Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2020 12:39 AM
Subject: [nvda] google and insecure apps

Hi.

To those on outlook and other programs as long as your program supports
o auth 2 it will be fine.

Even though thunderbird with normal passwords works fine with o auth I
get a faster experience with sending and recieving.

I did have less secure apps on, but just turned it off since now I am
able to use o auth in thunderbird I have no desire or need to leave that
active.

Becides google keeps complaining about it every so often so I don't have it.

If you currently use outlook as a home user and either don't use any
advanced features or are only using it for mail, I'd personally switch
to thunderbird and turn on o auth so that you can get mail without this
insecure stuff.

You can also buy office 2019 which should have this security standard.

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 06:09 AM, Gene wrote:
Since GMail considers almost every program to be less secure
This is absolutely incorrect.  I haven't had to have "less secure apps" turned on for a couple of years now, since any modern programs that attempt to access Google long ago were updated to employ OAUTH2.

If you are using an ancient e-mail client like Outlook Express or Windows Live Mail (of a certain age, anyway) you'll have to enable the less secure apps option, and even then only sometimes.  You have the option of using app-specific passwords (but that's only if you have 2-step verification on - and I never do as I consider it gross overkill on my Google account).

Even utilities to do things like mass deletion of Google Calendar events or to sync Google Contacts and Calendar to Outlook are OAUTH2 compliant.