Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2021 10:14 AM
Subject: [nvda] GMail Basic Setting With NVDA

Hi NVDA,
Each time I enter my Gmail account, I need to press enter on the line
that reads, "Click to go to basic."
I do not like the standard Gmail format, and want to remain in the
classic format indefinitely.
Is there a hot-key or command that will accomplish this with NVDA?
Thanks in advance, I am a digest subscriber.

Best,
--
David C. Russell, Author
david.sonofhashem@...

Two recent topics and posts, with which I happen to agree, since Google is phasing out the Basic HTML view:

https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/89192

https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/89828

While I usually use an e-mail program with GMail, there is an odd problem that may cause trouble one of these days.

I can work with my actual account without problems.  But GMail, when in the standard view, thinks I am offline.  Hangouts works, but e-mail doesn’t.  I have the off line option disabled and this problem began before I even knew there was one.

If I use the basic view, the site works as expected.  It doesn’t think I am offline.

I’ve tried to solve the problem by using another computer and the same behavior occurs.  I’ve rebooted my fiber optic cable modem once or twice for other reasons which would have changed my ISP address and that accomplishes nothing.  I’ve done Google searches on the problem and found nothing applicable.  I’ve seen a number of suggestions, which don’t apply.
While I doubt members will have a solution that works for this odd obscure problem, I’m asking just in case.

Gene

Two recent topics and posts, with which I happen to agree, since Google is phasing out the Basic HTML view:

https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/89192

https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/89828

I made an error.  I mistakenly sent this message to the main NVDA group.  I will send it to the chat list.  Please answer on the chat list.

Gene

Two recent topics and posts, with which I happen to agree, since Google is phasing out the Basic HTML view:

https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/89192

https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/89828

Sarah k Alawami

No, learn the standard format. I love it now. If you go into focus mode you can use the keys gmail has. It really is faster than the basic ever will be. They are fazing out the basic, thank god.

david.sonofhashem@gmail.com

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 11:56 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
No, learn the standard format.
-
And I have to say the same, simply because they have stated that the basic HTML version will eventually be discontinued.

But Google has focused all sorts of effort on making the Gmail standard view far more accessible, including specific shortcuts that can be turned on if you're a screen reader user, and that's where their ongoing efforts are focused.

There was a time when I sent anyone who used a screen reader to the basic view, but those days are long gone.  Anyone who is using the basic view is, eventually, going to have that rug pulled out from beneath them.  Whistling past the graveyard . . .

Sarah k Alawami

I don’t know that last expression of whistling past a graveyard, but yes, learn the standard view. I don’t’ know how to use all of it, but I know enough to get myself in trouble, and nvda does read everything going on. it’s like  a mini email client in the palm of your hand.

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 11:56 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

No, learn the standard format.

-
And I have to say the same, simply because they have stated that the basic HTML version will eventually be discontinued.

But Google has focused all sorts of effort on making the Gmail standard view far more accessible, including specific shortcuts that can be turned on if you're a screen reader user, and that's where their ongoing efforts are focused.

There was a time when I sent anyone who used a screen reader to the basic view, but those days are long gone.  Anyone who is using the basic view is, eventually, going to have that rug pulled out from beneath them.  Whistling past the graveyard . . .

Dzhovani

Life is too short to learn every website's preferred way to use their product. If GMail cannot use HTML as intended, I'll pointedly use something else. My limited brain capacity is reserved for stuff where remembering 20 unique key combinations, there effects, and side effects actually matter.

Gene

You learned shortcut commands to use your e-mail program.  Do you complain about that?  This is a case where a site is serving as an e-mail platform and, of course, it is to one’s great advantage to learn certain shortcuts.  And the shortcuts may have been intentionally designed to be similar, where possible and practical, to those typically used in e-mail programs.  Perhaps alt r is reply.  That’s very similar to control r.

While I don’t often use e-mail in web interfaces, it is a logical assumption that you would learn the small number of shortcuts such as compose, reply, and a small number of others that you would use regularly.  And if you don’t want to learn a shortcut you don’t use often, you can get to what you want in other ways.  For example, there may be a shortcut to go to the trash folder.  What if I don’t know it?  I can use the screen-reader’s search to search for trash.  But if I use the trash folder often, it would be to my advantage to learn the shortcut.