Google Assistant App Under Windows - Accessing the Microphone Button

Monte Single

Hi List,  I do apologize if this subject is not really on topic.

I just had my nephew help me install the google assistant on my win 11 pc

I am using  current versions of m s edge,   win11 20h2 and  nvda.

I know that google assistant is working with my usb insignia mic.  We tested it.

When I open the google assistant app,, my nephew said ther was a mic icon on the screen.

I’ve tried using various menu and browser keys, but I cannot get to the mic icon to activate it.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Mont

Monte,

I've expanded the title of this topic for clarity's sake.  The question regarding how to access an app control with NVDA is definitely on topic.  Had you been asking something like, "After I activate the microphone button, what can I do?," would not have been.  That's a question about the Google Assistant app itself.

Just curious if you've tried object navigation?  I don't use the Google Assistant app but if memory serves it is a universal app and often those require object navigation.
--

Brian Virginia, USA  Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

         ~ Austin O'Malley

Monte Single

Hi Brian,

Mia Culpa, I’m guilty!

I  do not really know what object navigation mode is.

When I open the google assistant app, I use the tab key and that really does not do anything.  I use the insert key plus the spacebar, to switch between browse mode and  some other mode and this stil   does not give more options.

I can land in  and edit field where I cantype something,  but still no joy.

Maybe there is something very simple I am missing.

Thanks,

Mont

I've expanded the title of this topic for clarity's sake.  The question regarding how to access an app control with NVDA is definitely on topic.  Had you been asking something like, "After I activate the microphone button, what can I do?," would not have been.  That's a question about the Google Assistant app itself.

Just curious if you've tried object navigation?  I don't use the Google Assistant app but if memory serves it is a universal app and often those require object navigation.
--

Brian Virginia, USA  Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

         ~ Austin O'Malley

Monte,

Since I can't answer your question about how to access the button, I do have to ask you why you're trying to use Google Assistant on a PC?  While it can be rigged through a very complex process to function on Windows 10 & 11, it is really not intended for that platform and it's clear that Google doesn't intend it to be there, at least not at this time.

I'd suggest using Cortana or even Alexa, both of which are fully supported Windows Apps.

I doubt there's anything simple you're missing, and heaven knows (for the curious) the process for getting Google Assistant on a Windows machine is insanely complex.  Even I wouldn't go through those gyrations.

If the previously linked steps are what you did (or an assistant to you did) then you are not dealing with Google Assistant.  It really makes little sense to use unsupported software (and Google Assistant is not officially supported under Windows) when other supported options exist.
--

Brian Virginia, USA  Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

         ~ Austin O'Malley

Brian's Mail list account

I think that google gives better information than Alexa or the Microsoft one, but until they make it into a proper application, such as Google Meets etc, its probably not accessible. You could try looking for short cut keys on their help section, there may well be some, but from what I hear its not the most friendly piece of software, sadly.

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I doubt there's anything simple you're missing, and heaven knows (for the curious) the process for getting Google Assistant on a Windows machine ( https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-set-up-google-assistant-on-windows-10 ) is insanely complex. Even I wouldn't go through those gyrations.

If the previously linked steps are what you did (or an assistant to you did) then you are not dealing with Google Assistant. It really makes little sense to use unsupported software (and Google Assistant is not officially supported under Windows) when other supported options exist.
--

Brian - Virginia, USA - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

Quentin Christensen

I can't find an official page of help, but on this article: https://www.gadgettechfeed.com/article/how-to-get-google-assistant-for-pc It says windows+shift+a

On Sat, Oct 1, 2022 at 8:34 AM Monte Single <mrsingle@...> wrote:

Hi List,  I do apologize if this subject is not really on topic.

I just had my nephew help me install the google assistant on my win 11 pc

I am using  current versions of m s edge,   win11 20h2 and  nvda.

I know that google assistant is working with my usb insignia mic.  We tested it.

When I open the google assistant app,, my nephew said ther was a mic icon on the screen.

I’ve tried using various menu and browser keys, but I cannot get to the mic icon to activate it.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Mont

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Monte Single

Greetings and Salutations Quentin

Thank you for your small but key piece of information regarding the Google  Assistant on pc.

Today,  A sighted friend of mine  who  has a basic idea of the difference between a   screen reader and a mouse, came by and we poked around with the google assistant app for a bit.

Yes, thw win key+shift+a activates the mic, and you have to do this key combo each time you want to ask a question.

We continued to  try different keystrokes, and at 1 pint found the setings menu;  it was not at the top of the screen.

In the settings menu we found a radio button to set the mic to on and thus no longer need to use the win key+shift+a combo to activate the mic.

Not bad for a pc app that is not supported by micro soft or google.

It is basicly useable.

Things can only get better.

Cheers,

Mont

Hi List,  I do apologize if this subject is not really on topic.

I just had my nephew help me install the google assistant on my win 11 pc

I am using  current versions of m s edge,   win11 20h2 and  nvda.

I know that google assistant is working with my usb insignia mic.  We tested it.

When I open the google assistant app,, my nephew said ther was a mic icon on the screen.

I’ve tried using various menu and browser keys, but I cannot get to the mic icon to activate it.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Mont

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Quentin Christensen

Ah well done Mont!

Do let us know how you go with it now you've got it working.

Quentin.