just seems to be silent.  Maybe the computer is just not displaying the date and time info in a place where NVDA can grab it?  Any suggestions?  I really like this function; it's more accurate than my clock which is also on the desk along side the computer.

Thanks.
Howard

P.S.  I have to try setting up my email again on that machine.

Rui Fontes

It is a laptop or a desktop?

Rui

Às 18:47 de 15/05/2022, Howard Traxler escreveu:

I just did a windows reset on my windows 10 computer thinking it would solve all my problems.  Well, it only made things worse.  It blew away everything I had installed.  My particular concern is NVDA. So, I reinstalled NVDAS, (this time, 2.1.3.3).  I'm still not able to read the time with NVDA plus F12.  Now, it just seems to be silent.  Maybe the computer is just not displaying the date and time info in a place where NVDA can grab it?  Any suggestions?  I really like this function; it's more accurate than my clock which is also on the desk along side the computer.

Thanks.
Howard

P.S.  I have to try setting up my email again on that machine.

Howard,

How, precisely, did you perform your reset?  That term means a lot of different things to a lot of different people, and the exact technique you used could be a part of your current quandry.  Also, knowing the make and model of your machine along with the Windows 10 Version and Build would be most helpful to potential assistants.

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

Tyler Spivey

NVDA can always get the time. This sounds like a problem with your keyboard.
Let's rule that out first.
Please do the following:
1. Press NVDA+1 to turn on input help.
2. Press f1 through f12. What do you get?
3. Press NVDA+f12. What do you get?
4. Turn input help back off with NVDA+1.

On 5/15/2022 10:47 AM, Howard Traxler wrote:
I just did a windows reset on my windows 10 computer thinking it would solve all my problems.  Well, it only made things worse.  It blew away everything I had installed.  My particular concern is NVDA.  So, I reinstalled NVDAS, (this time, 2.1.3.3).  I'm still not able to read the time with NVDA plus F12.  Now, it just seems to be silent.  Maybe the computer is just not displaying the date and time info in a place where NVDA can grab it?  Any suggestions?  I really like this function; it's more accurate than my clock which is also on the desk along side the computer.
Thanks.
Howard
P.S.  I have to try setting up my email again on that machine.

Howard Traxler

it's a desktop; but I have the keyboard set to laptop.

On 5/15/2022 1:16 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:
It is a laptop or a desktop?

Rui

Às 18:47 de 15/05/2022, Howard Traxler escreveu:
I just did a windows reset on my windows 10 computer thinking it would solve all my problems.  Well, it only made things worse.  It blew away everything I had installed.  My particular concern is NVDA. So, I reinstalled NVDAS, (this time, 2.1.3.3).  I'm still not able to read the time with NVDA plus F12.  Now, it just seems to be silent. Maybe the computer is just not displaying the date and time info in a place where NVDA can grab it?  Any suggestions?  I really like this function; it's more accurate than my clock which is also on the desk along side the computer.

Thanks.
Howard

P.S.  I have to try setting up my email again on that machine.

Rui Fontes

I just asked to exclude the possibility of function keys are not working as you expected...

Rui Fontes

Às 23:33 de 15/05/2022, Howard Traxler escreveu:

[...]

Thank you folks, for responding.  But now this whole thing has to be on hold.  Thought I had it set; but found it necessary to restart and now the soundcard dongle is not recognized and the machine is silent.  Good thing I have an upstairs machine.  I'll return about this matter at a later date, I hope.

Howard

On 5/15/2022 1:23 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Howard,

How, precisely, did you perform your reset?  That term means a lot of different things to a lot of different people, and the exact technique you used could be a part of your current quandry.  Also, knowing the make and model of your machine along with the Windows 10 Version and Build would be most helpful to potential assistants.

*/You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them by ignoring them.
/*     ~ Ursula LeGuin, /The Dispossessed/