Getting to the Thunderbird options button to remove columns?

John Isige

Hi all.

I'm having the issue where I've got numbers showing up in Thunderbird, e.g. "unread 0 blah". This post seems to suggest I can remove it.

https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/89434?p=%2C%2C%2C20%2C0%2C0%2C0%3A%3Arecentpostdate%2Fsticky%2C%2Cthunderbird%2C20%2C2%2C20%2C86889137

However, I can't find anything searching the archives about how to get to that option button. I'm sure I'm just missing something simple. How do you get there?

Yep, and the easiest thing to do is use the Mozilla App Enhancements Add-On (definitely refer to this page for a good, short set of keyboard shortcuts for the add-on) and download the latest version from: Mozilla 1.15 (stable)

        ~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

I very much doubt displayed columns is the problem.  It sounds as though the status line is being read without you causing it to be read.  Try this solution first:
Go into the view menu, alt v.  Down arrow to
tool bars and press enter.  It’s a submenu.
Down arrow to status line, which is checked by default.  Press enter.  The menu will close and the status line won’t be displayed.

The information you are hearing is not displayed in columns.  There may be a column that indicates that a message is unread but if you have it not displayed, you will get no indication when you move to an unread message.  The column is just an icon that NVDA speaks as unread.  Information such as how many unread messages there are and whatever else you are hearing such as how many messages are in a folder is status line information.

I'm having the issue where I've got numbers showing up in Thunderbird,
e.g. "unread 0 blah". This post seems to suggest I can remove it.

https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/89434?p=%2C%2C%2C20%2C0%2C0%2C0%3A%3Arecentpostdate%2Fsticky%2C%2Cthunderbird%2C20%2C2%2C20%2C86889137

However, I can't find anything searching the archives about how to get
to that option button. I'm sure I'm just missing something simple. How
do you get there?

I just realized that the while the process for rearranging columns is obvious when the add-on is opened, the process for removing them is less so.

Once the Add-On is open to the Mozilla Columns dialog using NVDA + H, if you activate the Options button of that dialog you have focus thrown to the checklist of all the columns that can be displayed or hidden.  You just down (or up, if you need to reverse direction) arrow through the list checking the columns you want to see, and unchecking those you wish to have hidden from view.

I actually wish the up/down buttons were left/right buttons, as that's how the columns being rearranged are actually displayed, but the add-on uses the columnar arrangement for the column names much like the selection mechanism does, so they do move up or down in the dialog itself.  But the top of the list is the column displayed first/leftmost in the mailbox and the one at the bottom is the rightmost.

        ~ Dorothy Nevill

On Mon, Dec 20, 2021 at 06:10 PM, Gene wrote:
I very much doubt displayed columns is the problem.
-
I'm having some kind of stroke, I think, because what I thought I read the first time I looked at Mr. Isige's post is certainly an incorrect reading.

You are absolutely correct that this is almost certainly the old status-line issue rearing its head again.

        ~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

When I first read the message, I thought it was a columns problem but then I remembered the problem from awhile ago and I realized that columns wouldn’t cause the behavior.

I agree that the add-on interface isn’t designed well.  As I recall, you don’t get any verbal feedback when you activate the button and tabbing closes the dialog.  There ought to be something saying something like columns list or some indication of the structure and that you are in it.

I'm having the issue where I've got numbers showing up in Thunderbird,
e.g. "unread 0 blah". This post seems to suggest I can remove it.

https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/89434?p=%2C%2C%2C20%2C0%2C0%2C0%3A%3Arecentpostdate%2Fsticky%2C%2Cthunderbird%2C20%2C2%2C20%2C86889137

However, I can't find anything searching the archives about how to get
to that option button. I'm sure I'm just missing something simple. How
do you get there?

John Isige

It is not. I just turned off the status bar. I still get:  "0 Re: [nvda] Getting to the Thunderbird options button to remove columns? Brian Vogel 5:14 PM". That's literally what shows up in my list of messages, the number is right there in front of the message.

On Mon, Dec 20, 2021 at 07:31 PM, John Isige wrote:
"0 Re: [nvda] Getting to the Thunderbird options button to remove columns? Brian Vogel 5:14 PM".
-
If memory serves, the default first column in Thunderbird mailboxes is the Unread count of messages in a given thread.  If you simply hide, or move, that column out of the first position it will not be the first thing you hear.

And if I'm wrong about it being the Unread count column, then whatever column it happens to be should either be moved down (right) or hidden from view.  NVDA (any screen reader, actually) will only read the visible columns.

        ~ Dorothy Nevill

John Isige

Well, using Mozilla Enhancements, I got it to go away. Of course, in order to do that, I basically unchecked every single column. I still get message subject and all, so now I get to start adding stuff back in. Some of the numbers were 0 and some were 100. I thought it might have been unread, but that didn't make it go away. So we'll see if I can figure it out. Thanks all.

On 12/20/2021 6:36 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Dec 20, 2021 at 07:31 PM, John Isige wrote:
"0 Re: [nvda] Getting to the Thunderbird options button to remove columns? Brian Vogel 5:14 PM".
-
If memory serves, the default first column in Thunderbird mailboxes is the Unread count of messages in a given thread.  If you simply hide, or move, that column out of the first position it will not be the first thing you hear.

And if I'm wrong about it being the Unread count column, then whatever column it happens to be should either be moved down (right) or hidden from view.  NVDA (any screen reader, actually) will only read the visible columns.

        ~ Dorothy Nevill

Unless something has changed radically, the Mozilla Apps Enhancement column mover tells you which columns are on display, from left to right order, as you go from top to of the list.

It should not be necessary to hide everything and add back in as a standard practice.  You move or hide the offending columns based on what you don't want to hear, and you can infer which column is the offending one by the order in which NVDA had been reading things.

Gene

I don’t know what you are hearing.  I found a column that says total and I checked it.  It is unchecked by default.  For whatever reason, it wasn’t read by NVDA even when checked.  That is, it isn’t read on my machine.  I don’t know about other people.

Perhaps  you might clarify just what you hear and when you hear it.

It is not. I just turned off the status bar. I still get:  "0 Re: [nvda] Getting to the Thunderbird options button to remove columns? Brian Vogel 5:14 PM". That's literally what shows up in my list of messages, the number is right there in front of the message.

On 12/20/2021 5:14 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Dec 20, 2021 at 06:10 PM, Gene wrote:
I very much doubt displayed columns is the problem.
-
I'm having some kind of stroke, I think, because what I thought I read the first time I looked at Mr. Isige's post is certainly an incorrect reading.

You are absolutely correct that this is almost certainly the old status-line issue rearing its head again.

        ~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

I don’t use Thunderbird to any extent though I know a reasonable amount about it.  I was just playing with columns and I found that there is something wrong in my system.  For some reason, some columns aren’t announced even when checked.  Unread is one.  Total is another and read is another.  Therefore, what I reported earlier about what is read and unread when checked should be disregarded.  I’m sorry about the incorrect information.

[...]

In case anybody needs to know for future reference, the column that was doing it, for me anyway, was "junk status", which is the sixth one down. Without it checked, I heard "Re: [nvda] Getting to the Thunderbird options button to remove columns? Gene nvda@nvda.groups.io 7:16 PM". With it checked, I hear the exact same thing, preceded by a zero, in this particular case.

Thanks so much for helping me figure it out, both of you. It was driving me nuts!