locked GMail Basic Setting With NVDA

David Russell

Hi NVDA,
Each time I enter my Gmail account, I need to press enter on the line
that reads, "Click to go to basic."
I do not like the standard Gmail format, and want to remain in the
classic format indefinitely.
Is there a hot-key or command that will accomplish this with NVDA?
Thanks in advance, I am a digest subscriber.

Best,
--
David C. Russell, Author
david.sonofhashem@gmail.com

Gene

this has nothing to do with NVDA.  The option to cause GMail to open in basic HTML on the web site doesn’t work and hasn’t for some time.  But there is a link you can use that will always cause GMail to open in the Basic HTML view.  That link is:

Others may recommend that you use the standard view.  I don’t use the web interface to any extent and I’m not recommending anything except that if you don’t know how to use GMail in the standard view, that you ask for basic information.  You may find it much preferable to the basic view once you try it.  You have to use it in certain ways such as with the virtual pc cursor or browse mode, as it is called in NVDA, turned off.  A lot of people who use the standard view as intended by Google far prefer it to the classic view.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2021 10:14 AM
Subject: [nvda] GMail Basic Setting With NVDA

Hi NVDA,
Each time I enter my Gmail account, I need to press enter on the line
that reads, "Click to go to basic."
I do not like the standard Gmail format, and want to remain in the
classic format indefinitely.

Best,
--
David C. Russell, Author
david.sonofhashem@...

Two recent topics and posts, with which I happen to agree, since Google is phasing out the Basic HTML view:

https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/89192 

https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/89828 
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

Gene

While I usually use an e-mail program with GMail, there is an odd problem that may cause trouble one of these days. 

I can work with my actual account without problems.  But GMail, when in the standard view, thinks I am offline.  Hangouts works, but e-mail doesn’t.  I have the off line option disabled and this problem began before I even knew there was one. 

If I use the basic view, the site works as expected.  It doesn’t think I am offline. 

I’ve tried to solve the problem by using another computer and the same behavior occurs.  I’ve rebooted my fiber optic cable modem once or twice for other reasons which would have changed my ISP address and that accomplishes nothing.  I’ve done Google searches on the problem and found nothing applicable.  I’ve seen a number of suggestions, which don’t apply.
While I doubt members will have a solution that works for this odd obscure problem, I’m asking just in case. 

Gene

------Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2021 10:35 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] GMail Basic Setting With NVDA

Two recent topics and posts, with which I happen to agree, since Google is phasing out the Basic HTML view:

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

Gene

I made an error.  I mistakenly sent this message to the main NVDA group.  I will send it to the chat list.  Please answer on the chat list.

Gene
-----Orignal Message-----

Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2021 10:49 AM

While I usually use an e-mail program with GMail, there is an odd problem that may cause trouble one of these days. 

I can work with my actual account without problems.  But GMail, when in the standard view, thinks I am offline.  Hangouts works, but e-mail doesn’t.  I have the off line option disabled and this problem began before I even knew there was one. 

If I use the basic view, the site works as expected.  It doesn’t think I am offline. 

I’ve tried to solve the problem by using another computer and the same behavior occurs.  I’ve rebooted my fiber optic cable modem once or twice for other reasons which would have changed my ISP address and that accomplishes nothing.  I’ve done Google searches on the problem and found nothing applicable.  I’ve seen a number of suggestions, which don’t apply.
While I doubt members will have a solution that works for this odd obscure problem, I’m asking just in case. 

Gene
------Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2021 10:35 AM

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

Sarah k Alawami

No, learn the standard format. I love it now. If you go into focus mode you can use the keys gmail has. It really is faster than the basic ever will be. They are fazing out the basic, thank god.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Russell
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2021 8:14 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] GMail Basic Setting With NVDA

Hi NVDA,
Each time I enter my Gmail account, I need to press enter on the line that reads, "Click to go to basic."
I do not like the standard Gmail format, and want to remain in the classic format indefinitely.

Best,
--
David C. Russell, Author
david.sonofhashem@gmail.com

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 11:56 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
No, learn the standard format.
-
And I have to say the same, simply because they have stated that the basic HTML version will eventually be discontinued.

But Google has focused all sorts of effort on making the Gmail standard view far more accessible, including specific shortcuts that can be turned on if you're a screen reader user, and that's where their ongoing efforts are focused.

There was a time when I sent anyone who used a screen reader to the basic view, but those days are long gone.  Anyone who is using the basic view is, eventually, going to have that rug pulled out from beneath them.  Whistling past the graveyard . . .
--

Sarah k Alawami

I don’t know that last expression of whistling past a graveyard, but yes, learn the standard view. I don’t’ know how to use all of it, but I know enough to get myself in trouble, and nvda does read everything going on. it’s like  a mini email client in the palm of your hand.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2021 9:04 AM

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 11:56 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

No, learn the standard format.

-
And I have to say the same, simply because they have stated that the basic HTML version will eventually be discontinued.

But Google has focused all sorts of effort on making the Gmail standard view far more accessible, including specific shortcuts that can be turned on if you're a screen reader user, and that's where their ongoing efforts are focused.

There was a time when I sent anyone who used a screen reader to the basic view, but those days are long gone.  Anyone who is using the basic view is, eventually, going to have that rug pulled out from beneath them.  Whistling past the graveyard . . .
--

Dzhovani

Life is too short to learn every website's preferred way to use their product. If GMail cannot use HTML as intended, I'll pointedly use something else. My limited brain capacity is reserved for stuff where remembering 20 unique key combinations, there effects, and side effects actually matter.

Gene

You learned shortcut commands to use your e-mail program.  Do you complain about that?  This is a case where a site is serving as an e-mail platform and, of course, it is to one’s great advantage to learn certain shortcuts.  And the shortcuts may have been intentionally designed to be similar, where possible and practical, to those typically used in e-mail programs.  Perhaps alt r is reply.  That’s very similar to control r. 

While I don’t often use e-mail in web interfaces, it is a logical assumption that you would learn the small number of shortcuts such as compose, reply, and a small number of others that you would use regularly.  And if you don’t want to learn a shortcut you don’t use often, you can get to what you want in other ways.  For example, there may be a shortcut to go to the trash folder.  What if I don’t know it?  I can use the screen-reader’s search to search for trash.  But if I use the trash folder often, it would be to my advantage to learn the shortcut. 

Gene

Sent: Friday, December 17, 2021 8:37 AM

Life is too short to learn every website's preferred way to use their product. If GMail cannot use HTML as intended, I'll pointedly use something else. My limited brain capacity is reserved for stuff where remembering 20 unique key combinations, there effects, and side effects actually matter.

On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 09:37 AM, Dzhovani wrote:
If GMail cannot use HTML as intended,
-
What does that even mean?  The Gmail webmail platform is very accessible and well-laid out.

Gene has put it well.  You learn the keyboard shortcuts for the programs you wish to use, and the specific shortcuts in that program that you use frequently.  That always has been, and always will be.
--

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

Sarah k Alawami

Yeah j  for next, k for next, * plus a for select all, number  for move to j junk. If you hit the ? you will get a list of keys. Read with all punctuation on so you can get the one I posted. It is actually a very good experience.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2021 6:47 AM

You learned shortcut commands to use your e-mail program.  Do you complain about that?  This is a case where a site is serving as an e-mail platform and, of course, it is to one’s great advantage to learn certain shortcuts.  And the shortcuts may have been intentionally designed to be similar, where possible and practical, to those typically used in e-mail programs.  Perhaps alt r is reply.  That’s very similar to control r. 

While I don’t often use e-mail in web interfaces, it is a logical assumption that you would learn the small number of shortcuts such as compose, reply, and a small number of others that you would use regularly.  And if you don’t want to learn a shortcut you don’t use often, you can get to what you want in other ways.  For example, there may be a shortcut to go to the trash folder.  What if I don’t know it?  I can use the screen-reader’s search to search for trash.  But if I use the trash folder often, it would be to my advantage to learn the shortcut. 

Gene

Nimer Jaber

If GMail cannot use HTML as intended, I'll pointedly use something else.
Web apps are relatively new, and provide screen reader users enhancements above and beyond what basic HTML offers. Web apps allow you to get a much less cluttered experience, which in many cases, is more efficient. Consider, for instance, facebook.com as an example. While it is true that you can arrow throughout the entire site, and you can navigate by HTML elements, you will immediately find that you get overwhelmed if you do so, because of all the stuff on the page. However, if you use its built-in keyboard shortcuts in web app mode, you will discover that you can easily jump between posts, comment on one with a single letter command, post a status with a single letter command, etc. This goes for Twitter, YouTube and YouTube Music, Gmail, Office 365, and a growing number of other sites. Simply making the statement that you're happy using the web in HTML mode will make you less productive, less efficient, and will make you want to rip your hairs out with a very many number of sites.

Please, I urge you, consider getting training on the use of web apps. If your trainer doesn't know about, care about, or bother to teach them, give them a bad review and request another. If you learn best without a trainer, then please consider looking up information on how to access your web app of choice with its built-in keyboard commands.

I do think that screen reader vendors need to also build in specific tutorials and guides in their manuals specific to web apps, as they have done for Word, Excel, and some other apps, and as they have done with the web in general. Freedom Scientific is ahead on this, as they've put together some tutorials on some common web apps like Gmail.

Nonetheless, I cannot emphasize any more than I already am, the vital importance that learning and getting comfortable with web apps will impact your screen reader usage on a growing number of sites.

Dan Beaver

I have tried to use the standard view and have tried using the shortcut keys they publish.  however, I can't get the shortcuts to work. When I press them I get no response and no action from Firefox on the google page at all.  I have tried them on the gmail page as well.

Are the shortcut keys supposed to be combined with some other keys or something?

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

On 12/17/2021 10:58 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Yeah j  for next, k for next, * plus a for select all, number  for move to j junk. If you hit the ? you will get a list of keys. Read with all punctuation on so you can get the one I posted. It is actually a very good experience.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene

Gene

-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Gene

You have to turn keyboard shortcuts on.
  This is a Google web page snippet.  If you have problems doing what is directed, let us know.

Open Gmail .
At the top right, click Settings. See all settings.
Scroll to the Keyboard shortcuts section and select Keyboard shortcuts on.
At the bottom, click Save Changes.

Gene

Sent: Friday, December 17, 2021 11:08 AM

I have tried to use the standard view and have tried using the shortcut keys they publish.  however, I can't get the shortcuts to work. When I press them I get no response and no action from Firefox on the google page at all.  I have tried them on the gmail page as well.

Are the shortcut keys supposed to be combined with some other keys or something?

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

Yeah j  for next, k for next, * plus a for select all, number  for move to j junk. If you hit the ? you will get a list of keys. Read with all punctuation on so you can get the one I posted. It is actually a very good experience.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io On Behalf Of Gene

Gene

-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Laurie Mehta

Hi Nimer and others,

Does NVDA have the type of tutorials that you are talking about here below?

Thanks for any information on these!

-LM

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Nimer Jaber
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2021 8:15 AM

If GMail cannot use HTML as intended, I'll pointedly use something else.

Web apps are relatively new, and provide screen reader users enhancements above and beyond what basic HTML offers. Web apps allow you to get a much less cluttered experience, which in many cases, is more efficient. Consider, for instance, facebook.com as an example. While it is true that you can arrow throughout the entire site, and you can navigate by HTML elements, you will immediately find that you get overwhelmed if you do so, because of all the stuff on the page. However, if you use its built-in keyboard shortcuts in web app mode, you will discover that you can easily jump between posts, comment on one with a single letter command, post a status with a single letter command, etc. This goes for Twitter, YouTube and YouTube Music, Gmail, Office 365, and a growing number of other sites. Simply making the statement that you're happy using the web in HTML mode will make you less productive, less efficient, and will make you want to rip your hairs out with a very many number of sites.

Please, I urge you, consider getting training on the use of web apps. If your trainer doesn't know about, care about, or bother to teach them, give them a bad review and request another. If you learn best without a trainer, then please consider looking up information on how to access your web app of choice with its built-in keyboard commands.

I do think that screen reader vendors need to also build in specific tutorials and guides in their manuals specific to web apps, as they have done for Word, Excel, and some other apps, and as they have done with the web in general. Freedom Scientific is ahead on this, as they've put together some tutorials on some common web apps like Gmail.

Nonetheless, I cannot emphasize any more than I already am, the vital importance that learning and getting comfortable with web apps will impact your screen reader usage on a growing number of sites.

Dan Beaver

Yep, I had done that already but just double checked and it says keyboard shortcuts are on.  Still no response to the keys though.

Do I need to use another key with the indicated shortcut keys?  I have tried alt and ctrl but still nothing.

Dan Beaver

On 12/17/2021 12:16 PM, Gene wrote:
  This is a Google web page snippet.  If you have problems doing what is directed, let us know.

Open Gmail .

Gene

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

Yeah j  for next, k for next, * plus a for select all, number  for move to j junk. If you hit the ? you will get a list of keys. Read with all punctuation on so you can get the one I posted. It is actually a very good experience.

Gene

-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)
-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Nimer Jaber

Do I need to use another key with the indicated shortcut keys?
No, you don't. Be sure that you are using NVDA with focus mode, not browse mode. Also, be sure that you are not in an edit field when attempting to use the shortcuts, as otherwise, you will be typing in text.

Thanks.

Gene

I don’t know what is causing the problem.  Others may have an idea.  I don’t think this should matter but I seldom have used Internet site keyboarde shortcuts and I may be wrong.  Have you tried them both with browse mode on and off? 

Gene

Sent: Friday, December 17, 2021 11:44 AM

Yep, I had done that already but just double checked and it says keyboard shortcuts are on.  Still no response to the keys though.

Do I need to use another key with the indicated shortcut keys?  I have tried alt and ctrl but still nothing.

Dan Beaver

On 12/17/2021 12:16 PM, Gene wrote:

Open Gmail .

Gene

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

Gene

-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)
-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Nimer Jaber

Does NVDA have the type of tutorials that you are talking about here below?
I am not aware of an NVDA tutorial covering the use of web apps put out by nvaccess, but others in the community have done this. I've put out a few tutorials for web apps at my YouTube channel, for example. Check out the channel and any videos on that channel at youtube.com/blindtechadventures. There are videos there for accessing Gmail with standard mode, accessing Facebook, using Google Docs, etc.