Topics

Google Chrome Settings

Chris Mullins

Hi

      Is anyone using Google Chrome and can they confirm if the settings page is accessible using navigation quick keys?

Cheers

Chris

My chris.mullins4@... address will soon be closed

Please substitute this new address in your contacts list

Kevin Chao

Chrome settings seems all accessible with quick-nav keys here

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 6:33 AM Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:

Hi

      Is anyone using Google Chrome and can they confirm if the settings page is accessible using navigation quick keys?

Cheers

Chris

My chris.mullins4@... address will soon be closed

Please substitute this new address in your contacts list

Gene

You can try to see what the case is when you do.  I seldom change settings after I initially did but when I tried recently, I couldn't use the quick key navigation.  I wasn't using a current version of NVDA so I don't know if that would matter.

Sent: Saturday, March 26, 2016 8:31 AM
Subject: [nvda] Google Chrome Settings

Hi

      Is anyone using Google Chrome and can they confirm if the settings page is accessible using navigation quick keys?

Cheers

Chris

My chris.mullins4@... address will soon be closed

Please substitute this new address in your contacts list

Chris Mullins

Could you confirm the Crome version on that?  I’m using Chrome version 49.0.2623.87 and when I load the Settings, NVDA lands me in a Search edit box and even though i have got automatic focus  mode for focus changes and Caret movement checked in the NVDA Browse settings, focus and browse modes do not engage and if invoked manually via NVDA+spacebar, Quick nav keys such as h and d will still not work.

I’ve loaded Chrome Canary and the quick keys work fine on the settings page.  It’s driving me mad.

Cheers

Chris

Chrome settings seems all accessible with quick-nav keys here

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 6:33 AM Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:

Hi

      Is anyone using Google Chrome and can they confirm if the settings page is accessible using navigation quick keys?

Cheers

Chris

My chris.mullins4@... address will soon be closed

Please substitute this new address in your contacts list

Gene

I seem to recall being able to use quick navigation keys awhile ago.  This may be just one more regression in the Chrome interface because, as I said, I couldn't use them recently.  that was with the same older version of NVDA.

I also found, recently, that much of the about text was no longer accessible.

It looks as though you will have to move through everything item by item, thanks to Chrome's obsession with upgrading the browser frenetically and not having perhaps the time or perhaps the staff to check to see if they have damaged or broken accessibility.  As I recall, I used to be able to use the search feature in NVDA so I could move very quickly to something I already knew was on the page.  I couldn't the last time I tried.  .

Chrome settings seems all accessible with quick-nav keys here

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 6:33 AM Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:

Hi

      Is anyone using Google Chrome and can they confirm if the settings page is accessible using navigation quick keys?

Cheers

Chris

My chris.mullins4@... address will soon be closed

Please substitute this new address in your contacts list

Kevin Chao

Settings, about, version, etc. are all accessible with NVDA 2016.1 for me

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 12:19 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

But you said you are using Canary.  I'm not.  I believe Canary is many versions ahead of what most users have.  Maybe the developers corrected the problems being discussed in later versions.  That, in my opinion, really doesn't make it alright for them to break things off and on in their rush to upgrade.

Chrome settings seems all accessible with quick-nav keys here

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 6:33 AM Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:

Hi

      Is anyone using Google Chrome and can they confirm if the settings page is accessible using navigation quick keys?

Cheers

Chris

My chris.mullins4@... address will soon be closed

Please substitute this new address in your contacts list

Kevin Chao

It's possible to run Canary along side stable-production, so they do not conflict at all.

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 12:35 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
But you said you are using Canary.  I'm not.  I believe Canary is many versions ahead of what most users have.  Maybe the developers corrected the problems being discussed in later versions.  That, in my opinion, really doesn't make it alright for them to break things off and on in their rush to upgrade.

Chrome settings seems all accessible with quick-nav keys here

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 6:33 AM Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:

Hi

      Is anyone using Google Chrome and can they confirm if the settings page is accessible using navigation quick keys?

Cheers

Chris

My chris.mullins4@... address will soon be closed

Please substitute this new address in your contacts list

Chris Mullins

Canary works for me too on the settings.  Have you tried Bookmarking a page though?  The bookmark dialog is all ‘unknown’ and the menu list doesn’t read properly as there are gaps in the list following the Zoom and Edit entries.

Cheers

Chris

Chrome settings seems all accessible with quick-nav keys here

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 6:33 AM Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:

Hi

      Is anyone using Google Chrome and can they confirm if the settings page is accessible using navigation quick keys?

Cheers

Chris

My chris.mullins4@... address will soon be closed

Please substitute this new address in your contacts list

Chris Mullins

Hi Gene

Yes, it’s the standard Chrome release that is causing me greif.  I’m using 2016.1 on version 49 of Chrome.  NVDA version 2015.4 worked fine with Chrome version 48, so it would be helpful if you could confirm your Chrome and NVDA versions and whether quick nav keys work in the settings page for you.

Cheers

Chris

But you said you are using Canary.  I'm not.  I believe Canary is many versions ahead of what most users have.  Maybe the developers corrected the problems being discussed in later versions.  That, in my opinion, really doesn't make it alright for them to break things off and on in their rush to upgrade.

Chrome settings seems all accessible with quick-nav keys here

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 6:33 AM Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:

Hi

      Is anyone using Google Chrome and can they confirm if the settings page is accessible using navigation quick keys?

Cheers

Chris

My chris.mullins4@... address will soon be closed

Please substitute this new address in your contacts list

Gene

My previous version was 49x it may have been something like 49.9 and perhaps a few more numbers.  I had the same inability to use quick navigation keys in that version.  My program updated today when I was trying to get my version information.  I couldn't get it properly because such trivial information is no longer visible to screen-readers, at least not the two I tested with, an older version of NVDA and an older version of JAWS.  I didn't test with a newer version of NVDA but I doubt it matters.  Whatever the newest general release version is, that should be the one I have.

But don't worry.  Evidently, things work properly in Canary so one of these days, they will probably work properly one or two versions from now.  Then everything will be wonderful again until the developers break something else, may be six or eight months from now.

I'm sorry, but I have no patience for companies that profess a strong commitment to accessibility repeatedly and then don't examine their browser to make sure they don't break things.  And to make matters worse, you don't have any control over updates.  You can't turn off updates.

But you said you are using Canary.  I'm not.  I believe Canary is many versions ahead of what most users have.  Maybe the developers corrected the problems being discussed in later versions.  That, in my opinion, really doesn't make it alright for them to break things off and on in their rush to upgrade.

Chrome settings seems all accessible with quick-nav keys here

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 6:33 AM Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:

Hi

      Is anyone using Google Chrome and can they confirm if the settings page is accessible using navigation quick keys?

Cheers

Chris

My chris.mullins4@... address will soon be closed

Please substitute this new address in your contacts list

Kevin Chao

Type following in Omnibar for version number: chrome://version

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 4:49 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you.  My version is 49.0.2623.108

But you said you are using Canary.  I'm not.  I believe Canary is many versions ahead of what most users have.  Maybe the developers corrected the problems being discussed in later versions.  That, in my opinion, really doesn't make it alright for them to break things off and on in their rush to upgrade.

Chrome settings seems all accessible with quick-nav keys here

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 6:33 AM Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:

Hi

      Is anyone using Google Chrome and can they confirm if the settings page is accessible using navigation quick keys?

Cheers

Chris

My chris.mullins4@... address will soon be closed

Please substitute this new address in your contacts list

Gene

For what it's worth, the inaccessible about page in the current production release version of Chrome is accessible with Window-eyes.  Also, you can use quick navigation keys in settings with Window-eyes.  If you already have Window-eyes installed, you may want to use it for these purposes.  If you don't, by the time you install it and set it up as you wish you will probably have done far more work than just going through the inconvenience of tabbing through the settings page.

Gene